What's new

The 10 Commandments for Newbies

The Commandments

1. Thine technique suckith.
It really does. Mine did when I started and so did everyone elses'. Oh, your first four shaves went great and the 5th one ruined your face? That's because your technique is terrible. You got lucky a few times and ended up complacent. Even veterans get careless at times! Check the Shave Wiki for all sorts of great information regarding technique.

I'd have to agree with this one. I get pretty complacent in My shaving, and then scrape the hell out of my face. Other than that I feel that I get a decent shave, but that's because I hopped right in. My job requires that I shave daily.

Great Post, BTW.

There is already an abundance of info here that touches on all of this. No offense to the OP, but a sticky is not warranted, imo.

If the six million replies to Kyle's Prep thread don't get it a sticky I certainly don't expect this tread to get one. :tongue_sm

There is already an abundance of info here that touches on all of this. No offense to the OP, but a sticky is not warranted, imo.

Probably not in itself but what about adding it as a link to the existing sticky? It wasn't really the info that impressed though, more the fact that it's all in one place and it's a light hearted alternative to the guide already in that sticky.

Anyway, the tumbleweeds are calling...

Probably not in itself but what about adding it as a link to the existing sticky? It wasn't really the info that impressed though, more the fact that it's all in one place and it's a light hearted alternative to the guide already in that sticky...

+1

Yeah, if nothing else the info is very well arranged and the links encourage further reading/exploration.

8. Use one set of PROVEN products for an extended period of time.
If you're changing soaps and blades every shave or every other shave you're setting yourself up to fail. Your technique is so unbelievably bad at this point that changing variables is just enabling you to stay bad. "All I need is a Feather and I'll be BBS in no time!" If you force yourself to learn how to shave well with one set of products then you have a great starting point when you decide to try a new soap or blade. But only change one variable at a time! Blade samplers are the devil in this regard... I always cringe when people suggest them for brand new DE shavers. Leave Ogalalla Bay Rum, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Feather blades to the "pros". Buy a lather-bomb soap... Arko, Tabac, or Mama Bear's (for example). You'll benefit greatly from an easy to lather soap!

Glad I followed #8. Because I'm cheap, I used the same set up for 2.5 years: Merkur 38c, Derby blades, and an Omega Stripey brush. I used Honeybee Bee spa soaps for the first year and then added Tabac and Proraso to the rotation. During that time, I learned proper shaving technique and what good lather looks/feels like.

In January I finally moved on to trying new blades, soaps, and creams. Hopefully I'll get a new brush for father's day.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the six million replies to Kyle's Prep thread don't get it a sticky I certainly don't expect this tread to get one. :tongue_sm

Kyle's prep was a sticky at one stage and it is now in Wiki. The Wiki link is in the sticky. This type of thread pop here and there on the occasion and it's good. However, if someone wants to make it a sticky, my suggestion would be to create a reference in Wiki and it will need to be updated on the occasion as someone will always have a different view on how one thing will need to be done or in which order. We will say the same thing 95% of the time. That page in Wiki can become the sticky.

Lots of good advice! Especially the idea to stick to a set of proven products for a while to see how things go, and let your technique improve.

#8 totally applies to me. I wanna use everything to see what I like best but I don't have the experience yet as I only have like 5 shaves under my belt. I really want to use my Futur as I like the weight and longer handle however everybody suggests that i keep using the the 34C and it's noob friendly.

Great post! It's definitely worth knowing them when starting out.

On a personal note. I broke a couple of them (#2 and #4) and have been getting away with it, but my face is quite irritation resistant. The only time I had serious irritation was when I broke #2 and #4 together at the same time (poor lather+dull blade+4 passes=owwww).

Excellent set of commandments. Please allow me to share with you the 11th Commandment my Dad told with me upon my reaching the age of shaving, after all it's the reason we all gather on this board.

11th Commandment

Thou shalt not cultivate on thy face that which grows wild around thine Anus! (although Dad didn't use the word anus... )

:001_tt2:

Last edited:
One thing that I would add is don't try to do it on the cheap. I am not saying to go out and buy the most expensive supplies out there but do buy quality blades and soap/cream. I tried doing it on the cheap and fought the tools. Now that I have bought a good cream and am using a good blade I am learning proper technique. Not that I am an experienced DE shaver by a long shot, just something that I have found.

Top Bottom