What's new

The 10 Commandments for Newbies

The Commandments

1. Thine technique suckith.
It really does. Mine did when I started and so did everyone elses'. Oh, your first four shaves went great and the 5th one ruined your face? That's because your technique is terrible. You got lucky a few times and ended up complacent. Even veterans get careless at times! Check the Shave Wiki for all sorts of great information regarding technique.

2. Thou shalt not perform more than two passes on thine first dozen (or more) DE shaves.
If you've done two passes and your face isn't already torn up, you've won. Rinse your razor and call it a shave. Your technique is abysmal and a third or forth pass is just another opportunity to irritate.

3. Pride comes before thy fall.
The most surefire way to butcher your face is to convince yourself you've finally got it figured out. See Commandment #1. You don't.

4. Rinsing lather down the drain and walking away is not a sin.
If you're part of the way through a shave and your razor is skipping, dragging, snagging, and/or pulling something is not right. Put your razor down, rinse your face off, and regroup. Maybe you want to relather and try a new blade? Maybe it's time to take the cartridge system back out and finish up in a way that won't cause a bunch of issues. Sometimes your face and stubble come to a draw... If your face loses you might be out of commission for a week or more.

5. Thou shalt be bitten once and shy twice.
If you cut yourself 15 times on your first pass, but only cut yourself five or six times on your second pass it's not because you got better. It's because there wasn't any face left to cut. I'd say a good rule of thumb is one cut stick it out... two cuts cut it out. Everyone makes an occasional mistake but if you're cutting 1/4" chunks out of your mug S T O P shaving.

6. Thou shalt burn thine razor burn.
The best way to limit infection is to kill the germs that are going to cause it. If you've got a little razor burn or feel like you're going to have some irritation from your shave... throw on some alcohol based aftershave. Cuts/nicks heal a lot faster if they're clean (doesn't hurt to throw some more on the following day either). Alcohol based aftershave is also a good gauge of how well you shaved. A little burn is what I'd call normal. No burn is perfect. And if it feels like someone threw lava on your face you didn't do so well. Your razor is causing your razor burn!

7. Shaving isn't rocket science.
Regardless of what everyone on here might say... this whole shaving thing isn't nearly as complicated as some of us make it out to be. Sometimes I think a lot of guys would be better off watching a couple Mantic videos and then unplugging the internet for a week and shaving. Everyone has their opinion and their way of doing it... It's overwhelming quite frankly.
However, shaving isn't cookie cutter either. Your beard grain, for instance, might be just the opposite of what you'd expect.

8. Use one set of PROVEN products for an extended period of time.
If you're changing soaps and blades every shave or every other shave you're setting yourself up to fail. Your technique is so unbelievably bad at this point that changing variables is just enabling you to stay bad. "All I need is a Feather and I'll be BBS in no time!" If you force yourself to learn how to shave well with one set of products then you have a great starting point when you decide to try a new soap or blade. But only change one variable at a time! Blade samplers are the devil in this regard... I always cringe when people suggest them for brand new DE shavers. Leave Ogalalla Bay Rum, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Feather blades to the "pros". Buy a lather-bomb soap... Arko, Tabac, or Mama Bear's (for example). You'll benefit greatly from an easy to lather soap!

9. Someone has most likely struggled with thine problem in the past.
Just look through the "Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In" sub-forum. There are sometimes ten, maybe more, people joining the ranks on any given day. There's a huge number of active members here and every one of us has had an issue at one time or another. There's a bunch of absolutely fantastic gentlemen (and women!) on this site who are more than willing to help you out. Just ask!

10. Have fun!
Have you considered roasting your own coffee or trying a new tea? Need a suggestion for a good Single Malt? What about an enjoyable cigar for an upcoming golf outing? Need to look sharp for a date or upcoming job interview? Badger and Blade has a TON to offer and it's a fantastic resource for a great number of things. Once you figure the whole shaving thing out all the other stuff is what keeps you coming back!

The 11th Commandment (if one existed)...
Once you've mastered your shaving rituals and bought a dozen soaps and a bunch of razors, three brushes, and a half dozen different colognes...
Support Badger and Blade by becoming a contributor.

Last edited:
Good commandments!

Most important thing I've learned is to relax and take your time! :wink2:
Nothing seems to ruin a decent shave more than being tense and rushing... once you start to get relaxed with the blade, it flows easier. If you're in a rush..? Grab a cartridge, it won't kill you :001_tt2:
Cheers,

I do like the point about sticking with a set razor, blade & soap/cream for an extended period of time. Chopping & changing does not help one hone their technique

Excellent post!!! Should be a must read for all noobs!!! As a noob I have really resist the impulse to buy more and more as I am the type of person who want the latest and the greatest! I am now struggling to stay with the basics until I get my technique down, before I start changing things. To all other noobs pay heed and don't chase the multitude of razors, soaps and creams. It will come in time:drool:

The Commandments

8. Use one set of PROVEN products for an extended period of time.
If you're changing soaps and blades every shave or every other shave you're setting yourself up to fail. Your technique is so unbelievably bad at this point that changing variables is just enabling you to stay bad. "All I need is a Feather and I'll be BBS in no time!" If you force yourself to learn how to shave well with one set of products then you have a great starting point when you decide to try a new soap or blade. But only change one variable at a time! Blade samplers are the devil in this regard... I always cringe when people suggest them for brand new DE shavers. Leave Ogalalla Bay Rum, Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Feather blades to the "pros". Buy a lather-bomb soap... Arko, Tabac, or Mama Bear's (for example). You'll benefit greatly from an easy to lather soap!

9. Someone has most likely struggled with thine problem in the past.
Just look through the "Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In" sub-forum. There are sometimes ten, maybe more, people joining the ranks on any given day. There's a huge number of active members here and every one of us has had an issue at one time or another. There's a bunch of absolutely fantastic gentlemen (and women!) on this site who are more than willing to help you out. Just ask!

8. These are two areas that we bring up to newbies in many threads and for at least the first six weeks you should stick with the same products in order to work on technique.

9. We have an excellent set of informative threads under:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700
Every newbie should read these to help provide two things.
A. Others have gone through similar problems.
B There are solutions. Sometimes they may not be the solutions you want, but they are solutions nonetheless.

Excellent writeup! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agree with 7, 9, and 10, the rest I respectfully disagree with, and would point out that 1-6 and 8 actually go against 7. As for #8 I used 6 different razors for my first 6 DE shaves, maybe that wouldn't work for just everyone, but it worked fine for me. This really isn't that hard, and it's not necessarily THAT different form the cartridge razors most of us have used on our own faces for years and years. If you can get a good shave with a cartridge, chances are with some care, you can get an even better one with a DE. I gave myself 2 minor nicks the first time I tried a straight at age 16, and they didn't require a styptic, or even a wad of TP. I got a minor weeper on my scalp the first time I tried a DE at age 40. I've since nicked myself once when I wasn't paying attention. I'm not saying this to point out that I'm a super shaver. I'm a total newb at DE, but you're right this isn't rocket science. I know not everyone will have as easy a time as I did, but I suspect i'm also not alone. I think YMMV is a much more universal rule than any of your supposed commandments, but if I had to pick one of yours, it's "Shaving isn't rocket science". Just because we happen to geek out on the minutiae of shaving here doesn't make any of us experts, and it also is not necessary to know most of this stuff to get a good shave. A DE razor is a tool, and the only "universal" things anyone needs to know about how to use it are blade angle and pressure. All the rest: beard prep, shaving with, against or across the grain, aftershave, etc. are just shaving, and being a newbie to using a specific tool doesn't negate years of experience with all that. Yes there is plenty to learn, and we all might have knowledge to share, but let's not go making it sound like this is some lost arcane art. It's not. It's a sharp blade cutting through wet hair, and there's more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes.

8. These are two areas that we bring up to newbies in many threads and for at least the first six weeks you should stick with the same products in order to work on technique.
:

In the first 6 weeks of using a DE, I probably used as many as 18 different razors, 6 different blades and several different soaps, and 3 different brushes. I had maybe 3 weepers in that time which can be attributed more to over enthusiasm than to a problem using any particular tool. While that may be good advice for some, I wouldn't apply it wholesale. Experimenting with different razors was very rewarding for me, and did not particularly detract from my learning curve, in fact, it taught me to give myself a great shave with whatever tools might be available. If someone was struggling to figure out how to use a DE, I might in fact advise them to stick with one tool until they figure out the basics, but if someone wants to experiment and does not find it daunting to try different tools, I don't see any good reason to dissuade them.

I've been DE shaving for a year and straight shaving for only a couple weeks and I've never had a cut that requried any additional attention... rinse with cold water and alcohol AS or Witchhazel. Sure everyone's different but is it realistic to suggest a completely separate plan for each new person to the site?

The reality is 90% of the standard recommendations apply to 95% of the wet shavers. Do I think I'm a "good shaver"... no. I think I'm a careful shaver who understands that if you wield some of these blades like a cartridge you're going to hurt yourself. I "get" blade angle, I "get" pressure. Some guys have very good shaves right off, but just because you understood "no pressure" and blade angle before some of the other guys doesn't mean that they still don't apply.

If you've got a good grasp of technique after the first few shaves, great (I'm not saying it's impossible, if you read what I wrote). I said if you shave 4-5 times and then things go to hell it wasn't because you have everything figured out and your blade just wasn't right. All of this is very very simple, all of these things are all over the board one place or another...

If you really think these 10 tips REALLY don't apply go to the first 20 threads on the newbie forum and tell them why the problems they're having are because their technique is perfect, their blade needs to be changed, their lather is great, and that they should have keep going after the first pass resulted in about 15 cuts. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom