What's new

The Gillette Red Tip Alternative

I collect Gillette razors and have acquired a bunch of them. I really like the TTO flair tip Super Speeds but most are too mild for my liking. I really like the Red Tip, it's aggressiveness is just right. They are harder to find and can be more expensive than the regular Flair Tips. The first Super Speed I found was my G-3 (1986) black handle. It shaved so good, I ended up buying any Super Speed that I could find at antique malls and flea markets. The second one I bought was a L-4 (1966) in nickel assuming that it would shave the same as my G-3 but look much better. I was very disappointed. it was much more mild and I didn't enjoy the shaves nearly as much. I eventually found a Red Tip and it was perfect. It compares very favorably with my G-3 black handle. I now have Super Speeds from 1940's thru 1986 and have compared them all to my Red Tip and '86 black handle. All are very mild.

There have been three different head designs since 1964. You can tell by the stamp shape of the bottom plate. The bottom plates of the '64 thru, I think, '69 have a diamond shape with sharper ends towards the sides of the head while the '70 thru 3rd quarter of 1978 have rounder diamond ends. In the 4th quarter 1978 the bottom plate changed to the rectangle stamped bottom head plate. This new head design has perfect aggressiveness. I sure wish that Gillette made some of them in all nickel plating. The black handle looks have never been my favorite. Especially the new knurling/ checkering that they switched to for their handles in the early '80s.

If you are looking for a similar shaver to a Gillette Red Tip, you should try a black handle from the period (Y-4 thru I-4). They tend to be dirt cheap and shave wonderfully like the much sought after Red Tip. I do not know how many of you Red Tip Gillette lovers have been passing up a great razor assuming it was just another black handle mild Super Speed. Go find one and give it a try and post your thoughts.

From the left to right - L-4 1966, P-4 1970, G-3 1986. Notice the bottom plate stamp shape and handle texture pattern.

20200306_185251a.jpg
20200306_185344a.jpg
20200306_191121a.jpg
20200306_191137a.jpg

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nice write up and images, thank you. I have a US and also an English Red Tip and although the English version is meant to have a larger blade gap I cannot tell the difference in use. I also have an English Flare Tip Rocket which I enjoy as my travel razor. Is there any way of which you are aware that I can date my English razors? I have a feeling the answer is no.

Excellent information! Thanks! I always wondered how well the 1980's Super Speeds performed. I always assumed they were super mild, now I need to get one!

Nice write up and images, thank you. I have a US and also an English Red Tip and although the English version is meant to have a larger blade gap I cannot tell the difference in use. I also have an English Flare Tip Rocket which I enjoy as my travel razor. Is there any way of which you are aware that I can date my English razors? I have a feeling the answer is no.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the English made Gillettes. I do not own any and did not know that they were not date coded like the yank razors.

I finally tried the black handle....was sitting on my sink for months and you are right; they are excellent. For me, it's even better than red tip (I have Ax2, B, C).....now the black is my fav.

@Captain H
So are you saying the rectangular bottom plate black handles are more aggressive than the diamond-bottom black handles? I have 2, but both have the diamond bottom.

Update, I searched the bay and there are some black ones that fall into the years that would be in the range that you listed that have the straight lines(for example from 1980) that I saw. Confusing.
I saw 2 from 1980 date code A which had the same bottom plate as the G but had the same handle pattern as the P code one.

Last edited:
Update, I searched the bay and there are some black ones that fall into the years that would be in the range that you listed that have the straight lines(for example from 1980) that I saw. Confusing.
I saw 2 from 1980 date code A which had the same bottom plate as the G but had the same handle pattern as the P code one.

The first three or so years of the new bottom plate the handle pattern did not change. Sometime between 1980 and 1984 they changed to the checker pattern.

Yes. My two examples are close to my Red Tip in performance.
Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. It is the same with the white-handled Slim Twists - the earlier with the diamond bottom plate are milder than the later ones with the rectangular plate.

Great write up and pictures, thanks! Ill have to add a black handle SS to my list of future purchases

I will be looking for a B2 I guess. That was the year I graduated high school. Thanks for the info. I have 2 black handles from the 60's that I really enjoy.

Top Bottom