What's new

Tenkara Fishing

Tenkara (Translates "From the Heavens")
This write up will, no doubt, read as a testimony of sorts about one man’s conversion to Tenkara fly fishing. I do not pretend to be a master, but I do believe that Tenkara can do a great deal for the backpacker, the results oriented, and the western fisherman that’s looking to detox from the high tech angling world in which we are stationed.
Tenkara is simple. The mantra is repeated time and again: rod, line, and fly. I grew up fishing all over the lakes and rivers of Wisconsin, with the bulk of time in my formative years spent on a Lake Michigan charter boat stalking salmon, browns, lakers, and rainbows. We used GEAR to fish. GPS, Radar, Sonar, and any other little trick to give us an edge over the next guy offering a fun filled weekend. And we caught fish like you wouldn’t believe, to the point that it wasn’t even exciting to hook into that 30lber or a thrill to see a rainbow flying through the air, fresh hooked. In my later teens the siren song of the rivers beckoned me, and I went. This was simple fishing: just a reel, line, weights, and a worm. Even simpler was throwing and gently retrieving a spinner. But GAS (gear acquisition syndrome, a close relative of ad) soon took over, and I was off buying high end rods and reels for the simple joy of fishing the rivers in my home country. It got complicated again, and I murdered the fish every time I went out. I was accomplished on my river.
Tenkara didn’t start as a minimalist pilgrimage, though for some it is so. For me, it was a way to save weight on through hikes and backpacking trips. A 2.7 ounce rod was more than appealing. Tenkara: rod, line, and fly. I’d fly fished before, but there was something pure about the idea of what amounted in my mind to Japanese cane pole fishing. The weight savings were enough that I decided to give this foreign method a try.
When the rod from Tenkara USA arrived, I was a little underwhelmed. It was light and felt flimsy in the hand. My grandfather had also taught me to, “Never trust telescoping rods”, and this thing was a 12 foot telescopic that packed down to around 20 inches. When I thought I had a handle on the technique, it was off to the river.
The first thing I noticed was just how limited I was with only a 12 foot rod and 16 or so feet of line. Suddenly, I had to stalk the fish instead of sniping from a comfortable vantage point far away. I instantly went from a high tech “Pro” fisherman to a child next to a river with a stick in my hand. Never had I contemplated things like stalking fish or needing to cast upstream and allow the river to guide my fly to the fish. It was a high that no amount of gear could have provided. After a few failed ventures, it happened. I went to a promising eddy and observed all the signs of rising trout. A near perfect cast resulted in a 14 inch rainbow, after a fight that rivaled anything I’d seen on the big pond. With such a light rod, I thought I’d hooked into a whale. For most of the battle, the tip of my rod was closer to the water than I’d ever dreamed it could safely. It was holy, and pure, and inspired. Just a rod, line, and fly.
Tenkara isn’t for everyone, but I’d venture the guess that it’s for some of the people here. It was salvation for me. Fishing came alive again in a way that I’ve never experienced and it became more real somehow. I’ve only on very rare occasions loosed a fish, but I released that first rainbow. The moment felt so surreal that I couldn’t cheapen it by claiming to be the victor. I’ve caught, and ate, many since that first but I don’t feel like the champion of the river anymore. I’m a student, and glad to be.

P.S. As for results, Tenkara was most likely developed by commercial fishermen in Japanese mountain streams. It’s efficient. My best trip last year netted over 30 fish in the first 2 hours.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You definitely got my attention. I've never fly fished before. The way you describe it sounds relaxing and fun. Even thrilling because if how basic it sounds.

So is Tenkara more of a style of fishing or is it what the gear is called? I see the poles are called Tenkara. But in order to be Tenkara fishing can you use different but similar poles and gear?

I'd say both. The main things that differentiate Tenkara are technique and the limits that are created for the fisherman. You can certainly fish Tenkara like just about any style of fly fishing (Czech nymphing, for example is AMAZING with Tenkara), but traditional Tenkara is a tight line technique designed to keep all but a few inches of the line off of the water at all times. The main thing that usually spooks the fish when western fly fishing, aside from the fisherman, is the line laying on the water/falling on the water. With this method, only the fly and a section of tippet make water contact.
That said, before the real gear made it to America people were experimenting with using long crappie poles and the like to try and create the feel of a whippy Japanese Tenkara rod. Heck, Dave Canterbury even makes bushcraft Tenkara rods with cane or long saplings and para-cord.
Having a "real" Tenkara rod does make it easier to fish with good technique. If you're going to give fly fishing a go, Tenkara will be cheaper (where have you heard that before?). A quality rod can be had for around $100-$150, and the only other things you need are tippet, line (be it traditional braided, level, or titanium), and some flies.

All things old are new again. If you compare Tenkara tackle and technique with what's described in The Treatise of Fishing with an Angle published in England in the Fifteenth Century you'll find a remarkable resemblance. Fixed lines (made of braided horsehair) attached to the tip of long rods (we're talking 14-18 feet) were standard equipment. Reels, line guides and extendable line are relatively new developments in fly fishing tackle. The earliest recorded account of fly fishing dates to the 4th Century.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'd say both. The main things that differentiate Tenkara are technique and the limits that are created for the fisherman. You can certainly fish Tenkara like just about any style of fly fishing (Czech nymphing, for example is AMAZING with Tenkara), but traditional Tenkara is a tight line technique designed to keep all but a few inches of the line off of the water at all times. The main thing that usually spooks the fish when western fly fishing, aside from the fisherman, is the line laying on the water/falling on the water. With this method, only the fly and a section of tippet make water contact.
That said, before the real gear made it to America people were experimenting with using long crappie poles and the like to try and create the feel of a whippy Japanese Tenkara rod. Heck, Dave Canterbury even makes bushcraft Tenkara rods with cane or long saplings and para-cord.
Having a "real" Tenkara rod does make it easier to fish with good technique. If you're going to give fly fishing a go, Tenkara will be cheaper (where have you heard that before?). A quality rod can be had for around $100-$150, and the only other things you need are tippet, line (be it traditional braided, level, or titanium), and some flies.

Thanks for the info.

All things old are new again. If you compare Tenkara tackle and technique with what's described in The Treatise of Fishing with an Angle published in England in the Fifteenth Century you'll find a remarkable resemblance. Fixed lines (made of braided horsehair) attached to the tip of long rods (we're talking 14-18 feet) were standard equipment. Reels, line guides and extendable line are relatively new developments in fly fishing tackle. The earliest recorded account of fly fishing dates to the 4th Century.
That cycle has always amazed me. We shave with "old" technology, though many would claim that newer is better. Tenkara rods today are made out of modern materials, but they do their best to mimic what poor farmers made out of bamboo and cheap horsehair. Simply amazing.

Hello

Dickerson is my six shooter with the dry fly. You need to get onboard at the Classic Fly Rod forum.

Men do not realize it.
It is not the trout that men seek when they go fly fishing!
Henry David Thoureau

Nice day my friend

Jimmy

Top Bottom