What's new

Tell us bout your Adaee #12000 (not your other Cnats)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a question. Have you seen the DMD diamond stones on aliexpress. Id be super interested in how they are if you ever try them. Considering trying one sometime maybe
I have seen them but never tried one. I personally never use a diamond stone/plate on a SR. My thoughts are that they are too hash on the bevel/edge due to the nature of the abrasive. I just use Csynth, Jsynth, naturals, lapping films and diamond pasted balsa to hone my SRs. I do however use diamond plates to refresh my whetstone when they need a light relapping.

As a bevel should only need setting and refining once, I don't mind putting in a bit of time to achieve my goals. For edge refresh, all I use is naturals or diamond pasted balsa.

By all means give the DMD diamond stones a tryout. They may work for you and give you an edge that you are happy with.

I got my ADAEE Friday. Today I lapped it (both sides arrived perfect but i lapped to be safe). I dove in with 2 eBay razors that would not shave arm hair. Checked bevel with sharpie and confirmed neither needed tape. The GRS GARANTIE 107 went straight to the ADAEE, I used a slurry with 8k nagura. It took about 20 min on the stone, stropped 30 passes on cotton, 60 passes on leather. Back in shaving shape.

The second razor “Radiumite” was in bad shape and had some pitting on the bevel. I started from scratch. I killed what edge it had, set a bevel on a king 1000. Spent about 10 min on a king 6000 and about 20 on the ADAEE. Roughly an hour for 2 eBay razors and a touch up on mu ERN crown and sword. All finished with the same stropping. All shave ready.

I have no complaints. I am not getting in the stropping business, I just want to maintenance my own equipment.
IMG_1249.jpeg

Can you give any advice to a SR finishing newbie ?
He's no longer an active member on the forum.

As you have read in the posts above, there are some members who have and use(d) one. Most seem to consider it a questionable finisher. I am pretty new to honing myself and am still testing and comparing edges on my 3 finishers.

It is a natural stone, so one stone can be better than the next. Some will speculate that the grit rating has been done randomly to push sales or by lack of QC and will compare the result of this stone to a much lower rated stone, say 6k or 8k.
You'll have read that some of the earlier post state both succes and failure using it.

I use my adaee 12k with water and lather, I really like the way the stone feels and works, which is why I haven't given up on it yet. Mine is certainly capable of delivering a shaveable edge. That's after progressing it from bevel set on a 1k through a rouge du salm hybrid, folowed by a barber hone or la lune.

Like I said, I am still in the testing phase, comparing it to a La Lune stone and a vintage translucent Arkensas.

You say it's your only finisher. I am assuming your razors are already shave ready and you're just looking for something to freshen up the edge?
In that case just give it a try with water and lather and test, test, test.

Use Cherry tomatoes, arm and leghair. You can inspect the edge with a loupe or microsope to see what happens after a # of laps and to check whether your bevel's been properly set and your honing has been done consistently across the edge.

But the real test is in the shave.

Use it and see what happens. It helps if you have a "beater" razor to toy with on your hone testing. That way you can keep your shave ready, pro honed one by hand to compare level of comfort, keen-and smoothness.

@kfd518 It doesn't hit the edge, but I use the opposite side.

This was the first stone I bought from the seller, there is no problem with the second stone. First of all, it is a better finisher than the old PHIG 12K. It's faster and runs better than most slates I've tried lately. I get shaves close to the Thuringian edge. I bought the second one because I liked the stone, but I haven't tested it yet. It is worth a try, but based on my past experience with PHIG Chinese 12k, I doubt that the same standard can be found in every stone.

Top Bottom