What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

48-9-13.2.jpg

Q about a pipe carburetor: Is it essentially a tiny hole in the heel of the pipe, admitting cooler air (which I think would make the leaf burn a little hotter) and permitting heat and smoke to leave? The Zulu w/ carburetor I picked up over Xmas is pretty much that. If I hold the pipe up to a lamp, I can see a pinprick of light. Is there supposed to be some device in that tiny hole?

The pipe smokes as well as any Dublin shape I've ever had.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Q about a pipe carburetor: Is it essentially a tiny hole in the heel of the pipe, admitting cooler air (which I think would make the leaf burn a little hotter) and permitting heat and smoke to leave? The Zulu w/ carburetor I picked up over Xmas is pretty much that. If I hold the pipe up to a lamp, I can see a pinprick of light. Is there supposed to be some device in that tiny hole?

The pipe smokes as well as any Dublin shape I've ever had.

Yes, it's just an added air jet at the bottom of the chamber. It was not so much to allow anything to leave, but to admit additional air. The claimed benefit is a slightly cooler, drier, albeit diluted draw. They were somewhat popular during the mid-Century, alongside the stinger, in primarily American pipes.

I never cared for them. But many others do. If you like yours, that's all that matters.

Yes, it's just an added air jet at the bottom of the chamber. It was not so much to allow anything to leave, but to admit additional air. The claimed benefit is a slightly cooler, drier, albeit diluted draw. They were somewhat popular during the mid-Century, alongside the stinger, in primarily American pipes.

I never cared for them. But many others do. If you like yours, that's all that matters.
When I was smoking the Zulu last week, I noticed that the occasional whiff of smoke emerged from the hole. I didn't know if that was normal or not. The bowl gets no hotter than any other Dublin shape I've tried and the pipe draws just fine.

I spoke too soon. The Zulu does have a little device at the bottom of the chamber; my tamper/scraper bumped against it as I was cleaning the dottle out from this morning's smoke.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

48-9-20.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

48-10-4.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

48-10-11.jpg

Top Bottom