What's new

The horror of Trumper's Sandalwood Soap.

Greetings, all;

It's been a while since I've contributed regularly here, as travel, work and my daughter's upcoming wedding have kept me preoccupied. I'm back today to once again vent about one incredibly bad product experience. I don't like bad-mouthing a product, but I have to wonder if it's me or if I just got a lemon version of this soap.

A few months ago, I visited Cambridge Pharmacy in New York and picked up a few shaving soaps. I bought a puck of Trumper's Sandalwood, a wood bowl with Trumper's Almond soap and a small puck of TOBS Traditional in a small plastic container. The TOBS has always been a great soap in lathering and performance. But my experience with the Trumper's, especially the sandalwood has been pretty much a disaster.

One would think I never whipped up lather with a brush, bowl and soap when one examines the results I get with the Trumper's sandalwood. I've used a variety of soaps (TOBS, Mama Bears, Conk and my favorite, Tabac) and creams (Bigelow, Indian Old Spice) and have never had a problem whipping up a great bowl of face full of thick, rich lather. (Of course, my skills have been developed based on lots of things I learned right here).

But, man alive, every time I've tried the Trumper's sandalwood, I wind up with the thinnest, runniest lather that literally vanishes from my face in a matter of seconds after I brush it on. I've tried tap water (the Virginia water I use with this works fine with everything else), distilled water, various stiffness of brushes, more water, less water, warm water, hot water, slow and methodical brush loading, long whipping sessions in the bowl...nothing seems to work. I've done a number of test lathers, which seem to look great in the bowl but vanish into the ether once I begin brushing it on. I have never had a single lathering session with this soap where I haven't just wiped it off my face before touching a blade to my skin and heading for the Tabac.

I seem to have more success with the almond soap, but it has its own idiosyncrasies that make getting a good lather lots of work.

I guess I'm just going to have to use this stuff as body soap, since I hate the thought of tossing the puck away (especially considering what I paid for it). Perhaps it can be an addition to a cream-based super lather, although I don't hold much hope out for that.

I just wondered if this is common with Trumper's hard soaps, or did I just get a lemon?

I've tried all the scents and the only one I consider worthwhile is the Rose. I agree with your findings, although the Sandalwood was by no means the worst-I give that prize to the coconut. The Violet scent was pretty good too but not quite up there with the Rose. I have just ordered another puck of the Rose, such is my high opinion of that one. As for the rest, well, I binned all of mine!!!!

I had a puck of veggie based rose a couple years ago that worked fine. You just had to load a LOT more product on the brush compared to some other soaps I've used. Try more product, much more before adding any water. I would also try scraping off the outer layer of soap on the top of the puck.

Also, I have no idea of GFT changed up the formula since that batch of veggie soaps. It's possible they did and they're duds.

Interesting. I like their creams and have heard good things about them. I think next soap I get I'll try something a bit lower risk.

I am using Trumper almond at the moment and it makes a great lather. Maybe its a bad batch, or maybe they've cut costs in the manufacturing process now.

I think the creams are superior to the soaps.

I absolutely positively love Trumper Coconut Soap. I don't know why there is so much hate for Trumper soap, but I love it.

To think that in recent, if fading, memory this was one of the finest soaps available to civilzed man. Such is the price of progress and biodiesel.

I have the Trumpers lime soap. I love the scent, but the lather is very thin. When I use softened water and load the brush heavily I can get a decent lather. I am going to turn it I to a shave stick and see how that changes the performance. I love the other Trumpers products, but the soap sucks

If you might have noticed, Trumpers Sandalwood soap has been out of stock with most vendors. Trumpers is supposed to have more in stock next month possibly re-formulated.

Hopefully improved - maybe they got the message.

Must say that I don't have problems with a lot of soaps people slate on here. Must be our water is good for lathering.

I noticed on fleabay at the end of last year, loads of unboxed seconds of Trumpers soap being sold off cheap, so maybe they're clearing out the old stock ready for a new formula.

Last edited:
I have had a very good experience with all of my GFT soaps. I have the Rose, Violet, Almond, Sandalwood, Limes and Eucris and am very fond of them all. I have had no trouble getting plenty of great, rich lather for four passes with plenty to spare. This certainly may be a case of YMMV, or, as I suspect, the quality of ones water. I do have relatively soft water and don't have trouble lathering soaps that some others have experienced. My current products are, regrettably, all new formula and range from one to two years old. Perhaps the newer products have changed again. I hope not. In any event I very much enjoy my GFT soaps and would replace them all...that is if they have not deteriorated in quality.

Regards,

Doug

There was a bad batch out there and I mean BAD. I have limes, rose, Eucris, and Almond. The Eucris is finicky but I still get a good lather. The others work amazing. Well I got a bowl of the Violet and it was exactly like you mentioned. It SUCKED! Of course when I spoke of my experience the response was that I was a moron and didn't know how to lather soaps. It was awful and it just didnt lather. I sold it off to a poor guy that was willing to try it and it failed him as well. He said he couldnt even use it as a bath soap!!!!!! Trumpers soaps are good. A bad batch kind of ruined it for many though. Eucris is good but no where it needs to be. I just love the scent too much to get rid of it.

JKT, I am sorry to say to say it but Ihave had similar reaction to my posts about Trumper almond. Only it was the vaunted tallow version(soap base, shave soap base). To put it bluntly it is inferior to even some of my poorer vet soaps. I also completely agree with Doug that these soaps are quite particular about the water they like. I have even tried distilled water but it does not work. Soft water is another thing to distilled and I don't have it. I would really like to try Trumper with softened water. MWF as well. Like you I find my cake of Eucris performs better than the almond. It is no Provence Sante by a long mile but it is a favourite scent.

Cheers, Todd

In my experience, GFT soaps need a lot of time to "break in" (about 20 times of use) - more than any other soap I've ever used. Once properly broken in, they're very, very nice soaps (in my opinion at least).

With MWF and Tabac, you can whip up a lather in a hurry and without even trying properly. Trumper definitely takes more effort.

Top Bottom