What's new

The 1951 Black Tip Super Speed Date Codes W2 and W3 with Differences

By the early 1950’s, design queues in general were pointing towards a trending modernization from pre-World War II Art Deco constraints, as America was riding a large economic wave of prosperity following the largest wartime industrial mobilization in history. Gillette’s response was tepid at best, as their Super Speed razor was already popular, and provided a large portion of revenue for the company. The initial design change of the already venerable Super Speed was heralded by the introduction of the black plastic tipped 1951 model, representing a cost reduction for Gillette and the first use of a plastic, twist-to-open knob at the end of the razor handle, styled similarly to its nickel plated brass predecessor. Consumers were skeptical, but still viewed this as an innovative and stylish use of this relatively new material. In actuality, escalation of the United State’s involvement in the Korean conflict, following the battle of the Pusan Perimeter in 1950, rapidly depleted any brass reserves necessary for Gillette razor production, as brass was used for both large and small arms, as well as artillery shell casings. Handles were available in nickel plated steel for a heftier feel; aluminum handles were also an available replacement, and marketed for those wanting a lighter razor. The styrene case was redesigned from the 1949 version, and the razor promoted on radio and television, along with traditional newspaper, magazine, and point-of-purchase advertising. Pictured below is a 1951 W2 nickel plated steel handled Black Tip Super Speed, a W3 aluminum handled model, and the redesigned case appearing with their introduction. Black Tip Super Speed razors were manufactured for only two years by Gillette, which resumed full production of the preceding 1949 version of the notched loading bar Super Speed once government limits on brass availability for razor parts was lifted. Note the tubular handle extension at the top of the aluminum handle and the absence of a copper washer between the aluminum handle and black plastic TTO knob. Some variability in the length of this piece can be seen among Black Tip Super Speed razors fitted with aluminum handles. Steel handled back Tip Super Speed razors weighed on the average 45 grams, and the aluminum handled version, approximately 39 grams. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1951 Date Code W2 Black Tip Super Speed Razor Plated Steel Handle 46 Grams.jpg$Gillette 1951 Black Tip Super Speed Razor, W3 Date Code, Aluminum Handle Full View (2).JPG$Gillette 1951 Black Tip Super Speed 1951 Steel and Aluminum Handle Comparison Full View.JPGView attachment 605145

Last edited by a moderator:
BSA Guy; Santa Maria Steve; Gray Beard 57; Thank you! I hope it was informative information on perhaps one of the most historically associated of Gillette's razors, aside from their other wartime offerings such as the Contract Tech. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank you Lane! I was an archaeologist in Round One before becoming a nurse to serve and have a recession-proof career, so the cultural aspects of the early post war era and Super Speeds are most interesting to me. I will keep everyone posted... but after my 15th wedding anniversary vacation to the North Carolina High County around Boone and West Jefferson. I will be back on the weekend. God Bless! Tony$Marines Returning from Fighting on Eniwetok Atoll 1944 Navy Watch Cups.jpg

Attachments

• $Gillette 1955 Color Advertisement for Three Super Speed Versions.jpg
    $Gillette 1955 Color Advertisement for Three Super Speed Versions.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 299
  • $Gillette Super Speed Advert 1949.jpg
    $Gillette Super Speed Advert 1949.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 297
  • $Gillette Store Display 1955.jpg
    $Gillette Store Display 1955.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
A quick note to acknowledge three photos above to Lloyd Sangren, redditt, and Badger and Blade. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:
Two Gillette 1951 advertisements. One highlights the new case introduced with the Black Tip Super Speed razor, but does not mention the changes in the handle or twist-to-open knob. The second advertisement points to the new ten blade, Gillette Blue Blade dispenser. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette 1951 Advert New Case.jpg$Gillette 1951 Advertisement Black Tip Super Speed and Case 10 Blade Dispenser.jpg

Thank you Peter! Of course Gillette had other reasons to continue to support the Korean War effort, aside from complying with the governmental sequestering of available brass reserves... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Korean War Shaving with Native Help.jpg

After shaving for some time with the pair of Black Tips-I have become particularly fond of the later W3 aluminum handed version. I find it nimble and easily maneuvered. The patterning on the handle is more defined than the harder to machine steel version, so it can be held with two fingers confidently. The photograph below illustrates both machining differences and importantly, a variance in safety bar design, with the safety bar being more angular and perpendicular on the aluminum handled version- subtle, yet contributing to the unique shaving characteristics of each razor. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette W2 Black Tip Steel Handle Super Speed Safety Bar Gap Detail Left, Gillette W3 Black Tip.JP

Last edited:
Great information mgbbrown , I have another variation on the W2 theme ,this Black Tip has a steel handle and an aluminum?TTO knob (it is non magnetic ) and it is definitely not faded plastic . This razor could have been a transition model , I have seen two others like this one and both were W2.

$BT1.jpg

Glenn

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Great post - I have two W-3's, one of each material. I never noticed the subtle differences until today. Pulled mine out (wish I could find a couple cases in the consition pictured by the OP), and sure enough the aluminum version is just a tad shorter. I think that I'll use one for my shave later .. maybe both to see if I'm sensitive enough to feel the differences.

Glenn; What a beautiful razor! Yes-I do believe it was a transition model. The tooling for the plastic TTO knob may have been the same, as I am sure that Gillette anticipated a governmental sequestering of brass, as the US involvement in the Korean crisis grew into the Korean War in late 1951, about the same time as your Super Speed. Unfortunately, this adds one more Gillette razor to my wants list. I had thought to decrease my Super Speed desires by acquiring only mainstream production-but oh well! Thank you for posting!

Gary G; Thank you for the compliment- I am glad you have enjoyed the thread! As for locating styrene cases of which the clear lid is un-cracked and without crazing-look for a nice base first. The same style case was used interchangeably throughout the Super Speed production period by Gillette, so a nicer lid can be found from a later or altogether different model, then polished with Mothers Polish and Novus Number 2 and carefully mated to the correct case bottom. Deeper scratches can also be sanded level with 1000 grit sandpaper. If the razor is included with the case and you do not need it-just pass it forward or introduce someone you know to the joys of vintage shaving! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette 1951 Black Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code W2 Steel Handle with Closed Blue  Styrene Ca.jp$Gillette Early Super Speed Razors 1949-1955 with Cases and Blue Blade Dispensers.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Gary G; Thank you for the compliment- I am glad you have enjoyed the thread! As for locating styrene cases of which the clear lid is un-cracked and without crazing-look for a nice base first. The same style case was used interchangeably throughout the Super Speed production period by Gillette, so a nicer lid can be found from a later or altogether different model, then polished with Mothers Polish and Novus Number 2 and carefully mated to the correct case bottom. Deeper scratches can also be sanded level with 1000 grit sandpaper. If the razor is included with the case and you do not need it-just pass it forward or introduce someone you know to the joys of vintage shaving! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

You know what, that thought flashed through my pea brain as I was putting the two Black-Tips back next to a couple later Superspeeds. The one I was looking at specifically was my red Tip, which is like glass, and which I wouldn't swap out. However, I think I'll take a walk by the Bay to see if there's some newer one's with good cases. Thanks for the re-hab advice as well, my two Black Tips have just awful lids, like most I've seen they are crazed, there must have been something amiss in the mold process in the early days ..

Thanks Tony!

You are probably right Gary G, but that case was molded from a very complex styrene injection cavity-if Gillette had thought to reinforce the curvature of the back of the lid at the hinges and front-it may have corrected the problem. I have my sights on one right now on ebay, and will restore the razor for my twin's birthday next month (mine too- the lid is my to-me present if I win!). Finding a good lid is not as hard as it sounds- they come up almost weekly-it is amazing just how many are out there. The key is to have several different searches that may capture what you are looking for more efficiently, and to ask the seller questions regarding cracks and crazing in the lid. Vintage slot car guys look for cases too- for me, I kept mine in a carry case or Pit Kit growing up, and the Aurora HO gauge slot cars I have restored stay in a Pit Kit just as I did in the early 1960's. Some folks choose not to keep the cases, as they found them impractical to use, and just parked their razor on a shelf in the medicine cabinet. Please let me know if you find one- I can certainly help you with bringing it to tip-top shape! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Aurora AC Cobra Black NOS.jpg$The Riverside Pit Kit.jpg

Gene; Aside from your transitional aluminum twist to open knob from the 1951 W2 production-Gillette also manufactured two versions of the black plastic knob during that period. Pictured are two 1951 W2 Black Tip Super Speeds- the one on the right has a bronze washer between the knob and steel handle, whereas the one on the left does not have this washer. This washer-less Black Tip Super Speed also has nickel plated steel silo doors. The Badger and Blade Wiki entry supports the existence of other variants during the Black Tip Super Speed's two years of production, such as steel parts of the razor head, but does not mention your aluminum TTO knob or the use of a bronze washer to reduce knob wear by friction against the steel handle. This suggests that production was not standardized, and was strongly influenced by the demands of the Korean war effort. During the winter of 1950-1951, the CPVA (Chinese People's Volunteer Army) intervened with disastrous results against UN forces at Chosan, allowing a southward advance beyond Seoul. Under General Ridgeway and MacAurthur's command, a combined UN and American counter-offensive recaptured the capital city to meet yet another Chinese offensive in the Iron Triangle. By the Spring of 1951, the war became one of fixed positions instead of massive troop movements. This tactical turn heightened American involvement, with President Truman declaring a state of national emergency. To help meet this threat in Korea, Gillette produced razors that would utilize less brass so that in turn-brass could be funneled into the war effort. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette 1951 W2 Black Tip Super Speed Variants Bronze Washer Left, No Washer Right Full View.JPG

Attachments

• $Gillette 1951 W2 Black Tip Super Speed Variants Bronze Washer Left, No Washer Right Close View.JPG
    $Gillette 1951 W2 Black Tip Super Speed Variants Bronze Washer Left, No Washer Right Close View.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 236
Gillette resumed manufacture of the 1949 style Super Speed late in the 1952 production cycle. Many X4, 1949 style Super Speeds, due to Gillette's practice of using as much of the older Black Tip Super Speed parts inventory as they could, were produced with an amalgamation of both ferrous and nonferrous heads, as well as handles produced in other metals than the customary brass that it traditionally used prior to nickel plating. in the period surrounding President Truman declaring a national state of emergency and the US's stepped-up draft and mobilization during the Korean Conflict-Gillette was forced to utilize non-metallic, non-ferrous, and ferrous materials in the production of Super Speeds by manufacturing razors with plastic TTO knobs, steel heads, steel or aluminum handles, bronze bushings between the TTO knob, and steel handle, or metal TTO knobs other than brass, and these orphan TTO knobs were sometimes painted black. In early 1952, Gillette began producing the Black Tip Super Speed as a more standardized razor, making it through most of 1952 with its now famous black plastic TTO knob and steel or aluminum handle. To the best of my knowledge, this razor was assembled after plating. Gillette also used the older Black Tip, royal blue case with this razor, rather than reintroducing the red and clear lid style case that was sold with Super Speed razors from 1949 to Black Tip production in 1951. America's response to the unending conflict in Korea was to recycle a leader-electing General Dwight D. Eisenhower to the Presidency. On July 27, 1953, the armistice agreement was signed between the UN forces and the North Korean Army. The war was finally ended, bringing more predictable razor parts production to Gillette once again. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Gillette 1952 X4 Super Speed and Black Tip Super Speed 1951 Style Case Close  View.JPG

Another anomaly of the Black Tip Super Speed has been tossed about for some time, and I quote Stan from a closed post on the subject:

"I figure it is a plastic tip from a second source supplier and is in the natural color of the plastic. Not dyed black yet. They had a few thousand which passed their requirements, other than for the color, and rather than toss them, they used them. Probably due to a supply and demand issue which caused them to qualify another source in the first place. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to go though the second source qualification process because the main supplier can't supply enough parts. And, invariably, the left over qualification samples get released to manufacturing to keep the line up.....

So, I expect there were a few thousand Tan Tips made at some point, and they are now rare (but not really anything special)...."

Below is a photograph of a 1951 W3 date code example. I would say that this is indeed less common than the 1950 V-3 date code prototype or the metal version of the Black Tip Super Speed, which has also been labeled as a production prototype of the Black Tip Super Speed. Stan's explanation remains quite plausible, as many manufacturers were using secondary suppliers as well as purchasing only when inventory levels were critically low. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette Metal Black Tip Super Speed 1951 W2.jpg$Gillette Tan TTO Knob Black Tip Super Speed 1951 W3 Date Code.jpg

Top Bottom