What's new

TGN Super Silvertip Knot

Who has used this knot, and what you do you think of it? How does it compare to top offerings from the usual suspects (Simpson, SR, Shavemac, Rooney)? Since this knot hasn't been offered for very long, there isn't much written about it on the forum. I've got a handle I plan to re-knot, and I'm currently deciding between this one or sending the handle to Bernd for a custom Shavemac knot.

I have this in 22mm and love it. I have not used any of the others you mentioned. I went from an entry level pure badger omega to this.

You can see me talking about it and check out the reknot pics here.

I really like this knot. Its very very soft, thought not overly dense. To compensate for the medium density, I set mine low at 44mm loft. It makes for a great little face lather brush at that height. Originally I had it at 48mm and that was a bit high and floppy for my personal tastes, though if your more of a cream bowl latherer it was very luxurious like that. As for Shavemacs I have only used a DO1 bulb and a D01 two band flat top, and its different but no worse than them. It does nor have the backbone the other two knots have, not is it a dense. However it is easily softer than both of them.

You could try the TGN knot and set it with a minimal amount of silicone adhesive. That way if its not exactly what you wanted, you can gently pull the knot out and send it off to Bernd for another type of knot.

Last edited:
I really like this knot. Its very very soft, thought not overly dense. To compensate for the medium density, I set mine low at 44mm loft. It makes for a great little face lather brush at that height. Originally I had it at 48mm and that was a bit high and floppy for my personal tastes, though if your more of a cream bowl latherer it was very luxurious like that. As for Shavemacs I have only used a DO1 bulb and a D01 two band flat top, and its different but no worse than them. It does not have the backbone the other two knots have, not is it a dense. However it is easily softer than both of them.

You could try the TGN knot and set it with a minimal amount of silicone adhesive. That way if its not exactly what you wanted, you can gently pull the knot out and send it off to Bernd for another type of knot.

Agree with all of this. I set mine at 45mm and it is indeed the softest knot they have, though setting it in the low 40's gives it a little more backbone. In terms of comparisons to retail brushes - it is very, very similar to a shavemac finest.

I should mention that I too set mine at a lower loft, in the 40s somewhere. I use it on soaps and bowl lather.

Here's mine: 20mm / loft 48mm.
I do 75% soaps / 25% creams using a lather bowl.
I find it slightly lighter in density than my Rooney 3/1.
Plenty soft for my taste.

That is one fantastic handle! Very handsome with lots of character :thumbup1:

Here is mine...:thumbup:

It is set in a RV genuine horn handle, I love it!!!

It is one of the softest brushes I have only second to my Vie-Longs. Mine is set at about 48mm which works well for me as I bowl lather creams. In my opinion (for what it is worth) I think you woulld have a hard time finding a better knot for the money, it is a great value.

Justin

I just got the TNG 22mm x 65mm Silvertip Badger hair knot, Extra stuffing yesterday and will be giving it it's maiden voyage tonight. I set it at 53mm in an Omega #05 handle, it looks good and feels great to the hand. I can't wait to use it:thumbup:

Just to clarify this, I believe the originator was asking about the 22mm SST from TGN. This knot, unless I'm mistaken is ony available in the 22mm size. The other knots that are being discussed here are not the SST (Super Silver Tip), they may be silver tip or even sillver tip grade A, but I think he was asking about the SST knot...

Justin

With this knot for face lathering with cream(trufits if it matters) Is there kind of an optimum loft? I'm thinking about using it for my first restore and I have no idea how to really pick a loft.

With this knot for face lathering with cream(trufits if it matters) Is there kind of an optimum loft? I'm thinking about using it for my first restore and I have no idea how to really pick a loft.

I think it's a matter of personal preference.
And loft mainly has relevance in terms of knot diameter.
On my first restore I drilled out the handle hole deeper than I needed and slid the knot up and down to test how it felt.
Then I shimmed up to the desired loft using dimes under the knot.

Joe,

I think if you set it around 45mm you would be happy, it should do both well...

One thing is for sure, for the money you can't beat this knot.

Justin

To clarify, Tony's new top-of-the-line silvertip type is the "super silvertip." It goes Silvertip => Silvertip Grade A => Super Silvertip. So far, he's only had it in 22mm.

Joe,

I think if you set it around 45mm you would be happy, it should do both well...

One thing is for sure, for the money you can't beat this knot.

Justin

I think this is what I'm going to do. I've been eying this knot since Tony started offering it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom