What's new

The Codger Cabin

One of my downtown Walgreens stores had an upstairs lunch room, with windows that looked down on the main shopping street and the cross street. That store is still there, but I have no idea what occupies that space now.

We had two Woolworth's stores within five blocks of each other. Both are gone now: one enveloped by a hotel and restaurant, the other long buried as part of the Hard Rock Hotel-to-be that collapsed in 2019.

Downtown streets were full of character. One would often bump into a neighbor or someone in town they knew. Real service in those stores too. Gentlemen held the door for ladies and children. So much has been lost.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

54-3-8.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My gosh. That would be almost $2700 today -- a major investment indeed. Nowadays you can buy a window unit for less than $200 and a portable A/C box for less than $700 -- under $60 back then.

Keep perspective on the time. 1954. We're looking back 70 years.

Seventy years ago, having residential air conditioning, especially in a typical middle class home, was a major luxury feature. Most bigger mansions still didn't have central air then, either. Indoor AC installations were still primarily limited to commercial locations.

Back then, people often went to the movie theater in hot summer for the air conditioning as much as to see the feature.

I think the only automobile models to even contemplate AC at this point were Imperial and Cadillac limos (my recollection is the AC was in the trunk on them).

These RCA units were among the earliest window models, not unlike the early TV sets then. Being early means you are paying for all the R&D.

But in just a few more years, like everything else, window AC units would be everywhere, and the prices would plummet accordingly.

The early ones were also built to last. I remember a 1957 or '58 Sears Coldspot 7,500 BTU model we once had. The thing ran faithfully every summer, always cooled the place like a meat locker, and finally died ... in 1998. That's forty years of service.

The last Sears air conditioner we bought was also a 7,500 BTU. I think with the sale and a coupon, we paid only $100 for it in 2008. It is made in China, and I doubt it will still be working in 2048.

In 1954, just a month after this AC ad ... the first RCA color TV set came out, the CT-100. It only had a 15" picture tube. And it was $1,000. Almost as much as a car then!

Look on the bright side. You could have bought 4 RCA air conditioners, and cooled the whole house, for the price of that TV.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Seems like a safe place to live, where even your hat stays on in a convertible ...

54-4-5.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

This guy likes to smoke a pipe whether it's suit or skivvies ...

54-4-5.3.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

This guy likes to smoke a pipe whether it's suit or skivvies ...

View attachment 1853459

Reminded me of a humorous story...
When I was in the service, we either wore our uniforms, or civilian attire nicknamed civvies (pronounced sivvys).
We also referred to our underwear as skivvies.
My ex once got the two mixed up and announced to a group of non-military friends that I was very happy that I finally got permission to walk around downtown in my skivvies.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Reminded me of a humorous story...
When I was in the service, we either wore our uniforms, or civilian attire nicknamed civvies (pronounced sivvys).
We also referred to our underwear as skivvies.
My ex once got the two mixed up and announced to a group of non-military friends that I was very happy that I finally got permission to walk around downtown in my skivvies.
Now that would have been a funny sight to see!!! :lol:

Top Bottom