What's new

The cheapskate shave thread

I'm looking forward to my cheapskate shave using the classic orange BIC disposable razor and Barbasol goo. It's a classic setup for sure and I don't care how mediocre the shave is gonna be. It's all about having fun. I'm gonna let you know how it went tonight. In the meantime, feel free to post your cheapskate shave.

Challenges were for DE‘s, carts and disposables are mostly for traveling.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A Bic orange is a fantastic razor in my opinion, and Barbasol is also pretty good stuff. I use that combination occasionally and get every bit as good a shave as with any razor, soap, and brush I own; it is technique that matter most I think. All that said, I much prefer my regular vintage kit. Enjoy your shave 👍

Here is how you win at this.
Turkey.

Turkish boar brush. $1
Yuma razor. $0.35c
Derby blades (5). $1
Arko stick. $1
Kolonya. $1
Arko cream if you need it.

Brucie bonus: Septic Sticks and a shaving bowl. $1

Would cost you about $5 in Turkey.

Obv. You need to go on holiday there (ignoring the ebay price gougers) but, not only is it probably the cheapest shaving kit on the planet, but its also up there with the best.

You will struggle to find better performance.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here is how you win at this.
Turkey.

Turkish boar brush. $1
Yuma razor. $0.35c
Derby blades (5). $1
Arko stick. $1
Kolonya. $1
Arko cream if you need it.

Brucie bonus: Septic Sticks and a shaving bowl. $1

Would cost you about $5 in Turkey.

Obv. You need to go on holiday there (ignoring the ebay price gougers) but, not only is it probably the cheapest shaving kit on the planet, but its also up there with the best.

You will struggle to find better performance.
Looks good but I will give the septic stick a miss 👍

For Long Term Cheapskate shave:
Water Pre-Shave
My Gillette Slim bought 60 years ago for $1.95
100 Astra SP blades $9.50 lasts 1 year
Omega Boar shave brush $10- $15
Arko stick (bowl pressed) lasts about 1 month or Dial Mens shave soap orange

A Bic orange is a fantastic razor in my opinion, and Barbasol is also pretty good stuff. I use that combination occasionally and get every bit as good a shave as with any razor, soap, and brush I own; it is technique that matter most I think. All that said, I much prefer my regular vintage kit. Enjoy your shave 👍
True. My B 'n B (BIC n' Barbasol) shave went better than I expected. Sure, I had to work a bit more on my trouble spots and gave up on a few hairs, but it was definitely a clean shave. Tomorrow I'm gonna use a shaving cream instead to see how much better the BIC can perform. Maybe as good as the BIC Metal.

Can't fault you ☺️I have used a in the past a two blade disposable from Lidl and Palmolive gel from a can, around £3 for the shave.

Did another shave, this time I whipped up some Arko Ice shaving cream and the shave went even better. I got a bbs shave and even cleaned up my problem spots. The BIC felt like a mid aggressive safety razor. I was really impressed. I bought a pack of 20 years ago but back then I wasn't happy with the results. I don't know what I'm doing differently now. But it proves that you should always give a razor or other shaving gear another try.

I guess my el-cheapo shave would be:

Any of my vintage Gillette razors ($6)
Really, any DE blade ($.10)
A puck of William's Mug soap ($1.50)
Omega boar brush ($9)
Avon Spicy AS ($2)

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling DE razor (Tech head w/ plastic handle) approx. $6.00
Super Max Platinum $0.04 each
Barbasol ($1.79)

I shaved this way for the entire month of June. Not bad at all!

Did another shave, this time I whipped up some Arko Ice shaving cream and the shave went even better. I got a bbs shave and even cleaned up my problem spots. The BIC felt like a mid aggressive safety razor. I was really impressed. I bought a pack of 20 years ago but back then I wasn't happy with the results. I don't know what I'm doing differently now. But it proves that you should always give a razor or other shaving gear another try.
BIC Orange and some Arko is my air travel setup and I find that it works very well. :thumbup1:

BIC Orange and some Arko is my air travel setup and I find that it works very well. :thumbup1:
If you ever get your hands on a Bic Metal, try it. Works like a fine SE and lasts many shaves.

36B490F1-A90F-46FD-849B-D66E0B3FE80A.jpeg

5451A624-6EF4-41EA-88FE-13D0FDCEB6BF.jpeg

If you ever get your hands on a Bic Metal, try it. Works like a fine SE and lasts many shaves.

View attachment 1636903

View attachment 1636908
I have not tried the BIC Metal, but I have heard many good things about it. I have it in my A wish list, but have not gotten any. I do want to try them though. However, one of my objectives for my travel kit is also to get things that are easily and readily available anywhere. I have found that I can get a BIC orange at the closest gas station and a can of barbasol or similar and have a decent shave. That is probably the reason why I have not tried them yet.

When it comes to cheap shaving we mostly talk about our cheap disposables or cheap blades that we use, but what I find is that the soap, foam, goo or whatever we choose to use while shaving can many times be the driving cost per shave. Myself being an ARKO guy I am pretty cheap to start with. Are there any even cheaper alternatives per shave without going too far into bath soap land?

Top Bottom