What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I was thinking about this a day or two ago. Actually, I was trying to remember Josh Brolin's name, lol. I have it on DVD and watched it once, several years ago and was a little unimpressed. I'll give it another go tonight.

I had the same thing with L.A. Confidential. I've never gotten on with it but I love Kevin Spacey. I tried it last week. I still don't like it, haha. It's a fine film but this happens sometimes. I've never really liked The Godfather 1, 2 or 3.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've never really liked The Godfather 1, 2 or 3.

There is only one Godfather movie to watch: The Godfather: A Novel For Television. Notice the runtime of 434 minutes.

As it was meant to be viewed by Francis Ford Coppola. They said it was too long and no one would sit in a theater to watch a movie for 7 1/2 hours so they cut and edited it.

Now that I have the time, I might just dust that one off myself, again. Its an epic.

There is only one Godfather movie to watch: The Godfather: A Novel For Television. Notice the runtime of 434 minutes.

As it was meant to be viewed by Francis Ford Coppola. They said it was too long and no one would sit in a theater to watch a movie for 7 1/2 hours so they cut and edited it.

Now that I have the time, I might just dust that one off myself, again. Its an epic.

Looks like the original The Sopranos.

I watched No Country for Old Men last night. The first time round I must've been not paying attention, not in the right mood or maybe I've simply changed since then. Everything from the opening scenes onwards was superb. I've not read anything by Cormac McCarthy but I have some knowledge of his style and genre. Ethan and Joel Coen clearly were paying attention.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I watched No Country for Old Men last night. The first time round I must've been not paying attention, not in the right mood or maybe I've simply changed since then. Everything from the opening scenes onwards was superb. I've not read anything by Cormac McCarthy but I have some knowledge of his style and genre. Ethan and Joel Coen clearly were paying attention.

That movie is at the highest level of the art. I find it flawless.

I read the book before I saw the movie and when I was watching the movie, especially Tommy Lee Jones, how he looked, how he moved, how he carried himself and how he talked, fit the vision the book gave me perfectly. The picked him in particular because he was born and raised there and has an innate understanding of the area and its people.

I also read The Road by McCarthy. He won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with that book. Its not an easy read because of his poetic writing style, but it is excellent. The Coen brothers did it justice too.

That movie is at the highest level of the art. I find it flawless.

I read the book before I saw the movie and when I was watching the movie, especially Tommy Lee Jones, how he looked, how he moved, how he carried himself and how he talked, fit the vision the book gave me perfectly. The picked him in particular because he was born and raised there and has an innate understanding of the area and its people.

I also read The Road by McCarthy. He won a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with that book. Its not an easy read because of his poetic writing style, but it is excellent. The Coen brothers did it justice too.

I'll get to McCarthy in time and Don DeLillo and some others. But first on my list is Philip Roth.

No actors in this movie, only the guys - Neil, Buzz, Michael.

Jaw dropping because it is not a Hollywood movie. It is the real deal.

1584586722360.png

Just got finished watching Promised Land with Matt Damon. Kind of a feel good movie in the end. I guess that kind of thing helps with everything else going on around us.

force majeuer.jpg

Intensely gripping Swedish drama. Fans of Scandi-Noir TV shows such as The Bridge would probably enjoy it. This is not crime based though, but a family psycho drama, very well acted and made, with beautiful cinematography.

I watched Play, by the same director, which was also superb. I'll be tracking down his other work.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Joker, and it is still bothering me. So many wrinkles. Is the Joker really adopted as his mother’s file notes, or is he really Bruce Wayne’s half brother? After all, Thomas Wayne is an extremely powerful and rich man who can get people locked up and false documents created. Early in the movie the movie Arthur Fleck has a delusion of being in the audience of DeNiro’s talk show. How much of the movie was a delusion? Only after his meds were cut, the whole thing?

journeyman.jpg

Compelling drama from Paddy Considine. It's a grim watch at times, so fair warning, but don't let that put you off; it really is very good. I now feel suitably prepared for Amour. Maybe.

Last three have been Netflix:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - rewatch
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005) - rewatch
Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool (2019)

Tedious, far fetched, disbelievable thriller with more holes than a tea strainer. I was bored long before I stopped watching, about half an hour from the end.

Top Bottom