What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Thank you all for your nice comments, the truth is that I too have a passion for the vintage razor club and it's very nice to see people with the same passion.
For the blades now that they had the lather catcher at the time, I am very lucky since when I bought the first generation kindal it had all 7 knives in perfect condition literally, I went through the motions and at some point I will report to you if I finally succeeded.

Lather Catcher Sunday, first Sunday of the month.

20230805_101301.jpg

Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Lather Catcher Sunday, first Sunday of the month.

View attachment 1698156
Razor: VIC Lather Catcher
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Apsley
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
First time I see this lather catcher, really beautiful!

I did a one day's growth shave with my ever ready 1907. Shave was successful but I had another bad gem blue star blade right out of the dispenser. The shave was kind of rough. I suspect the whole dispenser is bad. I am done with carbon steel blades paying $5 plus for a pack of 10 locally that are bad. I am ordering a full pack of 100 PFE coated stainless blades.
20230820_100815.jpg

20230820_102956.jpg
20230820_103007.jpg

Attachments

• 20230820_102816.jpg
    20230820_102816.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 5
I did a one day's growth shave with my ever ready 1907. Shave was successful but I had another bad gem blue star blade right out of the dispenser. The shave was kind of rough. I suspect the whole dispenser is bad. I am done with carbon steel blades paying $5 plus for a pack of 10 locally that are bad. I am ordering a full pack of 100 PFE coated stainless blades.
View attachment 1705113
View attachment 1705122
View attachment 1705125
Smart approach. I never got along with carbon steel blades. I went with a 100 pack of the Gem Personna stainless steel blades and always got great shaves with them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1705113
View attachment 1705122
View attachment 1705125
The Gem PTFE are excellent, very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
I have had good service with Connaught shaving UK, they ship cheaply to Canada and take about 2 weeks to arrive in my mail box.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, August 21st 2023. "MicroMatic monday" thread, any ASR razor that uses a Gem blade any day of the week is welcomed!

Razor : Star bar #4 lather catcher, Mfg -1919-20, tame mid range, built to last generations with a little care. This razor is a ideal razor for my beard and skin. I have a lot of razors and it would be top 2 of 60 razors for performance and final results with a fresh blade. Every time I start a new blade this razor is pulled from the rack and the first 1-3 shaves are stellar IMO. Had a excellent stellar close shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, excellent masculine scented soap of lavender + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi" Bali" 24 mm 3 band silvertip, excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + greatl lather painter. If a person likes a large bloom knot(chubby size) + something different it is hard to beat this brush for performance.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda cologne AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545 1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: When you have great software and Hardware shaving products with a seasoned technique style it will reward a person with stellar shaves. Had a very enjoyable stellar shave this morning with a fresh Gem blade. (It does not get much better shaving for myself.)
SOTD August 21 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

The Gem PTFE are excellent, very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
I have had good service with Connaught shaving UK, they ship cheaply to Canada and take about 2 weeks to arrive in my mail box.
Have some great shaves!

I've also been very happy with Connaught shaving.

Blades came in the mail today, I definitely see the value in ordering gem blades in bulk.

Beyond the lower cost and increased longevity, the convenience.

Properly prepping a Blue Star to wait for my next shave: unload blade, dry it, store in a dry spot out of the den (not back in the razor).

SS PTFE: rinse, shake, store assembled razor and blade

Top Bottom