What's new

Test driving the PearlMax Super Stainless

Took delivery of 100 of these blades yesterday from China. They were $2.89, but after shipping $5.43.

So this is, essentially, a five cent blade.

I wanted my first try with one to be mostly about the blade, rather than the razor, so I went with my red tip Super Speed rather than the OC bronze Timeless or Pearl Flexi. I also went with Cremo Cream instead of a soap I'd have to lather up (too watery, not thick enough, etc.)
20231121_115517.jpg

20231121_115941.jpg

For me, any new blade has to meet one main criteria. It has to, at a minimum, be a better experience than a Voskhod. Voskhods aren't just tug-tacular. They are tug-tastic!

The PearlMax cut smoothly. No tugging. Not even in the mustache/goatee region. This was a 3 pass shave, but no cleanup, no chasing the BBS. I cut myself badly on my upper lip. Shaky hands and two cups of non-decaf coffee literally minutes before the shave. So I stopped the shave earlier than usual.

I literally had a blood-red Hitler mustache. If I'd had an audience and been in a better mood, I would've ranted about how Steiner's counter-attack will solve everything. It will probably be four or five days before I can shave again.

I consider this a very good blade, especially as it is a 5 cent blade.

Great review and pics, @AshleyC!! Sorry to hear about your defeat at Upper Lip!!

I've tried PearlMax Super Plats and found them to be decent blades. The tuck that I have is a plain white box with a blue swish across the bottom. I love the design of your tuck!!

lasta

Blade Biter
Hiya,

Do you mind posting a picture of the back of the tuck? Who makes these?

I live in China and I couldn't find them!

Took delivery of 100 of these blades yesterday from China. They were $2.89, but after shipping $5.43.

So this is, essentially, a five cent blade.

I wanted my first try with one to be mostly about the blade, rather than the razor, so I went with my red tip Super Speed rather than the OC bronze Timeless or Pearl Flexi. I also went with Cremo Cream instead of a soap I'd have to lather up (too watery, not thick enough, etc.)
View attachment 1752033
View attachment 1752049
For me, any new blade has to meet one main criteria. It has to, at a minimum, be a better experience than a Voskhod. Voskhods aren't just tug-tacular. They are tug-tastic!

The PearlMax cut smoothly. No tugging. Not even in the mustache/goatee region. This was a 3 pass shave, but no cleanup, no chasing the BBS. I cut myself badly on my upper lip. Shaky hands and two cups of non-decaf coffee literally minutes before the shave. So I stopped the shave earlier than usual.

I literally had a blood-red Hitler mustache. If I'd had an audience and been in a better mood, I would've ranted about how Steiner's counter-attack will solve everything. It will probably be four or five days before I can shave again.

I consider this a very good blade, especially as it is a 5 cent blade.

Great review!! Tough to argue when shipping represents almost 50% of the total $0.05 cost. :a29:

Hiya,

Do you mind posting a picture of the back of the tuck? Who makes these?

I live in China and I couldn't find them!
20231122_154043.jpg

That's the back of the tuck. No great reveal there. Made in PRC. I found these on Aliexpress.

Weird thing about the "Yaqi Official Store" on Aliexpress is they don't appear to sell actual blades there. That seems like a no-brainer.

Funny, this blade popped up for me on AE too. One of the cheapest deals I've come across. Didn't buy though..
I come across many different new blades coming from China this year.
Maybe has to do with Gillette moving some production from Russia to China?

Great write up,mine arrived today, will wait till I finish off the blade currently loaded to give these a try.

Please let this thread die! My first encounter with the PearlMax was okay, but it must've been a next day shave. My second try with one was a 48 hour shave, at least, and it wasn't very good. I would not endorse buying any of these now.

I intend to use mine up doing back of the neck and upper back shower shaving.

Please let this thread die! My first encounter with the PearlMax was okay, but it must've been a next day shave. My second try with one was a 48 hour shave, at least, and it wasn't very good. I would not endorse buying any of these now.

I intend to use mine up doing back of the neck and upper back shower shaving.

I didn't know his blades were so bad :mellow:

I didn't know his blades were so bad :mellow:
My first impression of this blade, for whatever reason, was way off the mark.

I ordered these and the Sunekos at the same time. I received the PearlMax first and tried one, once. Then my next seven shaves were on a Suneko. Coming off the Suneko and back to a new PearlMax only highlighted how not good the PearlMax actually is.

I would be embarrassed if anyone bought these based on my original review.

I would be embarrassed if anyone bought these based on my original review.
I have a 50 pack of these PearlMax razor blades ($3.48, what a deal) that should be delivered in the next few days. I think they'll be fine for me as I have low demands out of my razor blades (relatively sparse growth and I only shave one pass with the grain). I have used a few value-priced blades like Doalco, Flydear, Treet Platinum, and Big Ben, and they all have been fine.

I guess that's a good thing not being so sensitive to blades. For me the actual razor seems to be more of a factor than the blade brand.

I have a 50 pack of these PearlMax razor blades ($3.48, what a deal) that should be delivered in the next few days. I think they'll be fine for me as I have low demands out of my razor blades (relatively sparse growth and I only shave one pass with the grain). I have used a few value-priced blades like Doalco, Flydear, Treet Platinum, and Big Ben, and they all have been fine.

I guess that's a good thing not being so sensitive to blades. For me the actual razor seems to be more of a factor than the blade brand.
I hope that is the case.

It is really something to realize that it isn't just B&B folks who might read my opinions on some consumer product, but potentially anyone in the world who types in "PearlMax blades" on Google and this thread pops up near the top of the list simply because there isn't anything else out written about these blades. A bit humbling, really.

I hope that is the case.

It is really something to realize that it isn't just B&B folks who might read my opinions on some consumer product, but potentially anyone in the world who types in "PearlMax blades" on Google and this thread pops up near the top of the list simply because there isn't anything else out written about these blades. A bit humbling, really.
I used to play tennis avidly and was a serious gear freak. I used to spend thousands of dollars on new racquets and strings and shoes every year.

Anyway, there was and is a popular tennis equipment forum that I was very active on, and I know many racquets were sold due to my posts. If my enthusiasm for the sport had only came a few years later when YouTube got big, maybe I could have made some money instead of spending it.

Regardless don't get too down on yourself. Razor blades are cheap and one has to be somewhat out there to be buying razor blades from Chinese shopping sites based on internet recommendations. :)

I hope that is the case.

Leadership can be fraught. On balance, though, I'd say you're very much in the black.

@AshleyC You must not be discouraged, you're one of the first to try out razor blades that other members wouldn't test.

You're moving the forum forward with your discoveries, this forum needs people like you who are daring and who do tests.

I strongly encourage you to continue, a lot of people like you and like reading your tests.

I like you too :thumbup1:

So I got my 50 pack (I think I got an older batch in the old packaging) and shaved with one in my aggressive Fatip Grande. Hmm, Pearlmax is rather nondescript, but not in a bad way. It definitely doesn't feel sharp like a Gillette Nacet, not smooth like a Treet Platinum. The sound of shaving was loud from the start, but the Pearlmax blade did the job just like the other Chinese brands I have tried: Doalco, Flydear: PFS in my normal solo pass WTG.

Would I buy it again? Perhaps not. I think there are blades just as good within the same price range that do not require importing yourself. That said, there's nothing really to hate here IMO. No idea about longevity if that is a factor for anyone.
pearlmax.jpg

Top Bottom