What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

32-9.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

32-9.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-10.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-10.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-10.3.jpg

My inaugural smoke of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic today! I dried a pinch of the blend for about a half hour while I shaved and ate. Then I loaded the 307 Peterson -- Sir Walter and the Irish pipe have become my default Saturday morning smoke -- and had almost 30 minutes with it after the true light. I relit and got 5 more minutes, which gave me a bit of throat dryness; I could have skipped that. But I see why so many of you have raved about this blend.

Not sure yet if I prefer it over its older brother; more research is needed.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-11.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My inaugural smoke of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic today! I dried a pinch of the blend for about a half hour while I shaved and ate. Then I loaded the 307 Peterson -- Sir Walter and the Irish pipe have become my default Saturday morning smoke -- and had almost 30 minutes with it after the true light. I relit and got 5 more minutes, which gave me a bit of throat dryness; I could have skipped that. But I see why so many of you have raved about this blend.

Not sure yet if I prefer it over its older brother; more research is needed.

Yes ... there is no substitute for ample research. ;)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-11.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

32-12.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Granger occasionally ran some particularly smart and informative ads. Here’s an expensive full-page one deftly explaining the superiority of Burley (more correctly, White Burley), why pipe tobacco is uniquely processed and cut, and a lower price by using just a foil pouch (“a man can’t smoke the package”). Smart. Or as German pipe smokers would say … “Clever”.

33-2.1.jpg

Granger occasionally ran some particularly smart and informative ads. Here’s an expensive full-page one deftly explaining the superiority of Burley (more correctly, White Burley), why pipe tobacco is uniquely processed and cut, and a lower price by using just a foil pouch (“a man can’t smoke the package”). Smart. Or as German pipe smokers would say … “Clever”.

View attachment 1253203

This is the first indication I've noticed that the mysterious, never-fully-explained "Wellman Method" predated the introduction of Granger. Does anyone know who Wellman was and what his process entailed? Was it a true innovative tobacco-tweaking breakthrough, or just a slick reference used as a marketing gimmick?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This is the first indication I've noticed that the mysterious, never-fully-explained "Wellman Method" predated the introduction of Granger. Does anyone know who Wellman was and what his process entailed? Was it a true innovative tobacco-tweaking breakthrough, or just a slick reference used as a marketing gimmick?

The Wellman Method is one of those older unsolved mysteries of the tobacco world. By my research, it was not a marketing gimmick. It was a legitimate processing technique that L&M acquired in the 1920s from an earlier tobacco company. And it may have involved an accelerated sweating and fermentation process for the Burley. Others have suggested it was a pressing and moisture control method.

But because it was a proprietary method, not a lot was readily published about the details back in the day. And the intellectual property surrounding Granger has changed hands over the decades since L&M made it. So we may never know all the particulars. I do not know if it still used in the current iteration of Granger.

You are not alone in your curiosity. Seasoned tobacco enthusiasts continue to ask to this day, "What was the Wellman Method?"

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The Wellman Method is one of those older unsolved mysteries of the tobacco world. By my research, it was not a marketing gimmick. It was a legitimate processing technique that L&M acquired in the 1920s from an earlier tobacco company. And it may have involved an accelerated sweating and fermentation process for the Burley. Others have suggested it was a pressing and moisture control method.

But because it was a proprietary method, not a lot was readily published about the details back in the day. And the intellectual property surrounding Granger has changed hands over the decades since L&M made it. So we may never know all the particulars. I do not know if it still used in the current iteration of Granger.

You are not alone in your curiosity. Seasoned tobacco enthusiasts continue to ask to this day, "What was the Wellman Method?"
I believe I’ll have a bowl or three now that you have mentioned it. Looks like a very good front porch day for my Schnauzers and me.

I believe I’ll have a bowl or three now that you have mentioned it. Looks like a very good front porch day for my Schnauzers and me.
I've found that most days are good front porch days. If you have a pipe to enjoy, and faithful dogs for companionship, then it makes it a good front porch day.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've found that most days are good front porch days. If you have a pipe to enjoy, and faithful dogs for companionship, then it makes it a good front porch day.
It really has been and with chatting with friends on the phone and walking my livestock. Absolutely beautiful day! This is the first front porch I’ve had since I was 13 years old and I’m flat out digging it.

I love those old ads!!

“And while it’s perfectly true that women love pipes”... bwahahahahhaha!!!

How can I transport myself to that world?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Union Leader. Another of these now-classic first-decade 20th Century blends. And among the most popular sellers of the golden codger era. And for a singularly obvious reason that they relentlessly hammered. During this period (still under original creator Lorillard, one of the oldest American blenders) it was good, solid Burley, topped with a whiff of maple. Many families have remembrances of Union Leader smokers in them ... dads, granddads and uncles. Later House of Windsor production was reportedly not as good tasting. Sutliff also blended a match version (I have no idea how that tasted).

We’ll see a lot of Union Leader on the coffee table throughout most of the depression era, including many celebrity endorsements and consistent two column ads. A full-court press ... for a ten cent tin. They obviously sold a mountain of Union Leader to justify that effort.

33-2.2.jpg

Top Bottom