What's new

The lowly Canadian Tech

I got one in a lot of 3 razors I bought a while ago. Having been preferring aggressive/efficient razors for a good while now, I was reluctant to try it but had to give it a go eventually. I've shaved 3 times with it so far (not consecutively though) and, while it is mild, I really appreciate it. It is a very smooth shaver, effective while mild. It has become my "go-to" razor when I have a few bumps left from ingrowns that take longer to heal. I know I'll get a close shave while avoiding making the situation worse.

It's cheap, common but a really really good razor IMHO. Just thought I'd share.

Triangle slot or oblong slot?

I've been using the Canadian postwar oblong slot Tech for my head shaves. It seems like it might be a tad milder than the US version. Hardly noticeable, not enough to matter... Great BBS shaves from it daily. The postwar Tech is one of my top two razors.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like Canadian Techs, too, both styles. Here's one I've had in my rotation lately.

I got one in a lot of 3 razors I bought a while ago. Having been preferring aggressive/efficient razors for a good while now, I was reluctant to try it but had to give it a go eventually. I've shaved 3 times with it so far (not consecutively though) and, while it is mild, I really appreciate it. It is a very smooth shaver, effective while mild. It has become my "go-to" razor when I have a few bumps left from ingrowns that take longer to heal. I know I'll get a close shave while avoiding making the situation worse.

It's cheap, common but a really really good razor IMHO. Just thought I'd share.
Congrats, but you know we need photos!

Here's mine:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was lucky enough to find this in virtually NOS condition. IMHO, Gillette got this one right: despite its simplicity and huge production (or maybe because of this), the common fat handle Tech is one of the great DEs of all time.

The "lowly" was just based on the price availability compared to other more sought after razors. It sure is a good razor. I'll have to post a pic indeed.

Oh, it's got triangulat slots.

Here's mine:

attachment.php

I was lucky enough to find this in virtually NOS condition. IMHO, Gillette got this one right: despite its simplicity and huge production (or maybe because of this), the common fat handle Tech is one of the great DEs of all time.

Would you mine posting a picture of the top of the box, the razor is blocking 2 of the 4 ways a Tech is better, can't read it all. Thanks

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Very nice! The Canadian Tech's are known to be rather more aggressive than American ones. Must be all the thick lumberjack beards up north.

Very nice! The Canadian Tech's are known to be rather more aggressive than American ones. Must be all the thick lumberjack beards up north.
I've been using the Canadian postwar Tech for my head shaves, it's smooth and efficient. The blade started to struggle after 11 head shaves. Switched to the US postwar and it not struggling, on shave 14 now. I got 18 head shaves out of an Astra SP, but the Canadian postwar Tech wasn't going to make it that far. That let's me know that the US postwar Tech has slightly more blade exposure than the Canadian. The Canadian feels slightly smoother than the US, but that's not saying much, but the blade doesn't perform as long.

I have a Canadian and US prewar triangle slot Tech, but haven't compared them. The Canadian prewar has a blade gap of .023", I have a US version with the same blade gap, my guess is that they would be the same. I have other US prewar Techs with a blade gap of .020", My guess would be that those are milder than the Canadian prewar Tech. The caps measure the same.

Tech razors are the only one's I keep multiples of. I have them in varying handles including a service set, Fat and rare 2 piece handle aka 4 piece Tech. Brilliant in their simplicity and execution of their task. My fav being the pre-war triangular base plate which came with a thicker head for added aggression vs it's post war oblong cousin.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-triangular-base-plate?highlight=4+piece+Tech

Attachments

• $Tech-4b.jpg
    $Tech-4b.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 58
I have a Canadian and US prewar triangle slot Tech, but haven't compared them. The Canadian prewar has a blade gap of .023", I have a US version with the same blade gap, my guess is that they would be the same. I have other US prewar Techs with a blade gap of .020", My guess would be that those are milder than the Canadian prewar Tech. The caps measure the same.
I did do a Canadian vs US pre-War Tech side-by-side shave a few years ago and found the Canadian one was smoother and had less blade feel. Strangely. the Canadian side also had less stubble after 4 hours, indicating it was more efficient as well. The fact that I'm right handed and the Canadian razor shaved the right side of my face may have had more to do with the difference than the actual razor.

Top Bottom