Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L in Manchurian badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Lone Star
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20230407_074756.jpg

Today was my first shave with a full tub of Barbershop. I fell in love with this scent after using a sample last Spring/Summer and made myself wait until my other samples were used up before buying a full tub.

I took my good Blue Tip out of the display cabinet for the occasion.

Good times were had.

Except when my wedding ring clinked against that blue and my heart skipped 3 1/2 beats.... better put her back in the display case.

1685414079709.png

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

May I join?

How did I do? I got this for $16. I had to adjust an end cap due to a lazy door. Looks like the only plating loss in on the edges of the guards. The handle has some scuffs and definitely shows wear but I think that adds character. Might shoot a message to Black Roads Gold about sending it after his leave to replate the top in nickel and the knob in gold 😬

It shaved beautifully today with a fresh Gillette London Bridge.

View attachment 1718328
View attachment 1718329
View attachment 1718330
View attachment 1718331
View attachment 1718332
View attachment 1718333
May I join?

How did I do? I got this for $16. I had to adjust an end cap due to a lazy door. Looks like the only plating loss in on the edges of the guards. The handle has some scuffs and definitely shows wear but I think that adds character. Might shoot a message to Black Roads Gold about sending it after his leave to replate the top in nickel and the knob in gold 😬

Wow, great score and great razor!

View attachment 1718328
View attachment 1718329
View attachment 1718330
View attachment 1718331
View attachment 1718332
View attachment 1718333
May I join?

Nice score!
I buy every Blue Tip I find antiquing under $20. Can't help myself.

Enjoy it!!

Today I discovered this English Blue Tip Super-Speed that used to belong to my grandfather. It was in a travel kit, which despite being rather dirty and smelly, the Blue Tip is in pretty good condition, I don't think it was used much. No date as it's English, but it had an E2 (1959?) marked blade in it. It cleaned up nicely, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

Today I discovered this English Blue Tip Super-Speed that used to belong to my grandfather. It was in a travel kit, which despite being rather dirty and smelly, the Blue Tip is in pretty good condition, I don't think it was used much. No date as it's English, but it had an E2 (1959?) marked blade in it. It cleaned up nicely, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

View attachment 1751776
View attachment 1751777
View attachment 1751778
That's fantastic that you found your grandfather's shaving kit! That Blue Tip looks like it held up well as it should since it was probably last used in 1959. Enjoy your shaves with it!

That's fantastic that you found your grandfather's shaving kit! That Blue Tip looks like it held up well as it should since it was probably last used in 1959. Enjoy your shaves with it!
Thanks! He never was a wet shaver in my lifetime, always electric, so perhaps he got his first electric shaver in 1960, I can only guess. I also have an English Flat Bottom Tech in it's case that was his as wellm I'm interested to see how the Super-Speed compares to it.

IMG_1636.JPG

Razor: English Gillette Blue Tip Super-Speed
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2nd use)
Brush: Omega 10810 Boar
Bowl: Vintage Mexican Aluminium
Pre/postshave: Proraso Green
Cream: Palmolive Classic
Aftershave: Malizia Uomo Vetyver

First time using my grandfather's (Puppa to me) Blue Tip Super-Speed that I cleaned up yesterday, and I can say it's a joy to use. The Astra SP performed well, and looking forward to trying it with a BIC Chrome Platinum. I will have to come up with some more blue products, it was a very green day today.

Top Bottom