What's new

The New Blackland Sabre GEM!

Lastly, the Osprey.. I've been so tied up with the Sabre and the Vector, I've not even had a chance to open up the box and try it yet. šŸ¤­ But if it turns out to be even half as good as the others in the Blackland stable (or should I say hangar šŸ˜).. well, I will be absolutely delighted with it also. From watching the videos it looks like another superb design.

I'm really glad I finally decided to try Blackland's offerings. It has been 100% worth it. I'm sure others can relate, after collecting many razors from other companies, I was wondering if Blackland razors would have anything extra on all the other razors I own. I can say now, I feel they certainly do. I'm a big fan. Extremely pleased with my Blacklands. I will definitely be buying more of their great razors. My only regret is that I hadn't tried Blackland razors sooner. šŸ™‚
It is that good. Just remember, it is possible to hold 4 razors in each hand, it's the angles that make it challenging. I mean really, why wait 4-8 days before cycling through your favorites...? :c1:
Ā 

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
@Blackland Razors ā€¦ so many things to comment onā€¦.

First, the Sabre is far from boring. It is an amazing razor, certainly one of my favorites in any format.

Second, ā€œthree piece (kind of)ā€ ā€¦ youā€™re making me a little crazy with anticipation over hereā€¦.

Third, with the quality of edge and life the Personna PTFE offers, thereā€™s no real need for any other blade. I think, in the case of Gem format, the razor makes the blade, not the other way around. They donā€™t bend or flex, so, how well they work is entirely up to the designers of the razors, with some impact from how the user holds it.

Fourth, do you think it will EVER be available in titanium? I donā€™t want to buy the SS then have Ti come out in six months, given that I already have the current version in stainless. If it will be many, many months before Ti happens, Iā€™ll buy the stainless version as soon as the preorder opens.

Fifth, I would like to officially register as a tester šŸ¤£. Where should I send my CV?
Ā 
Third, with the quality of edge and life the Personna PTFE offers, thereā€™s no real need for any other blade. I think, in the case of Gem format, the razor makes the blade, not the other way around. They donā€™t bend or flex, so, how well they work is entirely up to the designers of the razors, with some impact from how the user holds it.

Fourth, do you think it will EVER be available in titanium? I donā€™t want to buy the SS then have Ti come out in six months, given that I already have the current version in stainless. If it will be many, many months before Ti happens, Iā€™ll buy the stainless version as soon as the preorder opens.

I mostly agree with you on the blades. I also think the coated Personnas are great. But maybe it's possible for there to be a far better blade. Maybe we'd scoff at the Personnas if we got ahold of the new, better blade.

The titanium question is always tough. It's on our minds, but we can't reasonably commit unless we know that the product is liked and sells well. Stainless is a good, lower-cost testing grounds. If it goes great then titanium makes sense. But titanium doesn't do us much good if we're only going to sell like 50 or 100 of them.
Ā 
I mostly agree with you on the blades. I also think the coated Personnas are great. But maybe it's possible for there to be a far better blade. Maybe we'd scoff at the Personnas if we got ahold of the new, better blade.
How'bout a certain well known razor manufacturer getting into blade manufacturing? wink wink!!;)
Vertical integration!!
Ā 

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto

The titanium question is always tough. It's on our minds, but we can't reasonably commit unless we know that the product is liked and sells well. Stainless is a good, lower-cost testing grounds. If it goes great then titanium makes sense. But titanium doesn't do us much good if we're only going to sell like 50 or 100 of them.
Makes sense, if you think about it. I am purely speculating, but, it stands to reason that Gem blades make up a VERY small percentage of blades sold (at least for shaving). Maybe thereā€™s no real incentive for product development.

Still, Personna (and now AccuTec) are, in my opinion, the best blade makers. Hard to imagine anyone doing it better, unless they come out with a Gem razor (Feather, maybe).
Ā 
I had tonight's shave with my machined Sabre L2!
I hadn't used it in a couple of weeks and realized (again) what a perfect razor it is.
This is the problem when you have too many razors! Not a good thing but I've got
so many good ones now that it's hard getting rid of any.
The weight, balance, feel and quality of the shave make the Sabre one of the best.
It also got me thinking about the new one and how they would actually innovate something that
beats the old one. Really looking at it, the new one will have to be something phenomenal in order
to get me away from this one. I can only hope!
I guess another razor added can't hurt! šŸ˜‚
Ā 
You
To me the Timeless .68 is probably the hands down best OC. And lots of people here agree!
The rounded teeth are incredibly smooth where it feels like an SB razor.
It's as good as it gets for a daily razor!
Smooth as can be and efficient enough for everyday use. Absolutely no aggressiveness! Love it!
I've yet to try and buy the .95 baseplates but will at some point.
You havenā€™t tried the Ares yetā€¦.blows the Timeless out of the water for smooth and close shave. Shaves like a SB.
Ā 
4 plate levels (2 reversible safety bars) with each Sabre

sabre-2024.png
Ā 
Last edited:
@Blackland Razors
Shane, Thanks for sharing the video. I have been looking forward to the updated design of the Sabre. I like where you are taking the design lines of the head and very interested to see how the handle comes out. The GEM format has surprisingly taken over as my preferred single edge format.

Are you able to say if the Level 1 and 2 of the new Sabre design will be the same or similar to the original, in terms of efficiency and overall "feel"? I suspect my preference will be for level 3 and 4, but just trying to extrapolate from the original. Barring something unexpected, I plan to be on the pre order list for the new Sabre.
Ā 
@Blackland Razors
Shane, Thanks for sharing the video. I have been looking forward to the updated design of the Sabre. I like where you are taking the design lines of the head and very interested to see how the handle comes out. The GEM format has surprisingly taken over as my preferred single edge format.

Are you able to say if the Level 1 and 2 of the new Sabre design will be the same or similar to the original, in terms of efficiency and overall "feel"? I suspect my preference will be for level 3 and 4, but just trying to extrapolate from the original. Barring something unexpected, I plan to be on the pre order list for the new Sabre.

The new Levels 1 and 2 are quite similar, but not technically identical to the original. Generally though I think you can extrapolate reasonably well from the original. If you found L2 mild originally, you'll probably also find the new L2 to be mild.
Ā 
Top Bottom