What's new

that damn lapping film crap almost killed me!

So, i've got this realy cool 7 day Shulzle set, and I don't think it has ever been used, had it for a while, and have been wanting to make it shave ready.

$_DSC2285.jpg

So, i finally got all this honing stuff. Gneiss, DMT, film...
Started with "Sunday"
DMT 600, DMT1200, Film 12 um, 5 um, , 3 um, 1 um, 1 with paper...
The result...

$_DSC2283.jpg

Sunday was so sharp, it cut my face off! Never have I have had a blade this sharp.
Can I now qualify as a "Hone Master" ? Styptic didn't work, and I was afraid to use AS...

lol, doesn't look like it was fun. nice box o' razors!

what does this make you think about the shaves off the GD?

the shaves with the GD were like cream compared to this, or maybe the other way around, don't know? Only problem is that this is my first hone, so I can't compare what I may do with a GD.
I will qualify that it gave me weepers in a couple of other areas. Almost afraid to work on the rest of the set...
Maybe I have not yet learned how to shave?

if i understand correctly, both were honed on film, (GD and these)… wonder if it's the bevel angles or perhaps the GD was nice and used, but still sharp enough..

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
No such thing as too sharp :lol:. To be honest as all my razors start to slowly dull down I unconsciously apply more pressure, use scything strokes with less care and over all not respect the edge as much. Going to a newly honed razor sometimes cuts me too.

I would try again and be more careful.

No such thing as too sharp.
Preach it brother!

I used to commute to work using my trusty and fuel-efficient Corolla.
One time I had the opportunity to drive my friend's Porche.
That accelerator was soooooo sensitive, a little tap would rev the engine to the red line.
But my friend drove it like a pro, smooth enough for a sleeping baby.
To me the Porche was too sensitive, to him it was the ultimate driving machine.

I say hone those bad boys as sharp as you can, and learn to shave like the gods.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Bil, it appears you missed a few whiskers during your last shave.:biggrin1:

...but that is a beautiful box of blades!

These guys who claim no such thing as "too sharp" are often the ones running home to momma when the topic of Feather AC blades comes up.....:001_rolle

Bil, it appears you missed a few whiskers during your last shave.:biggrin1:
LOL, I have a beard trimmer that I use for my stash, and beard, one morning, getting ready for work, and half asleep, I pulled out the trimmer, started at it, and half way through, realized that I had forgot to put the guard on the trimmer.
Needless to say, I had already shaved half my beard, and stash, off.
If you think the pic above is ugly.....

These guys who claim no such thing as "too sharp" are often the ones running home to momma when the topic of Feather AC blades comes up.....:001_rolle

I have used both DE and Single edge Feather blades, neither blade was "too sharp". Used a Feather DE just yesterday as a matter of fact. :glare:

No such thing as too sharp :lol:. To be honest as all my razors start to slowly dull down I unconsciously apply more pressure, use scything strokes with less care and over all not respect the edge as much. Going to a newly honed razor sometimes cuts me too.

I would try again and be more careful.

This happens with me and Feather ACs all the time. I get 10-15 shaves out of a blade but the first few shaves with a new blade, which are just after the 15th shave on a mellowed blade, are a bit tentative. I usually end up with some minor weepers.

For the OP. That is a nice 7 day set. Sharp is good - and it is easier to control with a regular straight. Your stash and beard kinda cover the hard parts of your face - my chin or corners of my mouth are my danger areas. Congrats on getting a super sharp edge.

Oh... and if you plan on cutting yourself this way regularly (styptic won't stop it) then consider getting an ounce of Monsel's solution. Stops bleeding (not just weepers) almost instantly. You'll still have the cut to heal but you won't be leaking. I bought two ounces from Amazon and I now realize it will last two lifetimes. A drop on a Q-tip is all that is needed if you are stopping a significant cut.

You are such a "scooby doo-doo head" sometimes. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I need to run home to momma, I didn't even know that I had cut up both sides of my face...
View at your own risk, I am old enough not to care posting my pics, but you might want to use a mirror, lest you turn to stone...
The morning after...
$_DSC2289.jpg
gaaa..
didn't even know it did this....
$_DSC2288.jpg

OK... that has to qualify for some sort of an award. Both cuts are vertical - during an xtg? Your skin looks like a baby butt compared to mine so I have to stretch mine else it will bunch up and I will slice the fold (both xtg and atg - wtg is not a problem).

Top Bottom