What's new

The Key

I just recently hit what I considered to be a "honing slump" for lack of a better term. Went back to basics and spent the majority of my time setting the bevel using 1000 grit wet/dry. Worked like a charm and all is right with the world again.

Bevel setting the key? Truer words have never been written.

Bevel setting the key? Truer words have never been written.

So true. I've found out (the hard way, as I usually do!) that not setting the bevel pretty much renders the rest of the stones in your progression useless. I kept banging my head against the wall wondering why my norton 4/8 wasn't doing anything...as it turns out, I was being too "easy" on the razor at the 1k level. You really can't be afraid to put some elbow grease into it...gotta whip that blade into submission!! :laugh:

Loupes and scopes can be helpful, but the best thing to do is get a razor you really don't care about and have at it with the 1k stone.

REALLY set the bevel on that sucker, since that is the KEY to getting a great edge. The best edges don't come from having the 75,000 grit stone hewn from the Japanese Alps as a finisher. It comes from making sure the bevel is set correctly in the fist place (I measure that by being able to cleanly cleave arm hair 2-3mm above skin level) coming off the bevel setting hone (for me a DMT 1200).

If you are trying to hone your Dorko, or some other precious metal, you most likely will be too horrified to spend enough time on the low grit hones, removing the proper amount of metal to set the bevel. I think this is why many folks, myself included, get some great shavers out of the $20 EBay finds (or GDs for that matter), since there is not much to be lost, you can really wail on that thing on the bevel setting hone.

Once the bevel is set, sure, it's nice to then refine it up to the point that you are using the 98,000 grit Sukihara that will make a Zen master weep and write a haiku about the shave he just had with it. But the key is the low grit hones.....

I see this dates back to the time before Seraphim lost his mojo to those devilish lapping films.... :taz:

I see this dates back to the time before Seraphim lost his mojo to those devilish lapping films.... :taz:

The first razor I ever honed was with lapping film 15 minutes after receiving it. DMT1200 is solidly in the synthetics camp, Mister!

Nice thread. My sharpest razor is one that I had to get a chip out of, and reefed on it for over twenty minutes on my 1k. Since then I've been nervous to take off too much steel on other razors, but the writing is on the wall..

Nice thread. My sharpest razor is one that I had to get a chip out of, and reefed on it for over twenty minutes on my 1k. Since then I've been nervous to take off too much steel on other razors, but the writing is on the wall..

Exactly.

If it only cuts hair on one side of the blade, which side needs more work? The side that isnt cutting?

Thanks

Thanks Doc.

Went to the DMT site to read about the Duosharp as recommended- & saw the Diasharp. Main diff seems to be: holes vs no holes, double vs single sided, and the Dia comes in more fine grits- up to 8k, but would not need lapping or soaking unlike the Norton 8k. Ive also read that the Dia isnt certified flat,

has anyone had any Diasharps that didnt hone well bc of the lack of "certified flatness"?

I have to thank Seraphim for this post. I have been trying to sharpen a couple of razors that have lost their edge. I did not sharpen these blades originally and I figured that they were shaving before so I should not need much work on the bevel. I start out with a 1k stone, but did not stay there for very long. I finished my progression and tried shaving with them and they were not good. I took them back to the finisher with no improvement. After reading this post, (or the resurrection of this post) I took one of these blades back to the 1K stone and really took a good look at it under a loupe. I kept going until even the flat that I thought I might be able to see was gone, then a little more work on the 1K. I then went through the rest of my progression and tested the edge. No surprise that this time I got a shavable edge!

Sad part is that I have sharpened enough knives and edge tools to know this, but the feeling that that very fine and delicate edge should only take a few passes on the 1k stone was overwhelming.

Thanks for bringing this topic to light!

I have to thank Seraphim for this post. I have been trying to sharpen a couple of razors that have lost their edge. I did not sharpen these blades originally and I figured that they were shaving before so I should not need much work on the bevel. I start out with a 1k stone, but did not stay there for very long. I finished my progression and tried shaving with them and they were not good. I took them back to the finisher with no improvement. After reading this post, (or the resurrection of this post) I took one of these blades back to the 1K stone and really took a good look at it under a loupe. I kept going until even the flat that I thought I might be able to see was gone, then a little more work on the 1K. I then went through the rest of my progression and tested the edge. No surprise that this time I got a shavable edge!

Sad part is that I have sharpened enough knives and edge tools to know this, but the feeling that that very fine and delicate edge should only take a few passes on the 1k stone was overwhelming.

Thanks for bringing this topic to light!

In the midst of my leg pulling, sarcasm, and general goofing around, I do try and be helpful from time to time as well....

Top Bottom