What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I finally got around to seeing Suspicion for the first time. I'm a big Hitchcock fan and I've even seen a lot of the more obscure ones, but this baby has gone unseen until today.

Started a free HULU subscription this weekend and watched The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot .
It sounds like a campy b-movie but it was IMO the best movie I have watched in a while, Sam Elliott was excellent.

I tried. I really did. But Bette Davis's first movie, The Bad Sister from 1931, was just too slow for me. Oddly enough, Bette plays the "good sister" in the Midwestern family; a dark-haired lovely named Sidney Fox was the bad sister. From the half hour of the hour-long film that I watched, she was a shameless flirt and a bit of a narcissist (she has pics of herself on her bedroom walls), not the sociopath or other dramatically dangerous character I hoped for. It might have been more effective if Bette and Sidney had swapped roles. Also fun: the young (age 31) Humphrey Bogart, playing a smooth-talking con man.

Odd that this was a Universal film (from the same year as Dracula and Frankenstein), and that Universal let both future superstars go, to be snapped up by Warner Brothers. Good for us: Warner's knew how to showcase them.

loved it, the romance was charming, although I felt a little sold out by the happy ending. I think it would have been better had he actually killed her. One of Grant's most nuanced performances.
I agree it's beautifully done until the sappy ending. The story is that the studio insisted on changing the ending because, they said, "No one will believe Cary Grant as a murderer." Possibly . . . but then the TV-movie remake in the late '80s with Jane Curtin as Lina used the same ending!

The source novel, if you want to find it, is Before the Fact by one Francis Iles (aka Anthony Berkeley, or Anthony Berkeley Cox). I read it when I was 14 and it blew me away. It is still one of the best jobs of characterization, and portraits of the sociopath, ever done. It was published in 1932, and chronicles about 10 years in Lina and Johnnie's marriage. That means the setting is contemporary with the 1920s setting of Downton Abbey, not the late 1930s.

Last edited:
How was that? I've been meaning to watch it, but my wife isn't interested so finding time becomes difficult.

Chadwick Boseman is very convincing as James Brown and the film's structured in an interesting way. Well worth watching and finding the time for. I never used to be a fan of biopics and wouldn't even bother if I didn't like the subject but now I'll give most a go. I'd have missed some very good films otherwise, Behind the Candelabra being a prime example. I'm not a fan of Liberace (who is?) but a fantastic movie, maybe Michael Douglas' finest performance on film.

Enola Holmes on Netflix with my kids.

Very cute and entertaining movie about Sherlock Holmes‘ (Superman’s Henry Cavill) 16 year old sister (Stranger Things’ Millie Bobbie Brown).

I surprisingly enjoyed it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s not gonna win academy awards but it is very well done and nicely filmed. 👍👍

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Enola Holmes on Netflix with my kids.

Very cute and entertaining movie about Sherlock Holmes‘ (Superman’s Henry Cavill) 16 year old sister (Stranger Things’ Millie Bobbie Brown).

I surprisingly enjoyed it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone. It’s not gonna win academy awards but it is very well done and nicely filmed. 👍👍

I added this to my watchlist last night, for when the wife returns from Ireland next week. Looks fun, and I look forward to seeing Millie Bobbie Brown in something other than Stranger Things. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hour of the Gun. Late 60's movie about Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday and the gunfight at the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ, and the following hunt for each and every member of the Clanton gang which killed Earps' brothers. James Garner as Earp and Jason Robards as Holliday.

Finished Enola Holmes. Very enjoyable little movie, a bit heavily influenced by Wes Anderson, but charming nonetheless. I do get tired of people messing with the Canon, though, when they alter Sherlock & Mycroft. Sherlock is routinely played by men far too good looking to be Sherlock. And Mycroft is routinely written as someone who is not superior to Sherlock in acuity and often portrayed by slim actors. To me, the actor born to play Mycroft is Robert Morely (he did in fact play Mycroft in the excellent A Study in Terror).

Ended up watching a few films over the last week while on holiday (we have a 14 month old, so once she went down we were pretty much confined to the room).

- The Breakfast Club (classic that my wife had somehow never seen)
- Night School (Kevin Hart film, easy watch but fairly predictable and cliched)
- The Babysitter (Comedy Horror that I quite enjoyed, already have the sequel on my Netflix list)
- St Vincent (Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy and Naomi Watts. Really enjoyed this one, comedy but quite serious roles for Murray and McCarthy (serious for them at least))
- The Lady Vanishes (the original Hitchcock version. A classic and Charters and Caldicott remind me of my friends and I, no matter what is going on we need to know what's happening in the cricket!)

Brassed Off. A movie about the destruction of a community by an uncaring government. Pete Postlethwaite, Ewan McGregor and many well known faces from British Television. Just beautiful film making.

I don't know how I do it. Another terrible film IMHO......terminator salvation. None of the characters seemed to notice the leading mans wife was pregnant or at least post pregnant?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
'Behind Enemy Lines'. Owen Wilson & Gene Hackman. It's almost like a remake of Hackman's 'Bat 21' only set in the Balkans.

Top Bottom