What's new

The local coffee shop

Just bought a new place to live, and there is a small independent coffee shop at the end of the block—just a very short walk away. This is a new experience for me, and I’ve been several times. The coffee is good, they have great food (including beautiful pastries made on-site), and they know me by name now.

Always been a coffee-at-home person, but this is going to be a regular part of my week now too.

Do you have a great coffee shop nearby?

Last edited:
Ran out of coffee I brought With me today so went to a close by local roaster/coffee shop.

Reinforced the reason I roast my own coffee.

Wife wanted to take it back tomorrow. Not sure if she will as we are leaving in 2 days.

I told her I Can blend it with something I roast to get rid of it.

Given your location, you may have heard of the Barefoot/Chromatic split, or not. It was some years ago now, but the single Barefoot location on Stevens Creek Blvd in Santa Clara, which is now branded as Chromatic, was my hang out for years! I had a couple other places, but that was my favourite. I still buy beans from Barefoot occasionally even though I roast at home. I also visit Chromatic if I am in town. I suppose Philz is the place that I visit the most when I am in the area.

I’ve driven by Chromatic a couple of times—it’s pretty close to my new place. I will definitely check it out.

I don’t know any of the history. Is it an interesting story?

I’ve driven by Chromatic a couple of times—it’s pretty close to my new place. I will definitely check it out.

I don’t know any of the history. Is it an interesting story?
Basically the two owners had a disagreement on the direction of the company. One got the building, the other got the more valuable Barefoot name. Barefoot still roasts the same style as they always have and their beans are used in local restaurants. They have a few stores of their own now. Chromatic is the edgy, young, experimental place now. Barefoot is safe in comparison, but it's still fun occasionally and I think they still have top notch pastries. I need to get back there and see which of my coffee places are still alive after the last couple years!

I suppose Philz is the place that I visit the most when I am in the area.
Saaaaame! It's part of the Santa Clara routine when I'm up there!

I have bought a couple of bags of Philz beans over the years. I have never been happy with those purchases. I do enjoy it when they brew it for me. Silken Splendor is my go-to.

I have disliked my local coffee shops since I stopped drinking sugary dessert "coffee" in maybe 2009. I went back to one recently, and it was surprisingly acceptable! I later drive by and realized it's a new shop in the same spot. I hope they stay!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Great topic... wracking my brain and I can't think of a place like that for me around me. A least not close/walking. There are a lot of bakeries that serve coffee?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm currently on a Viking Cruise and enjoying some great local coffee - Pisa today. The only trouble is every day is a new city, so I have to hope I keep getting lucky (or all the espresso in this part of the world is just great).

I have a local coffee shop about a 10 minute walk from my house. I'd say it's decent to good but I've been to far better coffee shops. But with that being said I'm glad they're there. I was in numerous cities in Poland, as well as Denver, and New Orleans in the past month and I visited some exceptional cafes in all of those places.

In Scotland where I live, local coffee shops usually aren't that great. They make watered-down cappuccino in a huge mug. They also always put some chocolate on top, so you must remember to forbid them in advance to put sugary stuff on top. Yes, there are some great coffee places here as well, of course. But it is not Italy. I was born in the Mediterranean and going to a coffee place was not an "artisinal" experience or whatever. Wherever you went in Italy, the coffee was always great, so you went wherever you enjoyed the atmosphere and people. In the UK, you have to google reviews and travel somewhere to get a decent cuppa. So I still prefer homemade cup. However, if you are ever in Aberdeen, don't miss McBeans roasters and if you are on Orkney go for SunBean Coffee House. Both sell great coffee.

Just bought a new place to live, and there is a small independent coffee shop at the end of the block—just a very short walk away. This is a new experience for me, and I’ve been several times. The coffee is good, they have great food (including beautiful pastries made on-site), and they know me by name now.

Always been a coffee-at-home person, but this is going to be a regular part of my week now too.

Like you, I am usually an at-home coffee drinker. There are a couple of coffee shops nearby that i go to once in a while. They make good coffee and baked goods. And most importantly the ambience is great. Problem is there are too many uni students who buy one coffee and sit all day on their laptops.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My close local places are two Starbucks with stale, over-roasted coffee and an Uncommon Grounds with better coffee. But a 15 minute drive gets me to a small shop with great espresso. I also live 15 minutes from a fine roaster with fresh beans available weekly. I usually make mine at home in the Moccamaster.

Like you, I am usually an at-home coffee drinker. There are a couple of coffee shops nearby that i go to once in a while. They make good coffee and baked goods. And most importantly the ambience is great. Problem is there are too many uni students who buy one coffee and sit all day on their laptops.
Yeah, there's a place like that near me too. Free wi-fi. So they monopolize the place with no regard for anyone else coming in needing a seat to enjoy their coffee &. Self centered and definitely aggravating.

I’m posting this morning from the local coffee shop I mentioned when I started this thread. I usually take-out coffee and some food to take back to my place, but today I decided to stay and enjoy my breakfast here in the shop while I read the news and so on.

Been lingering for about an hour, got another coffee. Have enjoyed seeing the people come and go—some in a hurry to get to work, a dad with his gentle young child who hoped there would be capers on her bagel with lox, and other people who are clearly regulars. They have nice music on (and not too loud). This is a really nice way to start the day.

Have a good one, forum friends!

Edited to add: Oh! And one of the employees just brought me a tiny cupcake as a gift. Red velvet. I love this place!

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Top Bottom