What's new

Templeton Rye.

Hello ladies and gents,
I would like to know if anyone has ever tried Templeton Rye, and what your thoughts on this Rye whiskey are. My mother in law gave me a bottle of this straight from the distillery (she lives 5 miles away) this past christmas, and I have to say....Delicious. It's a bit astringent off the top, but when the flavor mellows out on the finish, there is a good smokiness and oakiness to it. If you have never heard of this whiskey, I suggest trying a nip if you can find it.

I love it, my favorite rye by far. I can drink it so many ways. In Old-Fashioned's or neat or with an ice cube or two. My favorite drink is 2 fingers of Templeton, 2 ice cubes and 3 dashes of Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters.

That was Al Capone's favorite spirit. When I used to drink, i loved rye and had a sick collection, Templeton, Pig Whistle, Michter's, Hudson Valley, Rittenhouse Bonded (which is criminally underated). I used to make Manhattan's for my friends with Templeton, Jerry Thomas Bitters, Carpano Antica and just a drop of the juice that I marinated my cherries in (henny xo, cinnamon, cloves, two cardamon pods, and a dash of rich simple syrup)

It is very good rye. I read a little more into the Templeton "story" a bit, and read what the hardcore folks say about where it's distilled, and how it came about. It's only 80 proof, so I think it's quite drinkable as others have suggested. My advice is to branch out more when this bottle gets low, that way you may find others that are just as good if not better. It's all highly subjective of course, but that's the fun right? Trying others and deciding what fits your taste and budget. Cheers!

I was recently in Iowa visiting family and picked up a bottle. Didn't really think much of it at first, but it has really grown on me - quite tasty.

Great stuff. I don't drink much rye but Templeton is quite delicious. I had a bear of a time finding it the last time I went to Iowa. I occasionally see it on the shelves down here but I get the impression it can be hard to come by a lot of the time.

I finally got to try it out in LV a week and a half ago, honestly not my favorite Rye...no offense to those above, i respect individual tastes/likes...but this one wasn't for me, i found it good, just not great; maybe it would grow on me too if i could keep a bottle in my cabinet, its just not available here.

what I did get to have again out there is one I love, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye! that one is a home Run...hard to find for me where I am, but always look for it when I am at the Baccarat Bar in the Bellagio!

I’m a big fan of ryes. Al Capone connection is no more than a sale gimmick. Original whiskey was made, as name implies, in Templeton, Iowa. It is now distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Same distillery makes Redemption and Bulleit.
I never tried Templeton neat. Had it as Ward 8. It was very good. I’m notsure how long it was aged. I don’t remember the bottle stating aging or notingthat it was straight.

It is now distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Same distillery makes Redemption and Bulleit.

I enjoy Templeton, but I wouldn't buy it again once I found this out awhile back. It's generally priced at least $10 above other Ryes made at the same facility that are supposedly made from the same recipe.

I enjoy Templeton, but I wouldn't buy it again once I found this out awhile back. It's generally priced at least $10 above other Ryes made at the same facility that are supposedly made from the same recipe.

I can't recall having Redemption rye but Templeton and Bulleit are distinctly different. I've met these guys a few times and found them to be genuinely proud of their whiskey. Although it is distilled in the same place the recipe is different. I wouldn't hold it against them. This is not uncommon in the whiskey world. Pappy Van Winkle is distilled by Buffalo Trace since 2002. I remember seeing a formidable list of whiskies distilled by Heaven Hill.

I can't recall having Redemption rye but Templeton and Bulleit are distinctly different. I've met these guys a few times and found them to be genuinely proud of their whiskey. Although it is distilled in the same place the recipe is different. I wouldn't hold it against them. This is not uncommon in the whiskey world. Pappy Van Winkle is distilled by Buffalo Trace since 2002. I remember seeing a formidable list of whiskies distilled by Heaven Hill.

Exactly. Big +1

I was never able to find VW Rye at any of my local stores. VW also costs a bit more; $50. You should also try Sazerac 18 rye.

I've always found Sazerac rye a little too spicy for my taste. Does the aging bring out the spice or mellow it?

I've always found Sazerac rye a little too spicy for my taste. Does the aging bring out the spice or mellow it?

the older Sazerac Ryes do mellow out for sure, The Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye (be prepared for a $80-100 price point) is another fantastic juice, I have to revisit the young Sazerac again if my shop ever gets it back...

on a side note....I dont like the games Sazerac/BT place with the way they supposedly make shops buy their products up this way...(what i have been told, if you do not purchase X amount of the "low end stuff" they wont sell you any of the PVW/VW/or the better Sazerac/BT bottles, and even then each shop may get less than a case if only a bottle here or there of the good juice...can anyone confirm this???)

Honest question, isn't that how most ryes start, with a strong alcohol smell that mellows into a sweeter finish?

no, in my experience, my more enjoyable experiences with ryes have not had that overwhelming alcohol smell, even the higher proof T.H. Sazerac had a gorgeous smooth nose to it, before i added a touch of water to bring down the heat...granted some do, i agree, but you could say that about almost any spirit out there...

Top Bottom