What's new

The Discount Gentleman

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or the speakeasy. I seem to acquire a new hobby every year, but also work in an industry where I don't have a lot of disposable income. I like being a gentleman, but would count myself as a discounted one. So here is my discount way to be a gentleman.

Face/Hair.
Haircut by sports-clips, a gal I really like that does a great job: 15.00

Shaving: Free Fat boy Razor, Walmart blades (I am ordering the sample pack), Bigalow cream: 5.00, mixed in a Walmart (not that big a fan of wally world, just happen to get it there) mug: 2.00. After Shave Cream, Neutrogena Extra Sensitive: 5.00

Cologne: Dolce Gabana, at Dillards local going out of business sale: 11.00

Suit/Shirt: Double breasted and 4 button suits from Burlington Coat Factory: 165.00 a piece. 3 Button pinstripe gray from Thrift Store: 25.00
Shirt: Old Navy: 15.00 Garage Sale plus cuff links: 6.00

Watch: Seiko Kinetic Auto-relay (along with 9 other Seiko and citizen watches) 110.00 Sliver, silver face.

Pen: Shaffer 1960's School Fountain Pen: 5.00 at thrift store. Ink 4.50 a 5 pack.
Note Paper: Sugarcane paper notebook from staples: 2.50

Shoes: Black Leather lace ups: Free from a old friend. Leather Penny Loafers: 25.00 on sale red wing shoes.

So there you have me. I think I look pretty good, and most people don't know the difference. Now that isn't to say, that I wouldn't like to upgrade at some point. I do think that there are finer things, but you can look and act like a gentleman, without spending a fortune.

Marty

Though it is true that folks don't have to spend $1000 on a Brooks Brothers cashmere sport coat in order to look professional, it is worthwhile to look at a basic wardrobe as necessary tools for adult living. Much as a carpenter wouldn't think of purchasing a subrate table saw unless he could afford nothing else, a professional should look to getting as much value out of what he can comfortably afford. The return may not be obvious, but it is certainly there in the value of one's first impression.

A VERY good book for those interested in beginning the process of building one's professional toolbox is Men's Wardrobe by the Chic Simple Partners. It's a very easy read with lots of quality examples and pictures. The checklists for the grown up closet are absolutely invaluable.

a good source for daily bargains is http://dealnews.com - i've come across a lot of online companies having generous sales, so if you're on a budget this is the place to look.

I went to the Salvation Army yesterday just to check out their suit selection and they were dirt cheap (all suits under $10). but, with the Salvation Army you're not necessarily going to get the best selection of stuff, although, I did come across a Jos A Bank suit.

Yeah, Marty, you're doing fine. I think one of the marks of a gentleman is knowing the value of things and figuring out that price doesn't always equal quality.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can buy fashion, you can buy expensive fashion, and you can even buy rediculously-expensive-showin'-off-my-money fashion, but ...

You can't buy taste and you can't buy style.

If you have taste and style, you don't need to buy fashion, because you look good anyhow! Knowing what to buy (and more importantly what not to buy ... because it's this year's fugly trend) and knowing your proper size and how to get stuff tailored to fit properly is a heck of a lot more important than having big-time bucks to blow at Brooks Bros.

Mind you, the best quality stuff IS good, and it IS expensive ... and IMHO it's worth the price if you can afford it. But of course not everthing that is expensive is worth the asking price. :ohmy:

You can buy fashion, you can buy expensive fashion, and you can even buy rediculously-expensive-showin'-off-my-money fashion, but ...

You can't buy taste and you can't buy style.

If you have taste and style, you don't need to buy fashion, because you look good anyhow! Knowing what to buy (and more importantly what not to buy ... because it's this year's fugly trend) and knowing your proper size and how to get stuff tailored to fit properly is a heck of a lot more important than having big-time bucks to blow at Brooks Bros.

Mind you, the best quality stuff IS good, and it IS expensive ... and IMHO it's worth the price if you can afford it. But of course not everthing that is expensive is worth the asking price. :ohmy:

Well said. :clap:

Top Bottom