What's new

The Broken Shoelace

So this morning, as I'm leaving for work, one of the worst ways to start my day happens. That's right, I tug on the laces of my steal toed boots, only to have the lace pull apart. :( Just wondering if anyone has any advice/solutions for this phenomenon. Shoe laces are cheap, so I guess I should just try to keep a spare pair around. But if anyone has any tricks, I'd love to hear it. :)

strop

Now half as wise
I've gone weeks with a lace just tied together with a square knot!

I try to keep at least one spare for every lace in all my shoes in my dresser drawer. When I buy laces I buy them by the handful so I never run short.

This happens to me frequently ... and it always snaps in the same place each time, one of the eyelets on my right boot has a sharp edge.

There are 8 or 9 eyelets on the shoe, so I remove the remainder of the lace, and rework it so that the bottom 2 eyelets are unlaced, and I tie my shoes at the top. This holds for another couple of weeks until I can get replacements. And incidently, leaving those bottom eyelets untightened makes the shoe a little more comfortable, as well.

BTW, if yours are RedWings and you purchased them at a company-owned store, they will give you free laces for life. They also take care of routine maintenance like cleanings, waterproofing and polishing, for life.

This happens to me frequently ... and it always snaps in the same place each time, one of the eyelets on my right boot has a sharp edge.

There are 8 or 9 eyelets on the shoe, so I remove the remainder of the lace, and rework it so that the bottom 2 eyelets are unlaced, and I tie my shoes at the top. This holds for another couple of weeks until I can get replacements. And incidently, leaving those bottom eyelets untightened makes the shoe a little more comfortable, as well.

BTW, if yours are RedWings and you purchased them at a company-owned store, they will give you free laces for life. They also take care of routine maintenance like cleanings, waterproofing and polishing, for life.

I too frequently break laces on any shoe with metal eyelets. SWMBO tells me it's because I tie my shoes too tight. As others have said, I think it's just part of the deal. Good idea about relacing to eliminate the bottom laces, I'll remember that if I'm ever really in a bind. Unfortunately, these boots aren't Red Wings (they're Invictas). But, I do plan on checking out the Red Wings once these wear out/I can get new ones with some re-imbursement from the company. Thanks for the tip on that. It's another feather in the cap for them, so to speak.

Top Bottom