What's new

The Codger Cabin

With many young men back from the war, not all of whom could go to college, and no GI Bill, the 1920's were definitely the era of the correspondence school. Studying while smoking. Not a bad deal.

Going to school from home. The more things change ...

The people scanning these in for me tell me there are now over 700 of them. So I'll try to post one a day for a while as my schedule permits. Not too many for the 1920s. But the era of tobacco we now talk about really takes off after 1930.

Wish I could get one of those he-man big-pay jobs...guess I just don't read the right ads.

My grandfather was one of those returning doughboys. He only had a 6th grade education (which, if you look at some of the textbooks of the day, was pretty comprehensive, especially the mathematics curriculum) but the only time I ever saw him not wearing a white dress shirt, tie, and black oxfords was when he was hunting or fishing, or in his workshop. He was also the kind of guy who would tackle a job whenever he noticed a problem, and so it was not unusual to see his knife-edge creased trousers and black oxfords sticking out from under his car.

He smoked Prince Albert when he had a pipe going, but most often smoked cigarettes until the grandkids badgered him to quit.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

28-1.1.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
A dose of nicely dried Half & Half in a small GBD bent apple -- it looks like the pipe in the American School ad above! -- gave me a pleasant early a.m. smoke. There was a little pepperiness at the back of my tongue afterward, that I don't get with Raleigh, Carter Hall, or Match Field & Stream, but do get with EGR. Anybody else have that? Or am I just puffing those tobaccos too fast? I get 20 minutes on a small bowl, so I don't think I'm burning them up too quickly.
I only get pepper with Perique, you won't find any in H&H. Do you mean some light tongue bite or actual spicy peppery flavor?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
No, not a flavor exactly. Maybe it is a light tongue bite. Is there perique in the Robinson blend? Because I have very much the same result with it as I do with Half & Half.
There is a very light touch of spices in both H&H and EGR (very very light), but nothing that should come across as ’peppery’. I don’t get the sense from your reports that you are oversmoking it either.

Tastes are a complex, individualized thing. Give it a couple more days to see if it was something transitory.

The RCA Super-Het cost $225 in 1926??? That would have been quite an outlay even for the Roaring Twenties!
Well, the first Blu-ray players cracked 4 digits when they first came out. Compact disk players weren't much cheaper accounting for inflation. And you could have bought a base model Benz plus one with all the Gucci upgrades for the price of a first year Tesla. It costs to be an early adopter of new technology.

I asked this morning at the large Walmart where I usually shop for groceries. No, no pipe tobacco at all. (The clerk peered at me as if I'd asked for Egyptian mummy dust.) Next time I'm in the grocery where I found the Carter Hall, I'll grab another packet.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My ability to taste returned today and I began the day with EGR and really got the
Essence of this subtle but lovely blend. I do believe this tin is going to turn into a tub. It is definitely a keeper. This evening is being dedicated to SWRA which shares many characteristics of EGR. I will still have an occasional bowl of an English, Balkan or VaPer but my heart is definitely with traditional American blends now and only a select few of those I believe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I asked this morning at the large Walmart where I usually shop for groceries. No, no pipe tobacco at all. (The clerk peered at me as if I'd asked for Egyptian mummy dust.) Next time I'm in the grocery where I found the Carter Hall, I'll grab another packet.
Finding pipe tobacco in grocery and drug stores is heading for a thing of the past unfortunately. No one carries what I would call a selection. My grocery has tubs of SWR and Captain Black and pouches of SWRA but that’s about it. Great selection of chewing tobacco if you chew. I just order tubs of what I like now. I wish STG would get on the stick because there I one very important tub missing from the lineup

Any of you guys like any of the Amphora blends?

I have a pouch of the Original and like it for a nice change of pace. It burns well and I'd say it has stronger flavor and more nicotine than my 2 favorite Codger/OTC brands PA & CH.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

I have a pouch of the Original and like it for a nice change of pace. It burns well and I'd say it has stronger flavor and more nicotine than my 2 favorite Codger/OTC brands PA & CH.

It’s been a long long time since I smoked it. My recollection is that it was good tasting, but I didn’t prefer it as a daily. So I never stocked it in my cellar. Maybe I should revisit it one of these days.

But that’s what change-of-pace blends are for. If you like it, smoke it up!

I've had some in the past. Can't really say I was a fan of it. On paper, it should have worked. But for my varying mileage, not so much.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

28-2.1.jpg

Gee, just 10 cents, in stamps yet . . . and note that there is no need for a postal code on the form. This was long before ZIP codes, of course, but as America got more crowded, postal zones became necessary.

Top Bottom