What's new

The Next Brush

My current brush is a Vulfix 2234 (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422187.htm#image_1)

It is not a bad brush at all, but....

My thoughts as follows: The handle is a decent shape but nothing special - plain jane ivory. I like the flair at the end for "flicking" the brush dry at the end of the shave and not accidently flinging it into the sink with wet hands. I don't know the knot size, but it may well be 22mm as they state. The bloom is nice but not very full, and the hair is a bit raggedy-looking. It holds a so-so amound of water and when wet, the hairs are quite floppy. The brush is very soft on the face and provides probably less than medium scrubbing or feel to it.

So, I am now thinking about the next brush to replace/co-exist with my current. I am thinking along the lines of a somewhat bigger knot size, a fuller head with nice shape, slightly stiffer bristles but not too stiff. Anyone have the 2234 and multiple other brushes that might be able to comment? The budget is the best brush for the value... :biggrin: Gracias gentlemen.

I have the 2233, which also has a 22mm knot, and my next brush after that was the Shavemac 230, with a 28mm knot.

Had I known then what I know now, my second brush would have been the Simpsons Chubby 2 super- somewhat larger, not SO much larger- bristle tips as soft as you'd want, with firm shafts to properly apply any cream.

It's just so freakin' expensive!!!

On a budget I'd look into the Saville Rows that everyone here raves about- I hear they're great. Whatever you do, if you want something with 'slightly stiffer bristles' (your words) don't get a comparable size Kent... Kent makes an extremely luxurious brush, but if you're looking for something considerably different from your Vulfix, stay away from Kent.

The Vulfixes are very soft and flexible. If you want something a bit stiffer (or at least the perception thereof), you can go to a Shavemac or Savile Row silvertip. This is going to cost you more than $100, though. I am sure the Simpson-sycophants will come out of the woodwork (oops, they already did :rolleyes: ) and give you their impressions as well.

What is your budget?

Scotto said:
The Vulfixes are very soft and flexible. If you want something a bit stiffer (or at least the perception thereof), you can go to a Shavemac or Savile Row silvertip. This is going to cost you more than $100, though. I am sure the Simpson-sycophants will come out of the woodwork (oops, they already did :rolleyes: ) and give you their impressions as well.

What is your budget?

Dang, I must be on the same vibe as NYLaw as I was looking at the Shavemac 230 with horn handle... I could see that price - $140 but that is probably the pretty much top end. No $200 dollar brushes for me, thanks.

Dennis,

If you want the best value for price brush than Savile Row or Shavemac is number 1 imo; there are a number of SR brushes with a knot bigger than 22 mm; the range goes up with 2 mm, so there are 24,26,28,30 and 32 mm knot brushes in the SR series. Then you have a choice between four different handle shapes.

Because of the lightbulb construction of the SR/Shavemacs the loft is relatively resilient although the bristles are nearly as soft and flexible as those from Vulfix or Kent; this is a perfect combination i think: enough resiliency to get a scrubbing action of the loft, and meanwhile keeping the loft in good shape i.e. a lesser "mopping" effect.

However, if you don't look at the price, then a Simpsons in best is the brush to go for: a vast, firm loft, yet soft bristletips; Chubby #2 or #3 in best are good choices, as well as the Polo#10. Simpsons super are also perfect, f.i. Chubby #2 or #3.

But i would recommend a SR or a Shavemac in the first place.

Peter

Note: an even better match to your requirements would be the "older" Shavemacs, with the badger until the summer of 2005: these Shavemacs had VERY firm, VERY densely packed, stiff, thick bristles, most of the time barbed, however not allways (as f.i. my #220, this brush combines ALL the properties in a shaving brush that i could dream of: densely packed loft, stiff bristleshafts, yet very soft bristletips, beautiful lightbulb shape, and keeping this shape extremely well, and a fantastic scrubbing action on your whiskers; the lower half of the bristle shafts is dark, whereas the upper half is snowy white; this brush is still available at Shavemac, but not with the typical badger wich Bern Blos got delivered until juli 2005....)

Dennis,
One thing is for sure. If you're looking for a different color handle than the "plain jane ivory", Simpsons is not for you. For me personally, handle color/type was less important than brush feel. We all have different priorities, though.

Let me ask you this:
What were your thoughts on the Vulfix? Did you like the softness of the bristles? The Shavemac's bristles are, in my opinion, just a little stiffer than those of the Vulfix. With a Shavemac, the bristles are still going to splay out across your face easily. If you like the Vulfix feel, great! Get the Shavemac! You'll love it. If you are looking to try something different, you may want to give a Simpsons or Rooney a try(Don't own a Plisson so I can't comment on them.). The Simpsons Chubby 1 in best is somewhere in the area of $120, and the CH2 best around $170.

If you *really* want something different than what you have, look at a Simpsons PJ2 or PJ3.

I started with a SR101, and loved it--its still my main travel brush and works just great (I actually look forward to trips so I can use the 101--its a little like having an illicit tryst on the road :redface: ).

But if you want a firmly packed bristle, huge exploding gobs of meringue lather, a sensuous feel on your face, and a super, ultra luxurious experience from soak to rinse, get a Simpsons and enter the sycophant lifestyle (that one was for you, Scotto!).

OK - these have been some fantastic replies so far - thank you all.

Only Shavemac carries Shavemac (well, that may or may not be the case... :tongue_sm). It seems they jump from the 23 mm knot to the 28 mm knot looking at the horn handle which is the one that caught my eye. Still undecided on this one.

Several online purveyors carry Simpsons - Lees, Ems Place, QED. The Chubby #1 or #2 looks like a very good compromise - not too tall, very full, good shape with a very full price tag too. I have no affinity to any particular online seller. Did I read that Lees Razors offers a B&B discount and won't be undersold?

Khari - you are correct that the handle is not really the selling point, I was just pointing out that there is nothing special about the Vulfix. I like Peter's description of the head type and it sounds like the pre 2005 brush would have been perfect. I am not adverse to having another fauz ivory (ala Simpson) brush in the cabinet. I will take a further look at the Simpsons which I haven't really shopped or compared before.

S

Sam

Peter: How does the pre-change Shavemac bristle feel compared to the current Plisson and the CHubby in best and/or Super? I also think that the description you give of the hair before the change is what I would want, which is the Shavemac bristle but something a little stouter and scrubbier (sic) but without losing the softness

Sam

Keep in mind the Shavemac "finest" bristles are similar to the old Shavemac style. Firmer than the silvertip, barbed, and still soft. Also cheaper.... I have one and love it.

S

Sam

Dennis: Bernd does make a 25mm brush, and it may be under the make-it-yourself configuration or something like that. I had seen it when I ordered a 23mm head. Also, Bernd does do some customization. One guy paid extra to get an extra dense knot, which in a smaller brush might make sense (he got 22mm). I do not see why Bernd could not give a bigger brush knot for you

Sam

Simpson Sycophants? Why the name calling? (Just kidding, I know it's all in good fun!)

My Chubby2 is one of six brushes that I have that seem to fit the description that Dennis is looking for... My shavemac is a great brush with somewhat firm bristles, but there's no question that the tips of my Simpson are softer than the tips of the Shavemac... Which is NOT to say that the Shavemac tips aren't soft- they are soft. They just don't strike me as being as soft in contrast to the firmness of the bristles.

I don't think I've gushed too much over any one particular brush. I've tried to detail the trouble that I've had with the Simpson.

A wise man once posted about Simpson Brushes:

"...It strongly depends on what you like. The Savile Rows are softer and more luxurious. Simpsons are less flexible and have more of a scrubbing sensation, while still having soft tips..." -Scotto, 05-16-2006, 11:07 AM

My sentiments exactly.

S

Sam

NYLaw said:
I don't think I've gushed too much over any one particular brush. I've tried to detail the trouble that I've had with the Simpson.

I do not recall that detailing. Please elaborate

Sam

NYLaw said:
Simpson Sycophants? Why the name calling? (Just kidding, I know it's all in good fun!)

My Chubby2 is one of six brushes that I have that seem to fit the description that Dennis is looking for... My shavemac is a great brush with somewhat firm bristles, but there's no question that the tips of my Simpson are softer than the tips of the Shavemac... Which is NOT to say that the Shavemac tips aren't soft- they are soft. They just don't strike me as being as soft in contrast to the firmness of the bristles.

A wise man once posted about Simpson Brushes:

"...It strongly depends on what you like. The Savile Rows are softer and more luxurious. Simpsons are less flexible and have more of a scrubbing sensation, while still having soft tips..." -Scotto, 05-16-2006, 11:07 AM

My sentiments exactly.

My, my. Such defensiveness from a fellow New Yawker. Tell ya what- my SR versus your Simpsons, in the empty lot behind the high school, midnight.

-The badger bada$$

Dennis,
If there is a specific bristle knot size that you don't see paired with the handle you want, email Bernd and ask if he can build it for you. That is what I did to get this brush and have been very pleased with it. Even custom made, my brush arrived 4 days after I ordered it (pretty impressive for custom made and overseas shipping).

Mike02 said:
My current brush is a Vulfix 2234 (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422187.htm#image_1)

It is not a bad brush at all, but....

My thoughts as follows: The handle is a decent shape but nothing special - plain jane ivory. I like the flair at the end for "flicking" the brush dry at the end of the shave and not accidently flinging it into the sink with wet hands. I don't know the knot size, but it may well be 22mm as they state. The bloom is nice but not very full, and the hair is a bit raggedy-looking. It holds a so-so amound of water and when wet, the hairs are quite floppy. The brush is very soft on the face and provides probably less than medium scrubbing or feel to it.

So, I am now thinking about the next brush to replace/co-exist with my current. I am thinking along the lines of a somewhat bigger knot size, a fuller head with nice shape, slightly stiffer bristles but not too stiff. Anyone have the 2234 and multiple other brushes that might be able to comment? The budget is the best brush for the value... :biggrin: Gracias gentlemen.

Dennis,

I started out last year with a Vulfix 2235, which is the 24mm version of the same brush. I liked the brush but it seemed it was "splaying out" a bit too much on my face and was also a bit "floppier" than I really cared for...and in addition these were ideal excuses to justify a new brush purchase. I really liked all the positive comments I was reading about the ShaveMac brushes so I ordered the 22579, which is a 23mm Silvertip with a faux horn handle. After using it for about a month or so, I just can't force myself to pick up my Vulfix 2235 any more! The ShaveMac is soooooo luxurious compared to the Vulfix. Somewhat stiffer bristles but oh so soft on the tips, at least in comparison to the Vulfix.

The only problem is, now I want to order more ShaveMac brushes...or perhaps a Savile Row since everyone raves about how they are so very close to ShaveMac quality. The ShaveMac experience has really started a case of SBAD...all I lack now is the funds for said disorder. I cannot imagine anyone switching from a Vulfix to a ShaveMac [Silvertip] and not being totally satisfied! My 2cents.

Scotto- You got a tremendous laugh outta me this morning, so thank you! :biggrin:
("Empty lot behind the High School..." Remember that movie "Three O'Clock High"?)
:a9: :a29:

Sam- Problems with Simpson:
1. My troubles were mostly in the beginning with the brush, when I was having a problem with building a good lather... It took a while to grok the exact water/cream ratio to build a great lather. (Now that I know it, I have a fairly consistently easy time with it, though.) This is not a very big deal, but when you start with a Kent or a Vulfix, my experience has been that they're both very easy to "get." Neither have a very steep learning curve, and both are beginner-friendly.

2. As someone above mentioned, the handle is kinda annoying. I know Simpsons makes other handles that I'd be interested in (PJ3 or Emperor), but then the don't have the same draw as the bristle-packing of the Chubbies. The Chubby handles, for those that haven't seen or held it, are exactly that: chubby. They're short, thick, and don't narrow or bulk-out at any point like the coke-bottle figures on some of the other... Again, this is ALL just a matter of personal preference.

Alrighty - I am going to mull over the replies and do some virtual shopping. Going into last night, it was down to a Simpson Chubby #2 but needing a call to Lee to find out the price for sure, and the other was sending Bernd at Shavemac a note on what I was looking for and seeing what he said. I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the advice -

Top Bottom