What's new

The Codger Cabin

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Was once my favorite coffee until they changed to a blend.
My father always drank Maxwell House. Even after it went to "Master Blend" It was still Maxwell House. I have no idea why, or if it's any good. I'm not a coffee drinker.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm no coffee snob by any means. We still drink grocery store coffee most days. If we don't have a full pot ready by 7am, something is wrong.

Years ago, Maxwell House was decent coffee (so were Chock Full and Hills Brothers). But today's version of MH is a little too 'grain' tasting for me ... like drinking cereal. We prefer a more winey taste. For many years, we would drink regular old Eight O'Clock. But that has gotten hit or miss in recent years as the owners have shuffled. Right now, we prefer McCafe (when on sale), and Goya.

If it's going to be French press style (which we only make maybe 1-3x a year), then we'll splurge on a fancy pants blend, as the grind has to be much coarser for that kind of brew anyway. A cup of that is equal to about three cups of the usual breakfast brew in flavor and caffeine; not for daily consumption.

Don't ask me about Charbucks.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm no coffee snob by any means. We still drink grocery store coffee most days. If we don't have a full pot ready by 7am, something is wrong.

Years ago, Maxwell House was decent coffee (so were Chock Full and Hills Brothers). But today's version of MH is a little too 'grain' tasting for me ... like drinking cereal. We prefer a more winey taste. For many years, we would drink regular old Eight O'Clock. But that has gotten hit or miss in recent years as the owners have shuffled. Right now, we prefer McCafe (when on sale), and Goya.

If it's going to be French press style (which we only make maybe 1-3x a year), then we'll splurge on a fancy pants blend, as the grind has to be much coarser for that kind of brew anyway. A cup of that is equal to about three cups of the usual breakfast brew in flavor and caffeine; not for daily consumption.

After going through a lot of the same I started roasting my own coffee. I did the math (so it’s probably wrong) and after about a year we started saving money by buying green beans in bulk. It’s another Rabbit hole to fall down but I can roast and grind the beans the way I want them.

Not a daily coffee drinker but started with Maxwell House. When they changed from 100% Arabica to a blend the taste was well, like urine. Switched to Eight O'Clock for a while. Then Dunkin Donuts at the drive thru. Been on Keureg Original Donut Shop Regular for many years now.

My father always drank Maxwell House. Even after it went to "Master Blend" It was still Maxwell House. I have no idea why, or if it's any good. I'm not a coffee drinker.

Was decent, good full flavor, particularly the dark roast. Not a daily coffee drinker though.

Economics is in it for me. Even the grocery store brand of coffee-with-chicory, or Walmart's "French" Roast, runs a bit much for only a 12 oz. packet. I've been buying Cafe El Morro, an espresso-style blend like Cafe Bustelo) from Dollar Tree -- 8 oz. for $1.25. It makes a good drip-type coffee. (They may have reduced it to 6 oz. in the packet; if so, it's not such a bargain.)

Yes, I'm cheap; stipulated. But it is good strong coffee. I've had some bad and weak stuff, and this is good.

Last edited:
This might be a cultural thing but I shudder at the thought of drip/filter coffee.

I mostly use a stove top Bialetti and have a rarely used La Pavoni that really looks fast. For simple and big quantities it’s a French Press.

Coffee is predominantly dark roast Italian blends with a Robusta ratio between 30-50% and a price of 10-20 per 1 kg.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
After going through a lot of the same I started roasting my own coffee. I did the math (so it’s probably wrong) and after about a year we started saving money by buying green beans in bulk. It’s another Rabbit hole to fall down but I can roast and grind the beans the way I want them.
🤮

download.jpg

When I was a kid my folks drank Jewel Tea Coffee. Jewel Tea was a route sales system kind of like Schwans without the frozen foods. My mom and the Jewel Tea man had worked together at the USDA in the 1950s but by the early '60s he had the Jewel Tea route in our area. I never tasted it and when the guy left Jewel my folks quit buying it. The coffee I remember drinking first was a locally (well, Roanoke) roasted coffee from Woods Bros - H&C. It was incredibly good. I had my folks send it to me when I was away at college because it wasn't available where I went to school. It went through a rough patch in the 80s and 90s due to a couple of catastrophic floods, but it's still around. I haven't had it in years but this conversation prompted me to see if they are still around and lo and behold they are! I'll have to order some.

They have an iconic neon sign that shone brightly at night from atop a Roanoke office building - it's been restored:

3345539130_85b9d8e26b_c.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
There’s a certain age group of southern ladies that felt that all green beans had to be cooked in a pressure cooker. Both when canning and when eating fresh. The canning does require a pressure cooker due to home canned green beans being the largest contributor to Botulism toxicity. I grew up thinking that all green beans were mushy because all the green beans I had ever eaten had been pressure cooked.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
This might be a cultural thing but I shudder at the thought of drip/filter coffee.

I mostly use a stove top Bialetti and have a rarely used La Pavoni that really looks fast. For simple and big quantities it’s a French Press.

Coffee is predominantly dark roast Italian blends with a Robusta ratio between 30-50% and a price of 10-20 per 1 kg.
Completely different style of coffee drinking. In the U.S. people drink coffee like water. It is literally what fuels an awful lot of people just to get through their day. They are not drinking it for enjoyment at all,they just want the buzz and they don't want or cannot put in the time that alternate brewing methods require. The Keurig is hugely popular and I don't see how it's any better than instant coffee.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

A PA Saturday.

48-8-23.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

48-9-6.jpg

Top Bottom