What's new

Teenager and cologne

Do the high school girls like the scent?

When my son (1 year old) gets old enough to have the birds & the bees talk, I'm going to figure out what scent the girls find most repulsive. Then I'm going to talk about how much I hate it. I figure, in doing so, he'll feel compelled to wear it, unknowingly driving the ladies away, and then I won't have to worry about anything. It also avoids that awkward conversation in which I try to explain sex, and then he tells me he learned about it years ago from the internet.

A couple of years back it fell to me to teach my oldest grandson how to shave. Did that and got him a good de razor and some kit. When we were going through the whole bit, I had him sniff through my collection of fragrances to see what he liked. He now uses St. Johns Bay Rum, Royal Briar and Cool Water (never got to like the last one and gave him the bottle). Told him to use them sparingly and have never really noticed any over application; then again, I'm not around when he gets himself together for social encounters. He left for his first year of college two days ago, so it's really out of my sphere of influence.

A couple of years back it fell to me to teach my oldest grandson how to shave. Did that and got him a good de razor and some kit. When we were going through the whole bit, I had him sniff through my collection of fragrances to see what he liked. He now uses St. Johns Bay Rum, Royal Briar and Cool Water (never got to like the last one and gave him the bottle). Told him to use them sparingly and have never really noticed any over application; then again, I'm not around when he gets himself together for social encounters. He left for his first year of college two days ago, so it's really out of my sphere of influence.
You're a wonderful grandfather. I'm sure he'll remember his wetshaving time with you, forever!

I agree with the posters mentioning kids this age also have a problem with application quantity control. My wife is super sensitive to those sharp, bug repellent smelling scents and one day she set a rule that if they needed a ride somewhere they better go extremely light on it or wait to apply after they reach their destination. It gives her nasty headaches and sinus reactions.

I have three boys and two girls. The boy's ages are 12, 18 & 23 and I have to fight them to stay away from my fragrances. My oldest loves Creed, the 18yr old won't stay away from my Tom Ford and the 12yr old just likes to play in my aftershaves, lol. I blame myself though, because they've grown up watching me wear all manner of fragrance. From the very cheapest to the priciest of juices. Sadly they don't care for Animale Animale, lol...which I love to wear as a bumming around frag.

Soooo, birthday and Christmas presents are filled with fragrances around here. I do however, refuse to buy them Creed and Tom Ford fragrances. I told them that mine were off limits and if they wanted to wear expensive fragrances then they needed to get a job!!

I've also had the "application" discussion with them, because too much of even the best smelling fragrance is repulsive. My oldest and youngest get it, however, the 18yr old is hopeless and I try to stay upwind of him most days anyway :)

Last edited:
This reminds me that I really should pick up a bottle of my dad's scent Canoe and my grandfather's scent St Johns Bay Rum. And yes, I wore Polo (Green, the only Polo at the time) in boarding school. Heck, girls pretty much insisted we wore Polo.

I think one issue with it, and I have been guilty of this myself, is that if they can't smell it they think no one else can, so they reapply many times throughout the day

Top Bottom