What's new

The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC

Looks a lot like my Burham razors (OC and SB versions). Same type of blade retention. I like the Burham's simplicity, and I can get a decent shave with it.
For a mild razor I get good shaves from it. If you can get good shaves from a flat top razor aka a micromatic bullet tip or up Gem then you'll get good shaves out this one also. If it had a little more blade exposure the shaves would be better so maybe putting a backer behind the blade might improve the performance.

I like this razor also because of the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) aspect.

what part of the razor is applying pressure or holding the blade? doesnt look like there are "moveable" parts on this?

camo
There aren't any movable parts that tab is just bent over. As long as that doesn't get deformed it is tight enough to keep the blade from shifting left to right. Because of the way you shave the blade will automatically press against the back most bend and stay there.

For anyone not familiar, the ASR cut out design lather catcher was made by the Ever Ready division of the American Safety Razor Company and produced in 1907. How many subsequent years it was produced I don't know but I don't think this razor was produced more than 2 years. I have the case and some original blades for it. I'll put up some pictures later on of both.

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures of the razor and set for the Ever Ready 1907 ASR lather catcher.
er073.jpger072.jpger071.jpger07b.jpger07a.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday Mar 30th 2020, Good morning all. I had to take my Gem jr bar out of the rack for a great shave. The performance of the razor is to my liking for the simple reason it gives me a great shave. I very rarely get cuts with no irritation and no weepers as a rule of thumb and my skin enjoys the results. What is there not to like!

Razor : Gem junior bar - MFG 1907- excellent razor for a daily driver.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
Soap: Taylor of old bond street Sandal wood. One of my favorite scented soaps.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic with black marble handle. Excellent brush!
Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Prorazo red Sandal wood with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave today!

MMMonday March 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
I once in a while leave information on Gem razors that folks who bought used razors and want to know proper use.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
1896 HR 7A?

camo
Yep, that's what Mr. Waits (of Waits Compendium) calls it. I have the 7A as well, but I can't recall if it as blade stops or not. My oldest is the 2A and I have 6 others....some have blade stops, some do not. With blade stops you can use a modern GEM blade, without them you can use a honed wedge blade or try a blade adapter. I've had mixed luck with the blade adapters (and with honing my own wedge blades). It's been ages since I've used one of Kampfe Bros Stars -- I'll dig one out and use it before long. Yours looks to be in really nice shape with the plating intact.

Yep, that's what Mr. Waits (of Waits Compendium) calls it. I have the 7A as well, but I can't recall if it as blade stops or not. My oldest is the 2A and I have 6 others....some have blade stops, some do not. With blade stops you can use a modern GEM blade, without them you can use a honed wedge blade or try a blade adapter. I've had mixed luck with the blade adapters (and with honing my own wedge blades). It's been ages since I've used one of Kampfe Bros Stars -- I'll dig one out and use it before long. Yours looks to be in really nice shape with the plating intact.

thanks......no blade stops on this one according to sources I've looked up.

thought I might have to do the double spine and tape trick.

saw nice 3d print adapters........wish someplace sold these outright.

having a person look for possible printing companies in bigger cities.......but right now might not be the proper time to get this accomplished.

camo

Flintstone65

thanks......no blade stops on this one according to sources I've looked up.

thought I might have to do the double spine and tape trick.

saw nice 3d print adapters........wish someplace sold these outright.

having a person look for possible printing companies in bigger cities.......but right now might not be the proper time to get this accomplished.

camo
I purchased these (if I recall correctly, 3 adapters were included). They work okay in some of my wedge razors, but probably need to be tailored (i.e., using some sand paper) for some of them. Here they are: Adapters to turn Modern Gem Blade into a Wedge Blade

a little fill work with one day drying.........then paint and lacquer.

going green for this I think.

im more than happy with the results. will have to bore a larger hole in my rack.

20200404_132417.jpg

handle is 2 5/8 inch long.

maybe I'll get lucky and frugal shave doesnt have a lot if orders right now.......and I get the ordered wedge adapter sooner!!!!

camo

my typical Sunday shave.

1907 GEM Jr. Bar Latcher Catcher
Pella/Personna GEM (2)
D.R. Harris Marlborough
Rubberset S1 brush (restored)
Floris Scuttle
Lather and Wood Sandalwood Balm

20200405_101054.jpg

awesome shave this morn. 1st shave with my new bar LC (have two now). this one shaves a little tighter and better than my first one. I would have not thought so, but there are differences.

be well brethren of the blade.

camo

Flintstone65

my typical Sunday shave.

1907 GEM Jr. Bar Latcher Catcher
Pella/Personna GEM (2)
D.R. Harris Marlborough
Rubberset S1 brush (restored)
Floris Scuttle
Lather and Wood Sandalwood Balm

20200405_101054.jpg

awesome shave this morn. 1st shave with my new bar LC (have two now). this one shaves a little tighter and better than my first one. I would have not thought so, but there are differences.

be well brethren of the blade.

camo
I have more than one Gem JR Bar and find the same thing with them. I guess it’s to be expected of items that are 100+ years old. Basically if the swing bar is nice and tight, then I get a better shave than when the bar is loose. That’s also the reason (I think) that I prefer the Gem Bars razors to the Ever Ready LC’s....the ER’s just have a back blade clip, and while it seems to hold the blade in place, I feel like the Gem Bar does a better job. Just my 2-cent theory. I still can’t stop myself from picking up more and different Lather Catchers, the designs and shaves are all beautiful and varied, at least to me.

I have more than one Gem JR Bar and find the same thing with them. I guess it’s to be expected of items that are 100+ years old. Basically if the swing bar is nice and tight, then I get a better shave than when the bar is loose. That’s also the reason (I think) that I prefer the Gem Bars razors to the Ever Ready LC’s....the ER’s just have a back blade clip, and while it seems to hold the blade in place, I feel like the Gem Bar does a better job. Just my 2-cent theory. I still can’t stop myself from picking up more and different Lather Catchers, the designs and shaves are all beautiful and varied, at least to me.

out of the 3 I bought recently I thought the last one was going to be a fancy paperweight.....the tension was shot on both the bar and retaining clip. I just figured out how to adjust both.

it is now the tightest out of all the ones I own.

camo

Flintstone65

out of the 3 I bought recently I thought the last one was going to be a fancy paperweight.....the tension was shot on both the bar and retaining clip. I just figured out how to adjust both.

it is now the tightest out of all the ones I own.

camo
How'd did you adjust/tighten it up?

I'd probably have to make a pic to fully explain.

take bar off.

one small nail diagonally underneath right spring. outward right moving inward left. apply light pressure to spring at the end (where L hook is) toward the rear bending it slightly.

20200405_160833.jpg

repeat same but with opposite angles for left side.

place bar back on over posts. check tension.

center spring took me a while to figure out.

two nails......one on each side running from bar edge diagonally down to center spring (behind it) or underneath center spring.

on this pic the nails are barely in there for demonstration purposes. the more downward toward the center you can get them the better. there will be tension against the nails when hand forcing them in there.

20200405_161204.jpg

make sure retainer clip is in closed or tension position.

lay razor down on something soft to not damage finish. take screwdriver or delrin punch and place at the very top of center spring. lightly tap a couple of times.

remove nails.

check your tension on retainer clip.

this is what I did. took me a while to figure out where to place nails or "leverage" points.

edited......added pics. a delrin punch would be best. I used a screw driver with taped end cause I honestly thought this one would be lost to Davy jones locker. exact size of nail used in photo......actual razor that is now functional.

disclaimer: I assume no liability, loss, or damages from persons attempting this technique. proceed at user risk.

lol

camo

Last edited:
now just have to figure out what year this one is. not much going on on the back end.

I think earlier than the fancy engraved bar???

20200405_162305.jpg

camo

Top Bottom