What's new

The 15th Annual One Blade in February Challenge

Well,

A whole month with the exact same setup, and no too bad as far as I can tell.
I've gotten quite better using the extra heavy UFO Handle with the Cobra.
I finally broke down and changed the blade out (somewhere around 18-22 shaves I think). Not that it was going badly, it's just that it was starting to take too much time, being extra careful and all. But oh the difference a new blade makes.

I'm not going to bother with the FFFMM this year. I think this little experiment went very well and taught me quite a bit.

Razor: King Cobra
Blade: Kai Titan (Regular)
Soap: Martin de Candre: Rose
A/S: Alum block and witch hazel.

I have absolutely loved participating in this thread, even though I was quite confident that a Super Silver would easily deliver a month's worth of shaves for me, especially because I shave only every other day. Regardless, seeing everyone's posts and the wonderful array of equipment was really enjoyable. @Tanuki, I must shout you out for your commitment and bravery to spend the entire month with a rusty, century-old three-hole blade. Epic. I've got a few of them, and I've tried one (without much luck). Maybe some day I'll give one another go. Many thanks also to @Mike M for hosting.

Completed OBiF with 25 shaves using 3 blades - all using the Minora Platinum

full

This Rainbow is going to make 70 shaves I think, will use it of the first edge (still) for #34 tonight and #35 tomorrow.

Barely managed 14 on each side last time, I think I may have a little better technique! And a Slim instead of a Tech which is what I used last time. Better match to the razor.

This Rainbow is going to make 70 shaves I think, will use it of the first edge (still) for #34 tonight and #35 tomorrow.

Barely managed 14 on each side last time, I think I may have a little better technique! And a Slim instead of a Tech which is what I used last time. Better match to the razor.
I think 14 on each side is 28 shaves. No?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20240325_125644.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#87 of 366 remaining 279(100%)

Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Personna 74(56)
Brush: Yaqi Moka-Express 2 band
Soap: TFS Rasozero Barbaccio
A/S: Davidoff Cool Water
Post Shave: Nivea Hyaluron Gel

Tonight another Barbaccio shave lathered with the Moka-Express. There is one thing about this soap as opposed to the EJ I just finished and that is that as long as I load heavy I find I can get three full passes from one load. It is almost as if the lather from the EJ dissipated in the brush leading me to have to load light before the final pass. 56th shave with the P74 and that is a full 8 weeks from this blade.

Mike M

IMG_20240330_155145.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#90 of 366 remaining 276(100%)
SV Saturday

Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Personna 74(59)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
A/S: Clinique Happy For Men

SV Saturday has rolled around again and it was time to cue up my favourite, 70th Anniversary. I went with the Purple Haze to lather it and if you haven't already guessed I once more loaded up the P74 into the R41. I have now reached 2 months of shaves from this blade and tomorrow's shave will equal my all time record of 60 shaves with a single blade. I have found that vintage blades seem to perform better, and last longer for me than current production blades. I will be starting into my third month with the P74 tomorrow.

Mike M

IMG_20240304_223647.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#92 of 366 remaining 274(100%)
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

Razor:
Muhle R41
Blade: Personna 74(61)
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF
Soap: MdC Original
A/S: Davidoff Cool Water

Ok it's Muhle/MdC Monday (and Easter Monday and April Fools day) but the big news, at least for me is that I have set a new record for the number of shaves with a single blade. The R41 is still delivering great shaves with the P74 blade, I think this is the longest run of consecutive uses of the R41 I've had since I got it. It was never my favourite razor but I have definitely grown to respect it for its run with this blade. From now every shave with the P74 is a new record for me so I'll just see how much further I can get.

Top Bottom