What's new

Thank you, B&B!

Ever had one of those really, really exceptional shaves? Like the ones that make you thank God you're a man that grows tough follicles all over your face, just so that you have the pleasure of cutting them off like it ain't nobody's business? I had that shave one hour ago.

I am a cyclist, so I had a hammer-fest of a ride today, followed by shower. I soaked my Omega boar brush in scalding water while I showered, came out, dropped in my Proraso shave cream (with eucalyptus) and made my lather in my shave mug. Merkur Classic 33c with Astra Superior Platinum DE blades (these blades...like whoa). B - B - freakin S. Never had it easier in my life. Finished up with some C.O. Bigelow elixir blue aftershave, which I couldn't recommend more. I'm a new man.

Some background: before this point, I had been using an old no-name DE my uncle gave me, with shave cream out of a can and no-name blades that came with it. This had tided me over for a month or two, enough to learn wetshaving and what-not and discover B&B. I'd actually gotten some decent shaves for a long time out of that set-up!

Well, B&B, you have spoiled me. I can't give enough thank-you's. I feel like I've made the same leap from electric-*** to wetshaving, except now it's from wetshaving to FREAKING AMAZING wetshaving. Like whoa. I mean, I've gotten good shaves before, but this one came easier, and just...so...wonderfully. :cool:

I would like to thank alabamalawyer for a great brush and other shave den supplies, cfriend for the merkur classic, and techdog for the astra blades. And if my pleasurable DE experience wasn't enough, I've made the jump into the world of straights. I've got a beautiful 5/8 T. Hessel Bruch circa 1881 full hollow from Ambrose, shave ready and just begging to be taken on its maiden voyage. A tony miller strop from stripec30 is going to accompany my foray this weekend! So yeah, I've been a busy boy on the shaving mall lately! :tongue_sm

Wish me luck as I continue to try new gear (but let's hope not too soon, because I've spent enough hehe) and maybe even give this straight thing a go to see if that is for me as well.

Is it sacrilege to switch between straight and DE based on convenience? I mean, if my DE shaves are going to be this good and this fast I fear I might have to save the straight for when I've got the time in the mornings to relax and really enjoy the shave!

Gentlemen, wet-shaving is really a beautiful thing.

B - B - freakin S. Never had it easier in my life. Finished up with some C.O. Bigelow elixir blue aftershave, which I couldn't recommend more. I'm a new man.
Well done, sir! And I'll also vouch for the elixir blue ASB, it is good stuff.
Wish me luck as I continue to try new gear (but let's hope not too soon, because I've spent enough hehe) and maybe even give this straight thing a go to see if that is for me as well.
Good luck! I've also spent enough, but it seems as each week goes by, I find something else that I must try, or a bargain that I cannot pass up. :rolleyes:
Is it sacrilege to switch between straight and DE based on convenience? I mean, if my DE shaves are going to be this good and this fast I fear I might have to save the straight for when I've got the time in the mornings to relax and really enjoy the shave!

Gentlemen, wet-shaving is really a beautiful thing.
There is no sacrilege here. From what I understand, you don't ever want to feel rushed with a straight in your hand. Not ever.

Yes, my first full XTG, meditative, 4-pass, 10-minute shave was simply sublime. It was a beautiful morning, the windows open, birds singing, etc. The shave was awesome, and I then realized I found the tao of shaving.

Yes, my first full XTG, meditative, 4-pass, 10-minute shave was simply sublime. It was a beautiful morning, the windows open, birds singing, etc. The shave was awesome, and I then realized I found the tao of shaving.

Oh how I wish I had a window in my bathroom! Its upstairs in the middle of the house With rooms surrounding it. Ah well, having a sunlight isn't too bad though!
Sometimes I can heair furry creatures and birds walking around on my roof!:lol:

To the OP: It is rather amazing isn't it! i had my doubts when I first jumped into wetshaving and DE's headfirst... but after the first BBS, there is no turning back. I woke up today and the first thing that entered my mind was, "Check your beard, its shaving time baby! :w00t:"

Top Bottom