What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Watched Matilda with the family a couple of nights ago. The girls had just finished reading the book with their Mom. Pretty cute movie. I believe Dahl had some really deep opinions on how families can fail kids.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. My father and I met John Huston at Disneyland back in the early '80s. He shook my little hand. I remember he was in a wheelchair. I was just a kid but my father was really excited to meet him. :001_smile

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I rewatched a brilliant Australian thriller from 1976 called End Play involving two brothers, one of whom is in a wheelchair, and the murder of a hitch hiker. A really gripping film with some great period fashions and styles.

106405-end-play-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

Never watched it, hate Jane Fonda. I was a kid when it came out but Jane Fonda was a no go in my house, Dad would get livid if her name came up.
I'm not a fan of Jane Fonda, but I consider her a good actress, and her being in something wouldn't stop me from seeing it. That said, I do understand the animosity towards her. I have no problems with anti-war protests, but her antics were just ridiculous and, in my opinion, self-aggrandizing and reckless, and did a lot of harm, not so much to the 'war effort' but the basic people in the war, many who had not choice about being there. However, I do file it stupid/misguided idealism in a way that I don't think she should be tarnished for the rest of her life. It also wasn't a photo op or planned sit down. She has, on countless occassions, apologized, and made it clear that her issues were with the US Government, and not the common soldier. It doesn't excuse what she did, and I do understand that in that time and place, it would be something where no apology would excuse it.

You wouldn't probably wouldn't enjoy it with her being one of the two main leads, but I think it did handle some of the issues of injured veterans, and the attitude of many Americans that wanted to ignore them.

I knew going in it was pretty much pegged as mediocre, which it was, but still glad I watched. "Prometheus". Loved the sets, great actors, horrible plot tropes/contrivances, mediocre dialogue most of the time. The sad thing is, a number of things would have been so easy to fix. The funny thing was, I had totally forgot that it was an Alien prequel, which made the ending fun. It would have been interesting to see if it had been plotted out better, with more decent dialogue. Still, very beautiful sets.

The Harvey Girls with Judy Garland. I hadn't seen this is 50 years but was prompted because of Murder She Wrote. I was reading Angela Lansbury's bio and it mentioned that even though she was a great singer, Lansbury's singing voice was dubbed in this.

Also watched Hustle with Adam Sandler. Kind of Jerry Maguire meets Rocky. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
Top Bottom