What's new

The B&B December Derby

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For the B&B December Derby, I'm looking at two races held concurrently. One will be for Derby soap/cream and the other for blades. You can also enter the monthly double, using both blades and soap/cream.

All winners will be allowed to wear a Derby hat whenever they are on B&B during 2022. Monthly double winners will also be permitted to wear their Derby hat whenever they are shaving.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Derby Premium used this morning!

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (brushless, applied by hand - pump)
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy
Brush: Maggards synthetic
Razor: Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Witch Hazel & Aloe (Black Ice Licorice scent) - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stephan Bay Rum splash

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've got 95 Derby Premium collecting dust. Might as well give this a go. I'd like to know how well these blades pair with the Blackland Dart and Henson TI +++. I'll start tomorrow.

With the crazy work schedule tonight was the first shave of December Derby and Decemboar.
Preshave: Cremo daily face wash.
Razor: Merkur 34c
Brush: Boreal
Blade: Derby Premium (1)
Soap: Derby Premium
Follow up: Pinaud Clubman
My word... this soap is slicker than I thought possible. Excellent hydration and slickness. Scent is mild and not unpleasant. Definitely living up to the wording on the package. I'm happy that this event has given me a reason to try it.
I loaded off the puck and face lathered.
3 pass shave WTG, XTG, and ATG.
Amazing shave!
PXL_20211203_025127089.jpg
PXL_20211203_014937765.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20211203_015208710.jpg
PXL_20211203_015216232.jpg
PXL_20211203_020322333.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Tonights shave...

Preshave: Proraso red
Razor: Blackland Dart machind
Blade: Derby Premium #1
Brush: Mühle Vivo black fiber v2
Soap: TTFFC Through the Fire
Aftershave: TTFFC Through the Fire

The blade feels very thin and flimsy, compared to other blades I've used recenly, such as Kai. Got a good nick under my nose. Maybe my 2nd nick that didn't stop bleeding on it's own before the end of the shave. Otherwise I achieved a good shave. Definately categorizing the Derby Premium as a "Nacet appreciation" blade.

I haven't posted any SOTDs in a while, but all of my shaves in December will be with a Derby premium blade :biggrin1:

Bought a 100 pack of Derby premiums early on, but they quickly fell out of favor after discovering the feather hi-stainless. Premiums still give me a relatively comfortable shave 👍

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Derby Premium (3) - December Derby
  • Stirling Orange Chill + Omega Eucalyptus
  • Vintage Fuller Boar (thin and floppy) - Decemboar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
The Derby seems to have smoothed out. This was the third shave; the first was a bit bloody, the second less so and today's was without incident other than a tiny nick. I'm using the Derby for the December Derby and it's a good reminder of why I like Nacet blades. I think the Nacet is a bit thicker, so it's clamped more firmly, so it doesn't flex, so it doesn't catch, so it doesn't open me up. Other blades like GSB, Wilkinson and Personna just shred me, no matter the razor, but Nacet is always safe and efficient...for me.

Onward!

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've been using the Derby Premium with Blackland Dart and Henson TI +++ and so far I like the results. Shaves 1-4 were close and smooth, 5 not so much.

Definitely falling behind on posting and on shaves with work being a bit crazy in the last 2 weeks. Last 2 shaves with 3 days growth have been with Derby Premium blades in a Merkur 34C using Derby Premium soap and an Omega 10098 which was amazing right out of the box with plenty of split ends. Amazing 3 pass shave.
PXL_20211207_030443496.jpg
PXL_20211207_022839952.jpgPXL_20211207_022757089.jpg

Definitely falling behind on posting and on shaves with work being a bit crazy in the last 2 weeks. Last 2 shaves with 3 days growth have been with Derby Premium blades in a Merkur 34C using Derby Premium soap and an Omega 10098 which was amazing right out of the box with plenty of split ends. Amazing 3 pass shave.View attachment 1377072View attachment 1377071View attachment 1377070
Just wondering as I have only seen derby shave sticks and the green derby shaving bowl ….if you have used it how would you compare it with the black tub …the soap itself even looks different …

Just wondering as I have only seen derby shave sticks and the green derby shaving bowl ….if you have used it how would you compare it with the black tub …the soap itself even looks different …
Either fortunately or unfortunately the tub of Derby Premium was the only one in stock when I went looking. I was planning on ordering a shave stick or one of the standard tubs at the same time.... The shave sticks seem to be on a shipping hiatus and the standard tub just recently showed up as available again. So I'm going to be ordering one that should arrive before the end of this event so I can compare.

Still going. Not a lot of shaves in the month - 15 so far - but all with a single Derby blade. It won't supplant Nacet as my favorite, but it's a whole lot better (for me) than a GSB or Wilkinson Sword.

Since today is 12/30 and tomorrow is a 24 hour shift at work on the boo boo bus 🚑 tonight's shave will be the last for this month. It was shave #10 for the month, some every other day and the longest stretch being 5 days between which required me utilizing the ATT Windsor with the SSH plate to mow through it using a Derby Premium blade on shave #4 on this Tuesday.
Tonight's shave was with the ATT Windsor SSR plate.
Derby Premium blade (#5)
Boreal boar bristle brush, fantastic face lather.
Derby Premium shave soap
Finished up with Nivea sensitive shave balm.
Great shave overall, 2 pass shave, one nick in a known trouble spot but, all good with the alum block.
PXL_20211231_010513209.jpg
PXL_20211231_010555273.jpg
PXL_20211231_010655530.jpg
PXL_20211231_010832351.jpg
PXL_20211231_011902875.jpg

I look forward to next year's December Derby event.

Top Bottom