What's new

Tempur-Pedic beds

Tempur-Pedic beds: Anyone tried them? What did you think? Good for couples? Too hot? Did you try to return it?

Mr. Crafty and I are considering getting a new bed and have our eyes on one of those.

Anecdotal evidence really won't give you an idea of whether or not you and your significant other will like a memory foam mattress. Tempurpedic should have a 90-day trial period so you can try out the bed and see if it will work.

I've had one for going on 10 years now. LOVE it. Absolutely will not even think of buying another style of bed.

And I bought mine long enough ago that they didn't have the different "levels" of softness. Make no mistake though, they are a VERY firm mattress. It feels like a cloud when you first lay down, but then you are supported from head to toe with exactly the right level of support for your individual body.

One of the best parts though, to me anyway, is if one of you has to get up to use the restroom, get a drink, etc, it doesn't transfer motion so you're much less likely to wake the other one.

I think most distributors give a 90 night trial now. And IMO, you need at least half of that to determine if it's right for you. Some people don't like the firmness. And the first week or so takes quite a bit of adjustment. My body was actually more sore the first few nights. This is due to your muscular and skeletal system getting back into their proper alignment. So it's pulling your muscles in ways they're not used to. But that went away completely after the 3rd or fourth night.

Can you tell I like them???? They really are the best mattress out there IMO. Well worth every penny!

But back to the task at hand (I'm looking at you, Rich!). Has anyone given them a try? What did you think?

I have had one for 3 years and love it. It is a bit warmer than most beds, which some people don't like. It is one of the few products that I have tried that lives up to all it's adveritising claims. I have heard that 80% of people that try Tempurpedics love them immediately, and of the remaining 20%, half of those come to like the bed after a couple of weeks. The last 10% never come to like the beds. There are a few hotels that have tempurpedic beds, so you mihgt look for one of those to give it a try. If you do the in home trial, hang on to your original bed, just in case. I used to have a sore back every morning, but it is much improved using the Tempurpedic.

SWMBO and I have a memory foam mattress. It is not a Tempur-Pedic but it has been is a great mattress thus far. We have had the mattress almost a year and love it. It is a firm mattress but not hard. It sort of envelops you when you lay down. I have noticed that I do not toss and turn nearly as much as I did before the memory foam mattress. Same with the wife- it has been great for her back. The difference in types of mattresses is quite evident when staying away from home. It is nice to get back home to the memory foam.

We have one as well. for 4 years. I would never go back to a regular bed. The Tempurpedic allows the natural curves of your body and spine to be maintained, so it's extremely comfy.

Regular mattresses sag under your weight, to the point where your body is not in a natural position. And firmer mattresses resist the curves in your body from being able to gently press down. So either way, your body isn't really allowed to be in its most natural position.

Loving the info, gents. Keep it coming.

We need to get rid of our old bed no matter what. We HATE it. We have a feather bed on top of it right now because last time we were going to get a new bed, we couldn't choose, so we kept the old. Now the feather topper needs to be replaced, so we're looking again at mattresses. We're at a point where we can spend a little more for quality. We'll certainly do the home trial, so we can decide whether we want to keep it. I'm a little worried, though, because I've *heard* they are hard to return if you don't like them, regardless of the guarantee. I hope that's not true.

As further information, neither Mr. Crafty or I feel like we sleep well. Ever. And I always wake up stiff. I'm just too young for that sort of thing. Maybe this will help.

I have one for a little over a year now. It's everything they say it is. It's kind of like when you are in it the bed really disappears. I also have a sleep number bed and this beats that by 10 miles. Of course they have many models so you have to buy the one with the qualities you like.

There are many other memory foams units out there for way less money and many feel the same at first but over time they will deteriorate while the tempur will not.

It took me about 2 weeks to really appreciate it. The first few days I didn't like it at all.

We'll certainly do the home trial, so we can decide whether we want to keep it. I'm a little worried, though, because I've *heard* they are hard to return if you don't like them, regardless of the guarantee. I hope that's not true.

I used to manage a store for Brookstone, originally the only place you could actually buy one without going directly through Tempur-Pedic. We had a three point return questionnaire we had to ask the customer prior to processing the return. "Did you try X, did you remember to Y, etc." But this was back when you actually needed to "break in" the mattress. That's no longer necessary in the new models.

So I will say that if for some reason, you don't like it and decide to return it, you will very likely get a sales pitch on why you shouldn't. But as with anything you want to return, stay resolute on your decision. The actual return process is pretty painless.

But as someone else pointed out, don't get rid of your old mattress right away in case you do need to return it.

in california the state teamed up with the petro-chemical fund donaters awhile back and passed the most severe fire retardant mattress laws in the country...the average queen size mattress is sprayed with 1 1/2 lbs. of highly toxic anti flame chemicals,that last for years and leach out every time you toss and turn...the way out for me was an organic mattress made with pure latex rubber,talalay method,not dunlop...these beds have ticking made from organic wool/cotton that is ,by nature,non flammable..it will smolder but not ignite...it is the most comfortable and back supportive bed I ever owned,and they can last 30 years...these memory mattresses and tempurpedic do not meet the wool ticking standards,and are loaded with petro-chemicals,including benzene and its offshoots...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Tempur-Pedic beds: Anyone tried them? What did you think? Good for couples? Too hot? Did you try to return it?

Mr. Crafty and I are considering getting a new bed and have our eyes on one of those.

Have one in the truck and we are planning on getting one for home. I'll leave the hotness alone for a moment, but imagine two adults sleeping in an extra long TWIN bed. Even in such close quarters, the memory foam/tempurpedic mattress does not disrupt the other person every time you move.

We will be opting for the queen size at home.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
in california the state teamed up with the petro-chemical fund donaters awhile back and passed the most severe fire retardant mattress laws in the country...the average queen size mattress is sprayed with 1 1/2 lbs. of highly toxic anti flame chemicals,that last for years and leach out every time you toss and turn...the way out for me was an organic mattress made with pure latex rubber,talalay method,not dunlop...these beds have ticking made from organic wool/cotton that is ,by nature,non flammable..it will smolder but not ignite...it is the most comfortable and back supportive bed I ever owned,and they can last 30 years...these memory mattresses and tempurpedic do not meet the wool ticking standards,and are loaded with petro-chemicals,including benzene and its offshoots...

Would you please post a name and/or link. Thanks.

Well...yeah... but still...

Don't you have a czardom to run? :001_smile

:lol::lol::lol:

My wife and I had a memory foam mattress and loved it. However, we did have trouble with it sagging in the middle. We may have just gotten a cheap one though.

Just an amusing thing. We did not initially have a box spring or anything. Just the mattress on the floor. When it was brand new, I was amused by standing at the foot and falling backwards onto it. You don't bounce or anything. You just "plop" into place. It's a weird feeling.

I don't know about most of the facts here, but as a firefighter, I can verify the flammability. We called foam cushioning solid gas because it burns so hot and fast. But this is true of all of your furniture. Anyone that has ever burned a couch (Don't do it!) can tell you, those mothers are nearly explosive! LOL Mattresses are no better.

Can you use a Temper-pedic mattress with an existing box spring?

I've hated the mattress on our bed for years. My back aches like a **** every morning because of its sagging. I'd love to try one of these, but I'd also prefer to keep the existing box spring.

Top Bottom