What's new

The Efficiency of the H.I.S.

Then perhaps you should try one of the shorter lofted Muhles.

That may well be a good plan - provided they ever make a 25mm with a 50 to 55mm loft (I think the closest they can get to that currently is 23/56). I do have the Frank's Shaving synthetic - which is considerably smaller than the H.I.S., but once again, it was a bit "less" than I had been hoping for.

The Muhles do have high lofts, but you can order a lose knot from them and then set it deep to achieve the loft you want. I'v been emailing them about one, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger to see how it would work with a shorter loft.

The Muhles do have high lofts, but you can order a lose knot from them and then set it deep to achieve the loft you want. I'v been emailing them about one, I'm very tempted to pull the trigger to see how it would work with a shorter loft.

It would be cheaper to sacrifice the handle on the H.I.S and re-set it into another handle, maybe a Whipped Dog, they're cheap.

It would be cheaper to sacrifice the handle on the H.I.S and re-set it into another handle, maybe a Whipped Dog, they're cheap.

I'v thought about it, but I I dont have the tools to do that right now. Though if someone wants to send me one I'd happily set it and report back :001_rolle I also have a couple handles that could take the 25mm knot, but I'd have to order something for the 28mm HIS.

Definately a YMMV thing because it face lathers great for me. I will admit to not having used really high end brushes but frankly I doubt I will ever drop more than 50 on a brush. Also I will admit the face lathering experience is a little different with this brush meaning I start very dry and add very small amounts of water. But other than that it works perfectly for me. Decent exfoliating and great lather from less product than other brushes require. It ain't a Cadillac but for me a good Honda will do. Great brush just as it is IMO...

It makes lather well enough, its the face feel that is lacking for many of us. But by all means, if you enjoy it, dont let this crabby shaver change your mind lol

I think you said your a synthetic only guy in a post once. Its a shame they dont have the diversity that badgers do. I dont think there is even a "chubby" style synthetic knot out there for us, even one to have a custom brush made with.

It's funny what happens when you shave yourself into a corner....there are only a couple brushes that really please you. For what its worth I felt like a snot because of my tastes, not at all for anything you said. So dont worry yourself!

Last edited:
I own a 23 mm Muhle Silvertip, a 25 mm Muhle Silvertip and the H.I.S. The H.I.S. and the 25 mm Muhle Silvertip are at the same quality of shave with the 23 mm falling slightly behind those two. The H.I.S. and the 25 mm Muhle Silvertip are equally efficient in generating and applying lather. The 25 mm Muhle can get in a little closer which can help in face lathering, but the H.I.S. size excels at bowl lathering. The competition between the H.I.S. and the 25 mm Muhle Silvertip are a draw. If you want looks go with the higher priced 25 mm Muhle Silvertip. If you want to go on price go the the H.I.S.

Thank you for that honest round up, Sir :thumbup:
Ordered a 25 mm Silvertip Fibre in ivory imitation based on this exact post - I'm sure I will nit be disappointed in any way, when compared to what badger brushes cost - also ordered a new Chubby 2 in 2-Band:

Mühle Silvertip Fibre 25 mm ivory - €65
Simpson Chubby 2 in 2-Band - €195

Got both and 10% in discount.

Just a reminder for reference sake, here are some brush comparisons.

proxy.php

I'm still on the fence about the H.I.S. I can't deny that this brush is a great value. It also makes insane lather, and has by far the softest tips out of anything I've tried. I almost think its too soft though. I definitely agree that the loft is much to high. The fibers are plenty stiff but with all that height its just kind of floppy. I kind of want to use it just to make lather and then switch to a natural brush to apply.

The thought about sacrificing the handle and setting the knot deeper actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I may have to try this.

The brush really does makes incredible lather and is extremely comfortable on the face. It is, though, a bit too floppy and tends to hold much of the good later and moisture far back towards the knot. Shortening the loft sounds like a great idea!

The thought about sacrificing the handle and setting the knot deeper actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I may have to try this.

Did you give this a try? I'm thinking about trying some Orings or Velcro someday when I get bored.

Did you give this a try? I'm thinking about trying some Orings or Velcro someday when I get bored.

Yes I'm wondering about it too. The hande is so huge and the high loft makes it very unusual for face lathering. I was thinking the same thing loft maybe 45-50mm and a MUCH smaller handle.
Anyone try it yet?
Aaron

The brush really does makes incredible lather and is extremely comfortable on the face. It is, though, a bit too floppy and tends to hold much of the good later and moisture far back towards the knot. Shortening the loft sounds like a great idea!

I've noticed the same thing. It's a very soft brush and feels great on the face, but lathering it, for me anyway, is a bit frustrating because all of the good lather is held so deep.

The brush has some quirks, but I dont think lather hogging is one of them. Have you given your brush 10~15 lathers to break in and loosen up? Mine broke in some with use, and I think that would help you out here. I tend to hoard ultra dense brushes, but this one has by far the best flow threw of anything I own YMMV.

Yes I'm wondering about it too. The hande is so huge and the high loft makes it very unusual for face lathering. I was thinking the same thing loft maybe 45-50mm and a MUCH smaller handle.
Anyone try it yet?
Aaron

I've tried (shortening the loft, not changing the handle) and really liked the result. Easy enough for anyone to try too...

Top Bottom