What's new

The Order of the Fat

So, tomorrow if my first foray into Da Fat. My go-to soaps are Tabac and Arko (stick) with a parade of other "try me" soap to round out 4 in the drawer.

I've soaked the puck in it's cute little ceramic bowl for two days, and did a test lather tonight. Total success, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning. Going for broke with my French point Rigarazor on deck. We shall see...

First shave with MWF today.
IMG_20200626_071536-01.jpeg

Joseph Smith "Universally Approved Concave Razor Set Ready For Use"
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Pinaud Clubman

I had soaked the puck for two days prior to use. In that time it expanded to fill the ceramic dish.

Loaded it like any other soap and built the lather in my scuttle. It seemed to start out thick and then got "airy", but not "runny", as I added water. I continued to work it in the scuttle and it started collapsing into a thick, creamy, slick lather with plenty of volume for three or more full passes.

Great slickness and residual slickness with a very neutral but "clean" scent. Reminded me of clothes fresh out of the dryer. The post shave feel was sublime. I get it.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Mitchell's was my first ever proper soap after a couple of decades with canned foam and then gels. Since that first purchase, the only other soap I've added is Palmolive shave stick for travel (and occasional home use).

I just stumbled across this thread and I’m not sure how I missed it in the past. How does one become a member of The Order of the Fat?

I use MWF bath soap exclusively, and while I’ve struggled with The Fat, I think I am finally starting to dial it in. I have a dab of TOBS Coconut left, which will be gone in the next couple of shaves, never to be replaced. I am ready to fully commit to The Fat.

I've had a tub of the Fat for a bit now. Heard and read horror stories about loading this product. About a month ago finally got the nerve up to give it a shot. Went very well I must say. Will try the Marcos method this evening as I've been wanting to give that a go as well. Report to follow...

I've had a tub of the Fat for a bit now. Heard and read horror stories about loading this product. About a month ago finally got the nerve up to give it a shot. Went very well I must say. Will try the Marcos method this evening as I've been wanting to give that a go as well. Report to follow...
I’ve used the Marco method the last two shaves. It went very well.

....not so great for me I'm afraid. I grabbed the boar from the fridge after it had been soaking for 3 days, I'm thinking that was my first mistake. Next try will be dry, soak while shower then Marco that hog. Puck kept spinning in the container too and I wonder if that had any bearing? Still got a great shave but you could tell it wasn't super loaded, enough for 3 passes though thinning out by the end. Great face feel now BBS for sure, me likee lanolin. The sandalwood went well.....

IMG_20200909_204506.jpg IMG_20200909_204606.jpg

....not so great for me I'm afraid. I grabbed the boar from the fridge after it had been soaking for 3 days, I'm thinking that was my first mistake. Next try will be dry, soak while shower then Marco that hog. Puck kept spinning in the container too and I wonder if that had any bearing? Still got a great shave but you could tell it wasn't super loaded, enough for 3 passes though thinning out by the end. Great face feel now BBS for sure, me likee lanolin. The sandalwood went well.....

View attachment 1152776 View attachment 1152777
If the puck is spinning you need to hydrate it. Put a layer of water over the puck for about a week. Check it from day to day and when it swells to fit the ceramic container, you are ready to go.

View attachment 1152776 View attachment 1152777
A spinning Puck definitely doesn't load as much soap as a stationary one. so that was probably the issue with that particular shave. if that ever happens, I just stick my thumb in there while I'm loading to keep it still. often the soap residue after one or two shaves that builds up down in the bottom will be enough to anchor it down for good.

sometimes I will also shave a little bit off the top and press those shavings around on the side which often will lock it down.

I prefer not to waterlog my soaps, and so I would not do the soaking it in water for a week thing, but who knows, that might be the best way. What I sometimes do is take enough of those shreds and put them around the side so that it kind of fills in the empty spots, or I will shred the whole Puck and press those shreds down in the container, which of course conforms perfectly.

I've also heard that you can wet the bottom of the soap really well and then press it into the bottom of the container and let it dry and it will lock in place. and this very well may be the same effect as what I mentioned at the end of my first paragraph.

(Sent from mobile)

A spinning Puck definitely doesn't load as much soap as a stationary one. so that was probably the issue with that particular shave. if that ever happens, I just stick my thumb in there while I'm loading to keep it still. often the soap residue after one or two shaves that builds up down in the bottom will be enough to anchor it down for good.

sometimes I will also shave a little bit off the top and press those shavings around on the side which often will lock it down.

I prefer not to waterlog my soaps, and so I would not do the soaking it in water for a week thing, but who knows, that might be the best way. What I sometimes do is take enough of those shreds and put them around the side so that it kind of fills in the empty spots, or I will shred the whole Puck and press those shreds down in the container, which of course conforms perfectly.

I've also heard that you can wet the bottom of the soap really well and then press it into the bottom of the container and let it dry and it will lock in place. and this very well may be the same effect as what I mentioned at the end of my first paragraph.

(Sent from mobile)
According to another member of B&B, who lives near the Mitchell’s storefront, he spoke to the people at Mitchell’s and they told him to cover the puck with water and wait for it to expand until it filled the ceramic container. Once it expanded, it was properly hydrated and ready for use. The Fat is a different animal from most other soaps.

Check out post #354

Last edited:

(Sent from mobile)

No need to use your thumb or to grate the puck down to fit the dish, you need to hydrate the soap to fit the dish as it swells into it. That's why people are saying when using the soap it gets better the more you use it because they start with a dry soap, and everyday use it gets water and soaks it in so hydrating the soap to start with the job is done....

This is mine that has been hydrated no grating of the soap or a thumb to hold it

20201107_131020.jpg

Once you do this you don't need to beat it to death or load it like you hate it and then more and it keeps its goodness for out of this world shaves and loads of lather...

Trust me you won't regret it....

Top Bottom