What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

1000008593.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No, Kim. It's a (CC) Closed Comb razor.

Here are my (current) top three CC razors:
1. Knockout
2. Phoenix Quantum Alpha (on a lightweight handle)
3. Lambda Athena

Here are my (current) top three SB razors:
1. Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
2. Baili BT131
3. Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25

and finally
Here are my (current) top three OC razors:
1. SS Blackland Blackbird OC
2. Gillette NEW RFB
3. Yaqi Duomo

The seller has given a guesstimated date. TMK they were produced in 1947.
I admit, I didn't even know there was a CC category..... Sorry about that.... and I was going to ask you in your thread about the production date if there was nothing on the box or the instruction papers that come with it. So just that one year: 1947. Interesting. No wonder they aren't all that easy to find.

It just made it to this side of the pond earlier today and cleared US Customs. I suspect I should see it by Saturday, perhaps.. but more likely, Monday or Tuesday. They haven't posted a delivery date yet.

• Cheers
Reactions: Cal
I beg to differ. I think they were produced over a somewhat longer, starting earlier timeframe. Knockout Razor and razor blades for a period of time came with collectable boxer cards. 50 different ones. flyweight through heavy weight, but all of them had a claim to fame, if only winning a championship. None of the fifty boxers on those cards did anything worth mentioning, boxing related, past 1938, yet in the period 1938-1948 there were two British boxers with three world championship titles. That would suggest the Knockout existed in pre-WW2 times.
Later, there also were "inspiring texts". These were excerpts from a little booklet, Brass Tacks, published 1948, written by somebody with the same name as the Knockout producer, who lived about 106km/65m away from the person who produced the Knockout. Maybe he moved, I don't know.
Anyways, blades at least produced 1939-ish through 1948, no reason so far, for me, to think the razor was produced in a shorter/other timeframe.

Never seen a branded version of these razors, only the cases were labeled as Metropolis.
Here's a branded "Metropolis".

But obviously not the same Metropolis that we're talking about above, the one with the twisted handle. This particular razor seems to be usually branded as a Benz, or C.A.V.A.

All this makes me think that perhaps Paolo Benziger, the maker of the Benz, also made this unbranded razor with the twisted handle (that we commonly refer to as the "Metropolis")?

Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, 88g, Italy 6.JPG
Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, 88g, Italy 7.JPG
Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, 88g, Italy 8.JPG
Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, 88g, Italy 9.JPG
Benz Metropolis Safety Razor, 88g, Italy 10.JPG

So what will be showing up in a couple weeks? The Knockout razor, made in Sheffield in the 1930s: NOS. I’m looking forward to trying it out.
I beg to differ. I think they were produced over a somewhat longer, starting earlier timeframe. Knockout Razor and razor blades for a period of time came with collectable boxer cards. 50 different ones. flyweight through heavy weight, but all of them had a claim to fame, if only winning a championship. None of the fifty boxers on those cards did anything worth mentioning, boxing related, past 1938, yet in the period 1938-1948 there were two British boxers with three world championship titles. That would suggest the Knockout existed in pre-WW2 times.
Later, there also were "inspiring texts". These were excerpts from a little booklet, Brass Tacks, published 1948, written by somebody with the same name as the Knockout producer, who lived about 106km/65m away from the person who produced the Knockout. Maybe he moved, I don't know.
Anyways, blades at least produced 1939-ish through 1948, no reason so far, for me, to think the razor was produced in a shorter/other timeframe.
:ouch1: I bow to your superior knowledge, Richard.

I know mine was produced in 1947 (and assumed that applied to them all). Unfortunately I didn't keep any records. I'll now send myself into the dunce corner (and slap my wrist) for ASSUMING. :blushing:

Thanks Richard, this is awesome knowledge right there ! Do you have pictures of these cards, or know where we could see them ? I'm preparing an article on shaving and sports, and this would be perfect to talk about !

Top Bottom