What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

THE 47 RONIN - The story of the 47 ronin has been rendered on fiim dozens of times - including a fascinating 49-episode TV version, "Genroku Ryoran." The American/Japanese version has a Japanese/Chinese cast (including Keanu Reeves), lots of eye-popping CGI, a disappointing amount of elementary school Japanese culture lessons, and lots of colors and pageantry. The story itself is grounded in fact, but this film is only modestly founded on the original historical events. In other words, this is kind of a mess - a likable mess. ** of four.

JOHN WICK
Watched it yesterday, and plan on purchasing the dvd. What I liked about it was the soundtrack, cinematography, the believable action scenes. Nothing was speeded up , or appeared to be like some other films. Loved the fight scenes and the firearms handling. Thought "Perkins" was hot... too bad she is no longer a member of the Continental. What I didn't like is Keanu Reeves... well, I take that back. I mean I love pretty much every movie I've seen with him but he is just so one dimensional. From Marlon James ("I love you to death") , to special agent Johnny Utah ("Pointe Break" ) he just seems to lack any kind of emotion. Just that same deer in the head lights look.
Heard there might be a sequel , hopefully it does not revolve around John Wick but spends more time around the hotel. Maybe a prequel showing how William Defoe's character mentors John, if he did or how they ended up with the mutual respect that they had.

Kingsman: The Secret Service--Saw it with my 18 year old son. It was much better than we had hoped it would be. Easily 4 out of 5 stars.

What I didn't like is Keanu Reeves... well, I take that back. I mean I love pretty much every movie I've seen with him but he is just so one dimensional. From Marlon James ("I love you to death") , to special agent Johnny Utah ("Pointe Break" ) he just seems to lack any kind of emotion. Just that same deer in the head lights look.

Keanu does Keanu and nothing else. If you the role is Keanu-esque then he is awesome, if not... meh.

Recently I watched two movies with Liam Nesson in the lead role: Non-Stop and A Walk Among the Tombstones.
Both are great!:thumbup:

The Grand Budapest Hotel: I have watched almost everything that Wes Anderson has put out, most of it I found to be a hot mess, but I did actually enjoy this movie. It really was shot beautifully and overall it reminded me of a good Woody Allen film - which I am sure Wes Anderson fans wont take as a complement, but it was intended to be one

John Wick - enjoyable action movie. fight scenes are a bit different (more interesting). everything you need to know about the plot is in the trailer (keanu mad >>> keanu kill).

Predestination - a bit squirrelly as time-travel movies tend to be. bit of an odd concept but still worth a watch.

Blended - typical Sandler fare. if the girlfriend/wife likes Sandler watch it together. comparable to 50 First Dates but not as funny.

THE DROP - A few of the elements are identical to JOHN WICK, but THE DROP is less frenetic and more subtly tense. When a money drop goes south, a grungy NY bar becomes an epicenter for corruption and murder as the Super Bowl draws near. *** of four

Last edited:
Still Alice - very sad but very good
Sightseers - Uk black comedy - caravans, serial killing and knitted crotchless panties (everything a good movie should have).

The Dilemma: I added this to the queue because my wife likes low-brow comedies, but this was an absolute stinker. Vince Vaughn and Kevin James where just flat out bad, the only cast member who was remotely funny was Channing Tatum

John Wick, 9/10.
This movie was just badass. Everything about it was awesome, go watch it. I can't wait for the sequel.

Dawn of the planet of apes. 8/10
Another awesome movie, very worthy for a sequel. If you liked the "rise of the planet of the apes", you'll definitely enjoy this one.

Michael Clayton 10/10.
I have no idea how i've never watched this! or that no one has mentioned it to me, this movie had me at the edge of my seat wondering what was gonna happen next. Clooney was just brilliant in this.

Does anyone know what real life corporation they were trying to portray?

Gone Girl - I enjoyed it though some of it was a bit implausible, I'll not get twisted about it because it's a good story. I was left wanting more out of the ending.

Fury- I absolutely loved this movie. The attention to detail was fantastic, only a couple of small inaccuracies that I could pick up on.

Top Bottom