What's new

The obsessive tinkerer and his first Mossberg 590a1

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So as a confessed obsessive tinkerer, I couldn’t leave the Mossberg alone. I took the thing apart probably 5 times already each time to try and fine tune the darned thing.

What I have learned so far.

First thing I noticed was tolerances on the Magpul fore end anti rotation insert is way too close. When I first installed it it was fine. But when I field stripped the rifle the first time I noticed I hadn’t tightened the castlenut down far enough. 8 rotations later it was hand snug. It binded a bit so I backed it off. I field stripped the thing, bent the elevator a bit so it centered better and put everything back together. Wouldn’t you know the pump stuck in the fully back position. I figure I munged up the elevator.

So I stripped the thing again, and took the time to look at all the parts. There was a bit of flash on the edges of the interrupters, the parkerizing was rough as well so I smoothed it all out. I also messed with the elevator again. Put it back together and the pump still stuck, especially if I slammed the bolt back with some force.

I figured I messed up the elevator so bought another one for 30.00 just in case I pooched myself.

Then last night I noticed wear marks on the barrel from the Magpul anti rotation ring. If it was wearing on the tapered front of the barrel it must be getting jammed on the breech end since it’s bigger. Sure enough there was some wear on the insert. I took a little off it and no more stuckage.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Come today I decided to strip it down, degrease it, sand down all the interfaces with some 600 wet dry, and change the safety.

Everything went fine, except the safety internals moved on me when I was unscrewing the stock one, so had to strip it again to reinstall the safety block inside the receiver.

With everything back together man it was smooth. However now there was a double click on the trigger reset.

So I pulled the trigger group out, again, to see what was going on. Worked the group a bit, saw that the second click had something to do with the safety lever thing. Blew it out with some air, recentered a couple pins, blasted it with some CLP and it works fine. No idea what it was.

Did I mention I’m still waiting on my registration and haven’t even fired the darn thing yet haha! I must be crazy.

In the meantime lots of dry fire drills with snap caps.
image.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I had a problem with my safety inadvertently going on "Safe" during recoil initially. I changed out the safety and haven't had that problem since.

@Kentos , Looks like you changed out your safety?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Looks like the pull tab on the shot shell card might get in the way? Flipping it stock side won’t work?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had a problem with my safety inadvertently going on "Safe" during recoil initially. I changed out the safety and haven't had that problem since.

@Kentos , Looks like you changed out your safety?
Yep, an NKZ

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For someone who just got ‘their first shotgun’, you sure know your way around a shotgun? :)

It’s the curse of the tinkerer. No fear of taking things apart, with supreme optimism of getting it back together. YouTube only exacerbates the affliction lol.

Truthfully it’s a pretty simple mechanism that makes sense on how it works when you look at the thing. Frankly all the internals look like a 650.00 rifle. The Parkerizing hides a lot. At the same time it doesn’t look like having machined parts out of billet would improve anything except raise costs. People say Mossbergs aren’t smooth like an 870 but mine feels pretty good. Maybe ignorance is bliss?

It’s the curse of the tinkerer. No fear of taking things apart, with supreme optimism of getting it back together. YouTube only exacerbates the affliction lol.

Truthfully it’s a pretty simple mechanism that makes sense on how it works when you look at the thing. Frankly all the internals look like a 650.00 rifle. The Parkerizing hides a lot. At the same time it doesn’t look like having machined parts out of billet would improve anything except raise costs. People say Mossbergs aren’t smooth like an 870 but mine feels pretty good. Maybe ignorance is bliss?
Mossys can be a bit rough, but (like so many things) Remington is not at all what it used to be and at present, there is no notable difference at the same price point.

Easy fix- use a needle file, and lightly break the edges on the slide rails where they ride in the reciever cuts. This will keep you from cutting through the anodizing on the receiver for a few extra years, and significantly improves the action. A step further, use a Dremel emery wheel to polish the locking recess in your barrel extension, and use some 400-600 wet dry and polish the locking lug all over. Lightly grease all chamfered/polished areas and it will feel like a whole new gun.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mossys can be a bit rough, but (like so many things) Remington is not at all what it used to be and at present, there is no notable difference at the same price point.

Easy fix- use a needle file, and lightly break the edges on the slide rails where they ride in the reciever cuts. This will keep you from cutting through the anodizing on the receiver for a few extra years, and significantly improves the action. A step further, use a Dremel emery wheel to polish the locking recess in your barrel extension, and use some 400-600 wet dry and polish the locking lug all over. Lightly grease all chamfered/polished areas and it will feel like a whole new gun.

Ah the barrel recess! I did the bolt but never thought of the barrel.

Top Bottom