What's new

The Namiki-Pilot MR series

At the Fountain Pen Hospital in Manhattan today, I noticed these pens at the $30 price point.
Any owners here care to share an opinion?

Here's info on the MR series.

You're right, it looks to be the Metropolitan.
I guess some vendors (like Goulet) just have better prices.
That is the difference between MSRP and what retailers are willing to drop the price to, I would guess. The Pilot owned website store is going to list them at full MSRP.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... if you like metal barrels, snap caps, and a step in the section -- all deal breakers for me

The old Pilot 78g had a plastic barrel, screw-on cap, and no step in the section. They used to sell for about $10 from reputable Hong Kong e-bay vendors, including worldwide shipping. That was a fantastic deal.

IIRC, the 78g was discontinued a while back (not entirely sure when ... but after I was done my pen buying). More recently, a "new 78g" line was launched ... looks pretty similar, still made in Japan ... and not too much more than it used to be.

Now, a sub-$20 pen is not going to have a great nib. It's going to be a compromise in one form or another. The old 78g nib ... and presumably the Metro nib by extension ... had been described as a "nail". Okay, it's not a Sailor 1911, but it's not $300. So, I can live with it.

Quick e-bay search finds this:
I have not ordered from this vendor, so am just reporting what I found, not saying anything good or bad about this particular vendor.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
As I recall, the “MR” is the version of the Metro that Pilot sells in the European market. The main difference is that it takes an international cartridge or converter instead of the Pilot proprietary cartridges and converters. That might explain why FPH is selling them for more $ than the Metro usually sells for. It’d be worth asking about anyway.

I have one and it’s a fine pen for the $10 I paid, but I think there are better options for $30.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Now, a sub-$20 pen is not going to have a great nib. It's going to be a compromise in one form or another. The old 78g nib ... and presumably the Metro nib by extension ... had been described as a "nail". Okay, it's not a Sailor 1911, but it's not $300. So, I can live with it.
Actually, I find the F nib on my Metro quite springy and nice; it’s the best part of the pen. It’s certainly less nail-like than the Jowo and Bock steel nibs I’ve used. Plus, it’s the same nib that Pilot puts on much more expensive pens like the Prera.

Top Bottom