What's new

Tell me more about waterproof inks...

Are there any that are relatively easy to use without pen clogging issues? If so, what pens play nice with them?

I've heard about Lamy blue/black, Diamine Registrar's Ink, and the Noodler's Bulletproof inks but have no experience with them...

One thing I don't want is an ink that takes forever to dry.

The inks I'm using right now are Lamy Blue, Diamine Sapphire Blue, and Diamine Turquoise...all are basically trouble free and don't take too long to dry, but I know they aren't waterproof.

I do not believe that the waterproof property of an ink is directly correlated to its flow or capacity to clog a feed. I haven't had a great deal of experience with Noodler's Bulletproof series but I do use a great deal of iron gall inks and they work splendidly on most paper, even the cheap office paper. The Lamy has grown on me- in the wrong pen it looks all washed out but in the right pen (a wet one) the color is very nice. Diamine is another winner. XFountainpen sells rebranded Diamine as Chesterfield so you can save a bit of $ on the Registrar's Ink if you decide to go that route. It is very much a YMMV, depending on the pen, the paper, etc. Perhaps a few samples would help you narrow down your alternatives?

I'm starting to favor Namiki Blue Ink as something that I think of as safe for any pen; I assume their black has the same characteristics. The link is to show the exact one I mean; it can be bought from a number of dealers. Although I don't know that it's advertised as waterproof, by my own test it does a good job. That test is to write a couple of lines on paper, wait five or ten minutes, then put it in the sink and run the tap on it. It can blur a little at the edges, but basically does as well as the Noodler's ones I've tried. Not that there's anything wrong with Noodler's, but I don't want to try Kung Te-Cheng in my Esterbrooks.

Oh yes, I think it looks good, too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Noodler's black is waterproof & bulletproof, and is a great performer. (If you like black.) Kung Te-cheng is also very nice, and a quick dry. I'd suggest trying samples of those two, as well as whichever of the Warden Series most interests you. The recently released Liberty's Elysium seems a good one too, but I have no experience with it ... it may be slow-drying.

The two Limited Edition inks made for Badger and Blade (by Noodler's) are both waterproof, and great performers. Benevolent Badger Blue is the faster drying of the two.

... Not that there's anything wrong with Noodler's, but I don't want to try Kung Te-Cheng in my Esterbrooks.

Nathan Tardiff has stated that the "warning" on Kung Te-cheng is a tongue-in-cheek jab at the critics who complained about Baystate Blue dissolving their pens, rather than an "actual warning" ... so KTC is fine to use in any pen.

...Nathan Tardiff has stated that the "warning" on Kung Te-cheng is a tongue-in-cheek jab at the critics who complained about Baystate Blue dissolving their pens, rather than an "actual warning" ... so KTC is fine to use in any pen.

Yes, and I've seen other people mention using it in favorite pens, I've used it successfully in the pen that came with it, and really like the color. Unfortunately, when I tried it in my Lamy Safari, it got so clogged it wouldn't write, and then it was very hard to clean out of the pen. The same pen worked fine before and after with Lamy Blue, so I'm not sure what was going on with the KTC, but I'm keeping it away from my Esties. I'll try it in something a little better than the Platinum Preppy, though, once I empty that.

SmoovD, what types of iron gall inks are you using?

Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have store near me that actually stocks the Registrar's ink (which is where I buy my ink right now), as well as a few different Noodler's varieties, but I haven't looked closely to see what they actually stock.

Given all the people reporting issues with the Noodlers inks, if I do try them, it would be in a really cheap pen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nathan Tardiff has stated that the "warning" on Kung Te-cheng is a tongue-in-cheek jab at the critics who complained about Baystate Blue dissolving their pens, rather than an "actual warning" ... so KTC is fine to use in any pen.

BSB turned me into a newt.

I got better.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Given all the people reporting issues with the Noodlers inks, if I do try them, it would be in a really cheap pen.

Noodler's makes babies and bathwater.

Given that they make well over a hundred inks ... there's got to be a few duds in there somewhere. But there are also some great inks that work splendidly. Don't write them off because some people complain about specific inks they make ...

(... and for that matter, I've heard people make complaints about Iron Gall inks as well. :mellow:)

I will not use an iron gall ink because it eats pen parts and dissolves paper.
I will not use Noodler's ink because it causes pens to dissolve.

These are both complaints that I have heard and they both, like all good propaganda, have some truth to them. I DO use both and am very happy with the inks and I feel very comfortable loading these inks in my vintage Parker, Scheafer's and Esterbrooks. I also run the inks in Noodler, Hero and platinum pens. I have noticed that some of the Super Saturated inks from Noodler's are more difficult to clean out of the pens.

I am currenty using Noodler's Aircorp blue and Noodler's 5 o'clock shadow in several pens right now and my wife has Noodler's concord grape loaded into her Hero at the moment.

That said, you can order a sample vial from Goulet Pens of just about any ink they sell. It is a great way to try several different inks without the commitment of an entire bottle.

SmoovD, what types of iron gall inks are you using?

Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to have store near me that actually stocks the Registrar's ink (which is where I buy my ink right now), as well as a few different Noodler's varieties, but I haven't looked closely to see what they actually stock.

Sorry for the delay... I use Diamine RI, ESSRI, Pharmacist's IG and old formula Lamy Bl/Bl. My favorite would be a toss-up between ESSRI and Pharmacist's IG. Edit to add the R&K IGs: Salix and Scabiosa. They are great, too.

I have no issues with IG but then I tend flush/flush my pens frequently. At least once a week is about the norm. If you don't mind regular maintenance IG inks are wonderful performers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom