What's new

The Case for Cream

When I started on the forum I was a staunch soap guy. Preferably triple milled. The harder the better. In my eyes this was the traditional choice and as far removed from the canned goo, I was used to, as you could get.

As time goes by and traditional shaving becomes more routine, I find myself turning more and more to creams. I find creams to have a number of advantages.

1. Easy to scoop and load into a lather bowl
2. No loading time
3. Quick lather
4. Less stuff hanging around the sink
5. Easy on brushes
6. Cleaner. Just scoop and close. No need to dry the soap or clean the tub.
9. Easy to dose the amount each time for consistent results

All of that with no trade off in performance or scent. It’s a no brainer. I’m thinking of switching completely. Ok I’ll probably keep my beloved SV and Tabac for relaxed weekend shaves but the den’s definitely heading more towards creams.

My favorite so far are below but I’m open to trying more.

- Castle Forbes
- Speik
- Acqua di Parma
- Santa Maria Novella

Any other cream guys out there?
Any good creams that I’m missing out on?

When I started traditional wet shaving I used a hard soap, Old Spice to be exact. (I'm an old guy). After being on B&B for awhile I tried other types of soap. I like creams mainly because they are quick to make lather.
The last couple of years I have been using creams more. Although shave sticks are my favorite method, creams now come in second.
My favorite is Erasmic followed by La Toja. Two great creams.

Erasmic_WD.JPG
La Toja.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I must admit I do prefer creams over soaps. My ultimate aim is to use up my soaps and when I retire use creams in my Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl. The trouble is I have about 10 years until I retire provided that I get there.

I must admit I do prefer creams over soaps. My ultimate aim is to use up my soaps and when I retire use creams in my Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl. The trouble is I have about 10 years until I retire provided that I get there.
Sometimes you need to cut your losses. I have a few nearly finished soaps that will likely get sacrificed as part of this transition. Life’s too short to ‘have to’ use things up. It takes too long and there’s not much fun in it.

I’m really new to this but in my brief,limited experience my EJ cream made a thicker richer lather than the Proraso white soap I’m using now. I like the Proraso white line (insert coke joke) so I’ll probably buy the cream sooner than later.

TOBS creams and DRH are both great performers! TOBS has better scents imo but DRH has somewhat better performance. My recommendations are TOBS Aloe Vera, Rose, Cedarwood, Grapefruit and maybe Peppermint if you like mentholated stuff. DRH Windsor and Sandalwood are the only ones I'd recommend properly from the DRH line-up but your tastes might vary. The Jack Black shave cream is also pretty good if you're partial to that brand, though its a bit pricey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tend to prefer soaps, as the lather tends to suit me better, but I do have a soft spot (pardon the pun) for St James of London and Erasmic.

TOBS Aloe Vera, St. James, Proraso Blue

I, too, have come around on creams after being a soap guy exclusively for a long time, for many of the reasons you listed.

I started with creams, and recently started exploring soaps.

I like both.

I disagree that creams lather better, and only slightly quicker. Recent purchases of McC and DRH, have both revealed how a brush can “explode with lather” for me.

But certain creams will always be in my lineup:
Proraso Green
Proraso Wood & Spice
Proraso Cypress & Vetyver
Ach Brito Mogno (although I do plan to try the soap. Some say its wonderful scent is stronger with the soap...)
Cella EEB
Speick

I always love to have a Proraso (Green) shave from soup to nuts every ten days or so. Preshave, cream and aftershave. Not at the top performance wise but the scent and cooling of the ingredients I find very refreshing.

There have been some substitutions in the den. Mikes and Wholly Kaw are out. Santa Maria Novella and Baume are in. Heads are rolling.

I used the SMN this morning and it was fantastic. A slick, dense and stable lather was quickly and easily created from a tiny amount of product. SMN will take as much water as you can throw at it with a wide workable hydration window. The scent was much nicer than I remember from the sample. With just a touch of cool this is a perfect cream for summer.

I've recently made the switch from soaps to creams. I agree with all the benefits you listed. To date, I've only tried the Proraso line up of creams. I look forward to trying Speik, La Toja, and TOBS.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like both but lean more toward soaps currently. My favourite creams so far.....
Ach Brito Lavanda
Lea (super menthol)
Musgo
GFT
L’Occitane Cade (growing on me)
TOBS Royal Forest

Top Bottom