What's new

The Brotherhood of the Blue Tip

I am pleased to announce the inauguration of a fraternity finally honoring one of Gillette's most heretofore unheralded razors: the venerable Blue-Tip Superspeed. This mild but effective razor is unique not only for its characteristic blue tip, but also for its lightweight aluminum handle, providing effective but easy shaves for thousands of men. And while we've heard plenty about the Red Tip, the Blue Tip has played second fiddle. We say, no more!

if you have a Blue Tip in your arsenal, you're invited to join. And certainly owners of the rare English Blue Tip Rocket are welcome here too. I have been made the de facto president, simply because of this...

View attachment 557842

And as as my first act, I nominate dionesius3 as vice-president, not only for conceiving the idea of the Brotherhood, but also for singing the praises of the Blue Tip with such gusto.

So, Blue Tippers, feel free to join us in our quest for the ultimate in mild, smooth shaves!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Welcome to the BBT, Rasputin! I like a sharp blade (line a GSB) in my blue tip as well, but I haven't tried a Feather in a long while...perhaps it's time I should.

Although, considering your username, it's suprising you don't use a Russian blade. :laugh:

Good Morning men! This morning, afer reading the starter thread in the Double Edged Razors section, I decided to take my Blue Tip for a spin. I'm glad I did. I pulled off a two pass BBS with that razor, and I'm again impressed with it. The Blue Tip is a fine shave tool. I have great success with it, even though I am more accustomed to more aggressive razors. Here is a photo of my favorite Blue Tip, it is what I just shaved with-$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426670662.023009.jpg
It is good to see that this razor is finally getting some well deserved recognition. Have a great day men!

Great looking Blue Tip, Alan! Welcome to the Brotherhood!

It's good to see that someone who typically uses more aggressive razors can appreciate the Blue Tip too.

Screetch8710...I regard you as a founding father of the Brotherhood! Welcome aboard.

And what do you gentlemen think we should use for our sig line? How about BOBT?

I'm in here's my collection of Blue Tips.
Bottom razor in photo Made in USA 1955, The cased one and the middle razor in photo are Made in England.

proxy.php

Last edited:
VERY nice, Brian. I don't have any English blue tips in my collection. Great stuff.

And welcome to the Brotherhood!

Screetch8710...I regard you as a founding father of the Brotherhood! Welcome aboard.

Thank you for considering me as such.

As for the sig line, I think both "Brotherhood of the Blue Tip" and "BOBT" should be acceptable. Dionesius also had the idea of a day of the week/month that would be our Blue-Tip Day, shall we have our day?

Thank you for considering me as such.

As for the sig line, I think both "Brotherhood of the Blue Tip" and "BOBT" should be acceptable. Dionesius also had the idea of a day of the week/month that would be our Blue-Tip Day, shall we have our day?

I agree on the sig line. And I guess we'd just have to have "Blue Mondays"!

Brian,

This may be a ridiculous question, but is there a noticeable difference between the British- and U.S.- made blue-tips?

The only difference I can see is the end caps. The English ones are a pointed shape and actually are part of the razor end rather than being a separate soldered on cap.
They shave the same as far as I can tell. The Blue tip Rocket is the more rare variety, and one that's escaped me so far :detective:

proxy.php

Last edited:
The only difference I can see is the end caps. The English ones are a pointed shape and actually are part of the razor end rather than being a separate soldered on cap.
They shave the same as far as I can tell. The Blue tip Rocket is the more rare variety one that's escaped me so far :detective:

So the British made a slightly more sturdy razor?

I wonder if the rocket performs differently.

So the British made a slightly more sturdy razor?

I wonder if the rocket performs differently.

It's got less parts with no separate end caps so they can't be knocked off.. No real difference in quality I would say.
I'm guessing the Rocket would shave the same, it's just the way the blue knob's made and set up.
I've put a photo up now to show the difference in the endcaps.

Interesting about the endcaps. Just last month, I had to re-attatch an endcap on my daily driver, a 1955, with marine epoxy. Still, I have to give the solder respect for holding on for 60 years...

I assumed it would be BBT, was that a bad assumption?
Seems either one would work, whichever you prefer I will adjust my signature accordingly.

Top Bottom