What's new

Testing a JNAT

This should be a sticky. It shows the SIMPLICITY of the process. No 27 nagura progressions. No unnecessary steps. And you know that Doc is about the best there is at this so you know the edge is superb. One other thing... He killed the edge before he started. Which required more time that would normally be necessary. Great share!

Good video, thanks.

Somewhat related question though
I recently tried HHT test on one of newly acquired razors, and it failed pretty badly, cherry tomato test was similar to what you're showing, but shave wasn't great (razor needs honing in my opinion). Is this "user error" due to lack of experience with this test or is cherry tomato test just in general "less reliable" (HHT test has yet to fail me).

PS. watching you kill that edge as someone who isn't honing himself made me cringe. :D

Good video, thanks.

Somewhat related question though
I recently tried HHT test on one of newly acquired razors, and it failed pretty badly, cherry tomato test was similar to what you're showing, but shave wasn't great (razor needs honing in my opinion). Is this "user error" due to lack of experience with this test or is cherry tomato test just in general "less reliable" (HHT test has yet to fail me).

PS. watching you kill that edge as someone who isn't honing himself made me cringe. :D

I use the cherry tomato as bevel set test. Once that bevel is set the cherry tomato doesn’t add anything.

HHT takes a little practice to dial in, once you do you will be able to correlate the shave pretty closely to the HHT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the cherry tomato as bevel set test. Once that bevel is set the cherry tomato doesn’t add anything.

HHT takes a little practice to dial in, once you do you will be able to correlate the shave pretty closely to the HHT.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

I find that HHT will give me pretty good indication on sharpness, but not necessarily comfort, which makes sense (even if I move a bit closer to the skin at times, HHT is still pretty good indicator of "shave ready" for me).

I wrongly assumed that cherry tomato was "somewhat" equivalent, and wanted to know it wasn't "me" doing the wrong thing.

Thanks for sharing. I also like to arm strop when working an edge. But your level of confidence is on an entire diffrent level here.

About a year ago I was mincing some peppers while looking and having a conversation across the room. Heard a slightly diffrent crunch. Well it was the corner tip and nail of my index finger being cleanly cut off. It grew back but is sensitive now.

Needless to say I slowed things down a bit.

Nice video. Very helpful for us newbies to jnat. I got a full set of naguras but I do find the dmt method easier to use.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
About a year ago I was mincing some peppers while looking and having a conversation across the room. Heard a slightly diffrent crunch. Well it was the corner tip and nail of my index finger being cleanly cut off. It grew back but is sensitive now.

Needless to say I slowed things down a bit.
I remember that. lol

Nice video, Doc.

I remember that. lol

Nice video, Doc.

Ha yea, I posted a pic. of that. As weird as it sounds, I was a little proud of how clean of a cut that was. You know, fresh edge off a new to me suita stone at the time. But the mods pulled my post after about 20min... too gruesome I guess.

so, at this point if it wasn't shave ready, would you just hit it with a light slurry again and do some more? would this mean that the stone wasn't a great finish stone, or that there might be something else that you could have done. In the video you said the amount of slurry determines the quality of shaving edge (paraphrasing?), would you just try again with more/less slurry?

so, at this point if it wasn't shave ready, would you just hit it with a light slurry again and do some more? would this mean that the stone wasn't a great finish stone, or that there might be something else that you could have done. In the video you said the amount of slurry determines the quality of shaving edge (paraphrasing?), would you just try again with more/less slurry?

Depends, I always kill the edge and set my own bevel. Typically I do that on a shapton glass 4K, then to DN slurry on the JNAT.

This video I’m testing how well the stone cuts.

My honing philosophy changed after @alx gilmore posted his Ax method. It really showed me what these stones can do.

When I’m talking about finishing in a small amount of slurry, it’s just preference.

I find most stones leave a sharp but harder edge when finished with plain water. A small amount of worked slurry leaver a softer feeling edge with enough sharpness.

I tried the axe method and didn't realpy get good results. What do you think of his actual method?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom