What's new

The key to a nice shave is through an one pass shave...

It's definitely easier on the skin to do a one pass shave it's nice with an efficient razor! 1 pass ATG with touch ups gets me a close shave on my dome with the right razor. However most of the time I enjoy doing 2-3 passes so I can enjoy the shave longer as it's therapeutic for me.

Multi-pass shaves with a SR are very gentle on the skin.

If I'm going to do a one pass shave, I might as well not shave 😄

One pass would leave me looking just as scruffy as not shaving.

I go for my 4 passes every day. I enjoy a comfortable BBS.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's definitely easier on the skin to do a one pass shave it's nice with an efficient razor! 1 pass ATG with touch ups gets me a close shave on my dome with the right razor. However most of the time I enjoy doing 2-3 passes so I can enjoy the shave longer as it's therapeutic for me.

Lucky man. I have tried a one pass ATG and it feels terrible during and after on my face. I could probably get away with a one pass ATG most days if it didn't feel like some kind of torture.

My question for proponents of the one pass shave: Are you able to build just enough lather for one pass or do you make as much as you normally would for a three pass shave?
On my first attempt at a one pass shave, I tried to load my brush with just enough for one pass, but this resulted in a subpar lather and an uncomfortable scritch from the brush. If I were to make as much as I usually do however, I would feel like I was wasting soap since I'm only doing one pass.

I know the one pass shave works well for some people, consider yourself lucky if you're able to achieve results you like with a single pass. In fact one of the BOSCers (Esox I believe,) likes doing a one pass ATG with a Fatip :blink:. I've tried it and while I do need some more experimenting before I can regularly do it with success, I'm glad to have an option for those days where I'm pressed for time. Otherwise like many of you I enjoy the ritual that accompanies the traditional three pass shave when I'm not in a rush.

My question for proponents of the one pass shave: Are you able to build just enough lather for one pass or do you make as much as you normally would for a three pass shave?
On my first attempt at a one pass shave, I tried to load my brush with just enough for one pass, but this resulted in a subpar lather and an uncomfortable scritch from the brush. If I were to make as much as I usually do however, I would feel like I was wasting soap since I'm only doing one pass.

I know the one pass shave works well for some people, consider yourself lucky if you're able to achieve results you like with a single pass. In fact one of the BOSCers (Esox I believe,) likes doing a one pass ATG with a Fatip :blink:. I've tried it and while I do need some more experimenting before I can regularly do it with success, I'm glad to have an option for those days where I'm pressed for time. Otherwise like many of you I enjoy the ritual that accompanies the traditional three pass shave when I'm not in a rush.

I make lather for a three pass. No save on soap. Have plenty for another year or two.

I make lather for a three pass. No save on soap. Have plenty for another year or two.
Thank you, that question's been in my head for a while now. Dialing in a proper lather while intentionally under-loading your brush must be impossible then.

I guess the solution for me is to just buy more soap :biggrin1:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I do the single pass on my Monday-Friday routine before work morning shaves, then a double pass on Sat & Sun when I've got a little more time to enjoy my shave experience. Works well for me, but of course there will be lots of varied opinions on this board.

I can get a passable shave with one pass. It depends on the razor I use and how long in between shaves it has been. But two passes will get the job done every time for me.

Reactions: bjm
I only shave twice a week but prefer razors that get me 95% shaven in the first pass. While I always do two passes with a full face relather, my second pass is really a full face cleanup pass. I could easily after my first pass just jump straight into touch ups and reduce my time and get the same results. I just enjoy the process so I do a full face full lather second pass. It also gives the soaps I like more time to sit on the face and let the good ingredients condition my skin. I used to get a of irritation with milder razors that required multiple passes to actually get me clean shaven. More efficiency was the key for me.

Reactions: bjm

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To corrupt the thread title, the key to a nice shave, is doing as much as you feel is necessary, and no more.

With double edge, sometimes I do one pass, sometimes two, often three, very rarely four. My shaves vary to suit my mood. I don't vary razors much, nor soap and brushes, but blades and the shave itself can change.

With a straight, or straight format razors, I will usually do no more than two passes. Usually one and a bit of touch up.

I shave every day. Mostly because no matter how close my shave was yesterday, when I woke up this morning I felt stubble. Which I can't stand.

And I shave with two passes, ATG and XTG, with tons of buffing, every day. I shave not to have a "look," but to feel a smooth face for the rest of the day and evening. I could never be happy with a one-pass shave. But more power to the rest of you!

BBS shaves are overrated and unfashionable too. Many surveys suggest that women find stubble and shadow more attractive than clean shaven. My Mrs hates me to be bbs and much prefers a very short detailed beard look.

This is a heresy. The whole point of a multi-pass shave is to do as little damage to the face as possible. Single pass shaves encourage the use of too much pressure trying to get a decent shave causing excessive exfoliation. Multi-pass shaving encourages the use of very light to almost no pressure for minimal exfoliation. Next, the single pass shave results in a hair shaft having an oblique pointed tip on one side-an invitation to ingrown hairs. A multi-pass shave rounds off the tip of the hair and moves any "pointyness" back towards the center of the shaft thereby avoiding in grown hairs. Finally, a multi-pass shave lasts two days (three if you are using a SR) so your face gets a chance to heal fully.

For all these reasons an every other day multi-pass shave is far superior to a daily single pass shave. I suppose in theory a daily single pass shave would be OK if your beard is light and you have tough skin. That isn't most of us here.

Yes, heresy! Next thing you know these deplorable one pass shavers are going to suggest we shave with cold water. BEFORE a shower! Get out your torches and pitchforks we must stamp this out! Ha ha.

Would if I could. I couldn’t meet Army grooming standards with a one pass shave unfortunately
Me too. I can't get rid of the gleaming gray stubble with anything less than two passes with a touch-up, even with the most aggressive razor (ATT H2, R41, and various open combs).

Top Bottom