What's new

The Order of the Fat

Lanny says, "May da Fat be with you."

Attachments

• LannySkywalker_zps84d22d4_edit_1402857052112_zpszewuuv2n.jpg
    LannySkywalker_zps84d22d4_edit_1402857052112_zpszewuuv2n.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 6
Surprised that I've missed this thread until now. Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) has become one of my favorite soaps over the past few months.

I've found that with my boar brush it is easy to create plenty of rich and slick lather from a dry puck that does not require blooming. Enjoy the mild aroma and post shave feel from MWF. My puck is currently stored in a repurposed Razorock "What the Puck" container that is a perfect fit. When shaving I first build lather directly on the puck in a 4" high plastic container and then finish the process via face lathering. Picture of my boar brush with remaining lather after a 2 pass shave from last Saturday below. Second picture shows my MWF puck, storage and lathering containers.

MWF also does a nice job of packaging its pucks with an inner wrapper of waxed paper that's placed in an elegant double box with the iconic MWF logo printed on it. Thanks to Connaught Shaving and current exchange rates I've recently stocked up on MWF. Also acquired a MWF ceramic container that I'll put into use once this first puck is 3017'd.

Attachments

• MWFLather10_22_22.jpg
    MWFLather10_22_22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • MWFSoap10_22_22.jpg
    MWFSoap10_22_22.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Okay, I finally did it. I was scared off from MWF by those who say it is too difficult to use, won't lather, blah, blah, blah. Well, I conquered GFT hard shaving soap so I have no fear. I got some MWF and soaked the puck in a container overnight in water, covering it completely. I put the lid on and let it soak. Then, the next day, I took the lid off and the soap had rehydrated and soaked up the water. The little water that remained I used as a preshave. It lathered nicely as I rubbed it in and I started just to shave with it! Then, I wet my brush and squeezed and shook most of the water out and began to load my brush. I loaded for at least 30 seconds, or so, and what I had was already creamy. I moved to my bowl and began to build the lather. It was nice and cottony/yogurt like. I painted it on my face and it was really thick. I added a bit of water and kept painting for a few more passes. Then, I took my straight razor and started shaving. It was really nice. Good slickness. I did have a couple of spots where the razor wanted to stop and I attributed that to there not being enough water in the soap. The lather lasted really well and I didn't have to relather, except for a place I accidentally wiped off when skin stretching. Then, I washed off my face and relathered. The second pass against the grain was slick and easy. I do need to add more water next time. I washed off my face at least six or seven times and there was still residual slickness! Wow!

I got a glorious shave that was very close. I had no irritation, no nicks, and no weepers. An added plus is I love the light, clean scent. I hate soaps that make me smell like a $2 whore on Saturday night. This is nice and clean. I would love an aftershave that smelled like this.

Anyway, I'm a convert. Great, simple, old fashioned soap, that gives better than far more expensive artisan soaps I have wasted my money on.

Oh, and if anyone has allergies to peanuts, don't use Haslinger's. Peanuts are one of the ingredients. It is not as good as MWF for that reason. It could be deadly to someone.

Oh, and if anyone has allergies to peanuts, don't use Haslinger's. Peanuts are one of the ingredients. It is not as good as MWF for that reason. It could be deadly to someone.
Surprising but true in the tallow free formula. Note that it is peanut oil, not peanuts themselves. Assuming this oil is saponified in the soap making process would it still cause problems for those allergic to peanuts? Is so you may want to give this it's own thread on the shave soap forum to confirm that this is an issue and if so warn those allergic.

From the Maggards web site:

This is the new tallow free formula.

Ingredients: potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, aqua (water), sodium palm kernelate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lanolin, lecithin, sodium hydroxide, alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyd, CI 77891

Surprising but true in the tallow free formula. Note that it is peanut oil, not peanuts themselves. Assuming this oil is saponified in the soap making process would it still cause problems for those allergic to peanuts? Is so you may want to give this it's own thread on the shave soap forum to confirm that this is an issue and if so warn those allergic.

From the Maggards web site:

This is the new tallow free formula.

Ingredients: potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, aqua (water), sodium palm kernelate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lanolin, lecithin, sodium hydroxide, alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyd, CI 77891
Yes, peanut oil can cause problems in some people. There is a canned gel sold at most stores that has this, too, and i've seen it make people's skin swell.

BUT, MWF is nice and clean from such poisons! I had another great shave, today.

Yes, peanut oil can cause problems in some people. There is a canned gel sold at most stores that has this, too, and i've seen it make people's skin swell.

BUT, MWF is nice and clean from such poisons! I had another great shave, today.
Agree on MWF. Just posted a new thread on the peanut oil topic with a reference and link to your original post. Buried in this MWF thread few will see it and as a health risk it needs more priority. Also added a university article link confirming it could be a risk. Not surprisingly, per soap forums the main reason peanut oil is used is that it works well and is cheaper than other similar options.

P.S. Regarding your original MWF post above, if you use a boar brush and build lather right on the puck you don't need to bloom the puck in advance. Just soak the boar in warm water for a couple of minutes prior to use. Works beautifully on my dry MWF puck.

I used my Yaqi Cola 22mm brush, today. The Fat did not disappoint. I got a BBS shave everywhere but on one spot I didn't get to well on my lower neck. I used a H. Diamond 1000, beautiful razor and high quality. It shaves like a dream, so easy to use. The MWF gave me a thick, creamy lather that I had to thin down with some water on my brush tips as I painted. Great smelling, too. Love it. Tomorrow, I will revert to my Shavemac Fiber and my Thiers Issard. Happy times.

A lot of soaps have so much perfume and other ingredients known to cause allergies. Da Fat, unless a person is allergic to lanolin, is a good safe bet.

Just received my first puck of MWF this week. Only used it once due to traveling for Thanksgiving (took another soap with me) but I was super impressed. Nice lather, slick and protective. To me the scent reminds me of the now discontinued Palmolive stick which I always liked. Can’t wait to get back home so I can use it again.

A stern test of any soap is getting a great shave even when you screw up your lather. In this regard, the Fat delivered big time for me today!

This morning I had to really rush my shave and my lathering technique left a LOT to be desired (it consisted of just a few swirls of the brush on the soap and a few more on my face). The lather looked dodgy as hell but it functioned perfectly...

MWF is the only soap I have used that can achieve this. Any other soap would have yielded a very rough shave indeed - the effects of which I would be dealing with for a couple of days afterwards.

Long live The Fat 🙂

Top Bottom