What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

33-2.3.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Union Leader. Another of these now-classic first-decade 20th Century blends. And among the most popular sellers of the golden codger era. And for a singularly obvious reason that they relentlessly hammered. During this period (still under original creator Lorillard, one of the oldest American blenders) it was good, solid Burley, topped with a whiff of maple. Many families have remembrances of Union Leader smokers in them ... dads, granddads and uncles. Later House of Windsor production was reportedly not as good tasting. Sutliff also blended a match version (I have no idea how that tasted).

We’ll see a lot of Union Leader on the coffee table throughout most of the depression era, including many celebrity endorsements and consistent two column ads. A full-court press ... for a ten cent tin. They obviously sold a mountain of Union Leader to justify that effort.

View attachment 1253530
The three reviews on TR gave the Sutliff Match good reviews for being close to the original and HoW versions. Unfortunately they no longer produce it. If it were still available, I would certainly give it a try. These old blends are intriguing.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-3.1.jpg

The maple topping in Union Leader must have been quite mild, certainly much milder than the other Maple-topped blends which I have steadfastly avoided. I do recall that I tried it back in the Lorillard days and didn't find it to be anything special.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The maple topping in Union Leader must have been quite mild, certainly much milder than the other Maple-topped blends which I have steadfastly avoided. I do recall that I tried it back in the Lorillard days and didn't find it to be anything special.

Yes. As I mentioned, it was no more than a “whiff”. The Burley was good, especially for the price. Same league as Edgeworth? No.

When we talk about classic blends with maple, there are a couple coming down the line in several weeks.

I go to lots of antique shops and look at many different tobacco advertisements and tins. Union Leader and Prince Albert are the overall leaders with Edgeworth Ready Rub a close third. But Union Leader certainly was popular once upon a time. This thread has gotten me curious about these old blends. Which is the point of advertisements I guess.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-4.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-5.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-4.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-6.1.jpg

Seems they always stress “well kept pipe”.
This got me thinking. Both sets of grandparents (from the Greatest Generation) and the grandparents of many of my friends at the time, it was almost always the woman doing the shopping for almost everything. While granddad was working, it was grandma out keeping the pantry full. So it makes sense that SWR seems to be courting her dollar as much as his. I can really see the whole "If he's going to smoke a pipe, get him this. It'll smell better" appealing to her as much as him.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This got me thinking. Both sets of grandparents (from the Greatest Generation) and the grandparents of many of my friends at the time, it was almost always the woman doing the shopping for almost everything. While granddad was working, it was grandma out keeping the pantry full. So it makes sense that SWR seems to be courting her dollar as much as his. I can really see the whole "If he's going to smoke a pipe, get him this. It'll smell better" appealing to her as much as him.
Good observation.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-7.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-5.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-8.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

33-8.2.jpg

Top Bottom