What's new

The Codger Cabin

'Arf an' 'arf agin this mornin', Guv'nor: a half-bowl of the H & H blend in my Colossal billiard with the lightly-bent stem. Smoked beautifully, 20 minutes, no tongue bite. I do think that these codger cuts like SWR and H & H load and pack more easily into a smaller-bowled pipe, though. A half-bowl is kind of lost in a tall billiard.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
'Arf an' 'arf agin this mornin', Guv'nor: a half-bowl of the H & H blend in my Colossal billiard with the lightly-bent stem. Smoked beautifully, 20 minutes, no tongue bite. I do think that these codger cuts like SWR and H & H load and pack more easily into a smaller-bowled pipe, though. A half-bowl is kind of lost in a tall billiard.
No way around it. Codgers rule. I prefer tobaccos that were blended before I was.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I got a tub of Velvet because the Artful Codger, Ben, touted it and said it was his favorite. I was sorely disappointed because I couldn’t get a damn thing out of it but I kept trying from time to time and sometimes would get a taste of something wonderful but couldn’t get it with any consistently. I kept trying on occasion but couldn’t unlock it for the life of me. Then @Columbo got this PA thing going then the codger cabin and mentioned the breath method, loose packing and what I call smoking almost as an afterthought. I applied this to velvet and it opened Velvet’s door. It is a beautiful smoke but requires an invitation. You can’t make it happen but you can let it just like PA, H&H, LLRR, etc. Sometimes I wonder if codger blends are an appropriate genre for the novice piper. If you don’t have your piping skills dialed in the chances of getting much out of them are pretty slim. Then again, it could be an attitude thing. It took me a long time to get my head right but it was worth the trip.
When I first began this journey @Columbo was one of the first people to jump in and mentor me along. He encouraged me to stick with codger blends until I could pick out the flavor...best advice I could have gotten. I struggled for a long while. All I was getting from Carter Hall was cigarettes...not what I was looking for. Then, one day I found chocolate and hazelnut. It was my first real piping breakthrough and I haven't looked back. Learning from codgers was tough, but their lessons apply across all blends.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
We seem to have similar tastes in tobaccos. Something that I recently started smoking thanks to @RookieGuy, is Sutliff Match Field and Stream. I don’t recall ever smoking the original, which is probably a good thing, but it is, like H&H, a soft comfortable smoke. You may want to pick up a couple of ounces and give it a try.

We seem to have similar tastes in tobaccos. Something that I recently started smoking thanks to @RookieGuy, is Sutliff Match Field and Stream. I don’t recall ever smoking the original, which is probably a good thing, but it is, like H&H, a soft comfortable smoke. You may want to pick up a couple of ounces and give it a try.
Ha. Ribbon cut! Easier for me to load in a pipe, especially a tall one. Smokingpipes is out of stock on it, though I see Pipes and Cigars has it for $2.25 /oz. for 2-3 ounces.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve finished my PA vs Match PA “experiment”. I smoked PA for several days before having a bowl of the Match blend and found I was wrong saying they much the same. First, the “pouch” note wasn’t even close. Then the flavor was obviously not the same at all. Both are respectable blends but I much prefer the original. A very noticeable difference was the aftertaste in the Match. It wasn’t entirely disagreeable but I found it to be distracting from the overall smoke. It likely had to do with the Cavendish @Columbo mentioned. The significant difference for me is that I can easily smoke the original all day but not so with the Match as it doesn’t compete on the pleasantness scale for my taste. The downside is that I only have about 1/3 of my last pouch of PA but I’m going to start looking in all the shops around here and hopefully find some still available and will buy all I can find. I’m living on the edge of nowhere so there may still be a chance. Bottom line is that the Match is a decent smoke but it is not the same as what has been smoked for more than 100 years, the venerable Prince of American blends.

I've ordered 2 oz. and will see how it goes! This will give me 4 choices to smoke, not including the bit of vintage (ca. 15 years old!) chocolate-maple blend I still have. The old Tinder Box VBL, the black Cavendish, can maybe be sprinkled into one of the codgers so as not to be wasted, but I really don't plan to smoke it by itself.

I am smoking a lot of Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic. Got a damaged 12 oz canister and the dealer told me to keep it, and then sent a replacement. The seal at the bottom of the canister was stove in -- you know those canisters are foil lined paper. perfectly adequate if the seal remains intact. Funny, because I've got plastic canisters of Prince Albert and Carter Hall.

Today, Sir Walter Raleigh in a small no-name bent apple. Oddly I only needed one match to get it going for some 25 minutes, and one more for another 10. Perhaps the tobacco had dried just enough while sitting in the pipe for the last 24 hours!

Some Sir Walter Raleigh this morning in my Peterson No. 307 pipe made for a good 20-minute smoke -- quite tasty, actually. The more I smoke this and the Half and Half, the more I appreciate them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some Sir Walter Raleigh this morning in my Peterson No. 307 pipe made for a good 20-minute smoke -- quite tasty, actually. The more I smoke this and the Half and Half, the more I appreciate them.
A wonderful development. Welcome to our little park bench.

A wonderful development. Welcome to our little park bench.
Next time I visit my local grocery chain, I'll go to the customer service desk and ask if they have any pipe tobacco. If they do, which I doubt (Walmart doesn't have anything but cigarettes and chawin' tobaccy, and CVS eschewed tobacco completely some years ago), I might luck into some Carter Hall!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My Sutliff Match Field & Stream arrived about noon today, and I just finished an inaugural 20-minute smoke of it in my Savinelli army-mount billiard. Very soft and cool, no tongue bite at all. I left a bowl's worth out on a saucer for a couple of hours to dry it out a bit.
I prefer it a bit dry myself

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
[Hopefully, I will try to post these items on a regular (or semi-regular) basis, as a continuing feature for our little group to enjoy. And-away-we-go ... ]

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

26-7.1.jpg

As much as I know about the 1920s in America, I had to look her up. Irene Bordoni (not "Treue" Bordoni, as I first thought from her handwriting) was an actress and singer who premiered "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" from Cole Porter. She was also featured in the Lucky cigarette ads with the tagline, "I smoke a Lucky to keep petite."

And .12 in 1926 is approximately equal to $1.73 today. No idea how big that Tuxedo tin is -- 2 ounces, maybe?

The ad also suggests that Tuxedo tobacco could be used for roll-your-own cigarettes.

Top Bottom