What's new

"Testers vs NIB"

Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase a "tester" versus a New In Box bottle of cologne if its a "reputable" ebay seller?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject!

Shane

Interesting question. I have a couple of testers and they seem just fine. I suppose they may have been sitting around in a hot space under spotlight being handled by all sorts of prospects, but they still seem fine and at about 1/2 list and 90+% full, they seemed like a good deal. Also. less likely to be a fake that "NIB" knockoffs.

Check out scentmonkey.com and their price match, they have testers available and I have made several purchases with them over the past few months without any problems and there are discount codes available you just need to look for them on the web. To answer your question I think testers are fine.

I've owned some testers, but I typically buy NIB bottles because I'm nuts about having the boxes and caps and all of that.

There's no difference in scent between testers and retail bottles.

Thanks for the input guys :) its just so much cheaper it makes you wonder if theres something "wrong" with it haha

The juice in a tester is exactly the same. Could you imagine a company putting testers out with something other than their product in it?

As far as used testers goes, I probably wouldn't buy one on line. But I've bought them from local stores before when they're having a clearance sale or something like that. Why not? Gives you a chance to test something out at a great price.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have bought a few times testers from companies like scentiments, fragrancenet and beautyencounter. There is nothing wrong with testers, unless you want the boxes or the caps. The testers I have bought all come in a neutral, heavy duty cardboard box. Testers are normally used in perfume stores and department store cosmetic departments and are the bottles standing around on the counters for you to test (hence the name) the scent.

The only problem is that testers you buy are going to be a grey market product. By that I mean, whoever is selling it to you isn't purchasing the testers from Chanel or whoever made them. They have probably imported it from a different market. The exact same bottle of perfume sells for wildly different prices in North America vs. Europe vs. Africa vs. Asia. So the only issue is that the tester could be manufactured 6 months ago, or 4 years ago, it could be no different than the stuff you get from the department store, or it could have been sitting in a sweltering hot warehouse in Hong Kong for 3 years before it was moved along - and the smell will be off from the get go.

For that reason, I usually will only buy a tester if the discounts are huge, like 70%. I've had good and bad luck with them.

Top Bottom